• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    He was a good guy. He was in the reserves, worked out of stout field, and did all the local funerals. He was an Iraq war veteran, that didnt get killed in some 3rd world hell hole but got killed in a section 8 apartment hell hole in Indiana. He had been trying to have a kid for 8 years and finally had one 2 years ago. I guess the lure of a cheap christmas gift was too much to pass up. no suspects…as far as you know yes.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    1. Was the robbery separate from the IPad deal? Or is there proof they are connected?

2. This is why you need life insurance if you are married and have kids.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I guess I'm the only person left that is yet to transact any business over/through Craig's List :dunno:

I actually bought a car this year through a contact on CL. The guy wanted to meet at McDonalds (so I supposed he didn't want me to know where he lived). He was more nervous than I, so I felt safe. It was a great transaction all around. But I'm probably going to think twice next time I need a used car.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    He was a good guy. He was in the reserves, worked out of stout field, and did all the local funerals. He was an Iraq war veteran, that didnt get killed in some 3rd world hell hole but got killed in a section 8 apartment hell hole in Indiana. He had been trying to have a kid for 8 years and finally had one 2 years ago. I guess the lure of a cheap christmas gift was too much to pass up. no suspects…as far as you know yes.

This makes me feel physically ill.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just sick. So close to home. Another innocent person lost. I hope they catch whoever the scum bag or bags that did this.
    if they used a public computer to stay anonymous as mentioned above let's hope a camera caught them! Get this bastard!

Bad craigslist deal detector - section 8 is your first clue

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Good advice about CL deals here. However, carrying a gun to a set-up may not save your life. They have to have a reason to be too scared to try their ambush. No thread jacking meant, and I do know this will start something, but if you are unsure about a CL deal and still insist on going I would OC. If the bg does have something planned it may make them think twice. I wouldn't do this for every CL deal, just use discretion people.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I actually bought a car this year through a contact on CL. The guy wanted to meet at McDonalds (so I supposed he didn't want me to know where he lived). He was more nervous than I, so I felt safe. It was a great transaction all around. But I'm probably going to think twice next time I need a used car.
    Didn't you have to give him the title so that both of you had to sign? The title has name and address on it.

I sold a car on CL once and was amazed how quick and easy it was. Met the guy at a very public place, during a very busy time and wasn't alone. Fortunately the title was in my wife's name with an old address.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    What a shame! Never heard of Craigslist until I came here and have never considered CL as a possibility. The only online FTF deals I've done with persons I don't know have been arranged through the INGO classifieds.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not sure what the Craigslist aspect of this really is, in any transaction between private individuals there is the potential for the deal to go bad. Newpaper classifieds, bulletin boards at the Y, flyers.

I have yet to work a robbery that was set up in a newspaper classified, bulletin board, or flyer at the Y. I've worked a metric butt-ton set up over Craigslist and BackPage.

1. Was the robbery separate from the IPad deal? Or is there proof they are connected?

No one in a position to know is authorized to release any details to the public at this time. It would be a reasonable assumption that more information will be available via the media at some point.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My wife was telling me about this last night...rule number one for buying stuff from craiglist, always meet in public. ALWAYS!

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The 10th street area from High School road and going south has became a pretty bad area with a lot of crime going on in all the apartments around this part of town.... It use to be nice at one time around there but now the apartments are filled with low life's. Sad to hear someone lost their life by some scumbags and I hope the next people they try to rob are arm and kill these scum bags. When I have my scanner on I always hear police being called to these apartments not to add many homes in the area are being broke into now. I will never deal on CL but if you decided to deal on CL please look at the areas crime rate before going. The place were this poor soul lost his life was called Wickford Commons was known for being a **** hole and is an affordable housing place which are known to breed lots of crime... Be safe INGOer's

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wow. That is disgusting beyond words.

I have bought and sold many items through CL. Including two puppies just last night. My wife and kids scoffed at my "tactical" drive-by of the sellers home and my detailed instructions of exactly how we would enter the home, how we would exit it and how we would behave in between. Turned out great. Got to meet a great lady and fellow Jack Russell lover. My daughter commented after leaving that though she felt my preparations were overkill, it made her feel good to have a plan when walking into an unknown situation.

Some Marine once said something to the effect of; be kind to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them. It's sad to have to treat your fellow man with such suspicion, but it does help your own long term survival.

My deepest condolences to this man's friends and family.

Top Bottom