Not open for further replies.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Might be something. Stay tuned.

STI-1499 Antibody has demonstrated in preclinical experiments (full results will be submitted to a peer-reviewed publication shortly):
    - 100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection of healthy cells after four days incubation
    - Specific binding to S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein and complete blockade of its interaction with ACE2 receptor
    SAN DIEGO, May 15, 2020

/PRNewswire/ -- Sorrento Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: SRNE, "Sorrento") announced today that its anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody, STI-1499, demonstrated 100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro virus infection experiment at a very low antibody concentration.

As recently announced, Sorrento aims to generate an antibody cocktail product that would act as a "protective shield" against SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection and remain effective even if virus mutations render a single antibody therapy less effective over time.

Sorrento has been diligently screening billions of antibodies in its proprietary G-MAB™ fully human antibody library and has so far identified hundreds of antibody candidates that bind the S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein. Approximately one dozen of these antibodies have demonstrated the ability to block the S1 protein's interaction with human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the receptor used for viral entrance into human cells. These blocking antibodies were further tested for their ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro SARS-CoV-2 virus infection model pursuant to a preclinical testing agreement for COVID-19 therapeutic candidates that was previously announced on March 31, 2020 (Sorrento Therapeutics).

Among the antibodies showing neutralizing activity, one antibody stood out for its ability to completely block SARS-CoV-2 infection of healthy cells in the experiments. STI-1499 completely neutralized the virus infectivity at a very low antibody dose, making it a prime candidate for further testing and development. Initial biochemical and biophysical analyses also indicate STI-1499 is a potentially strong antibody drug candidate.

Sorrento has determined STI-1499 will likely be the first antibody in the antibody cocktail (COVI-SHIELD™) it is developing, as recently announced. STI-1499 is also expected to be developed as a stand-alone therapy, (COVI-GUARD™) because of the high potency it has exhibited in experiments to date. Sorrento plans to request priority evaluation and accelerated review from regulators to determine the best pathway to make any potential treatment available as soon as possible. Sorrento's existing state-of-the-art cGMP antibody manufacturing facility in San Diego is expected to be able to produce up to two hundred thousand doses per month and the Company intends to produce a million doses at risk while seeking FDA approval for any STI-1499 product candidate. The Company is seeking potential government support and pharmaceutical partners to further scale up STI-1499 manufacturing capacity with a goal of potentially providing tens of millions of doses in a short period of time to meet the vast projected demand.

"Our STI-1499 antibody shows exceptional therapeutic potential and could potentially save lives following receipt of necessary regulatory approvals. We at Sorrento are working day and night to complete the steps necessary to get this product candidate approved and available to the waiting public," stated Dr. Henry Ji, Chairman and CEO of Sorrento.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    You realize the reason this virus is causing such a panic is because it can live on surfaces for 9 to 14 days, right? How many friggin masks do you have to rotate that far for all the businesses that require you wear them?

I think you're in for a very very rude awakening.

I believe that the 9 to 14 day tests were debunked for testing possitive on non viable remains of the virus.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is about as bad, or worse, of an analogy as the pizzing on the leg one.

I dunno - this guy can do three pizzas on one leg...
    Justin-Wadstein.jpg

And maybe you missed the purple...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You realize the reason this virus is causing such a panic is because it can live on surfaces for 9 to 14 days, right? How many friggin masks do you have to rotate that far for all the businesses that require you wear them?

Maybe you're missing the point - the mask isn't on your face so that you stop licking things...

Throw the mask in the oven, or wash it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    This would be awesome - don't let the damn virus in the cells and it can't replicate and you don't get sick.
    God, I hope this turns out to be safe and effective!

Might be something. Stay tuned.

STI-1499 Antibody has demonstrated in preclinical experiments (full results will be submitted to a peer-reviewed publication shortly):
    - 100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection of healthy cells after four days incubation
    - Specific binding to S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein and complete blockade of its interaction with ACE2 receptor
    SAN DIEGO, May 15, 2020

/PRNewswire/ -- Sorrento Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: SRNE, "Sorrento") announced today that its anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody, STI-1499, demonstrated 100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro virus infection experiment at a very low antibody concentration.

As recently announced, Sorrento aims to generate an antibody cocktail product that would act as a "protective shield" against SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection and remain effective even if virus mutations render a single antibody therapy less effective over time.

Sorrento has been diligently screening billions of antibodies in its proprietary G-MAB™ fully human antibody library and has so far identified hundreds of antibody candidates that bind the S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein. Approximately one dozen of these antibodies have demonstrated the ability to block the S1 protein's interaction with human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the receptor used for viral entrance into human cells. These blocking antibodies were further tested for their ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro SARS-CoV-2 virus infection model pursuant to a preclinical testing agreement for COVID-19 therapeutic candidates that was previously announced on March 31, 2020 (Sorrento Therapeutics).

Among the antibodies showing neutralizing activity, one antibody stood out for its ability to completely block SARS-CoV-2 infection of healthy cells in the experiments. STI-1499 completely neutralized the virus infectivity at a very low antibody dose, making it a prime candidate for further testing and development. Initial biochemical and biophysical analyses also indicate STI-1499 is a potentially strong antibody drug candidate.

Sorrento has determined STI-1499 will likely be the first antibody in the antibody cocktail (COVI-SHIELD™) it is developing, as recently announced. STI-1499 is also expected to be developed as a stand-alone therapy, (COVI-GUARD™) because of the high potency it has exhibited in experiments to date. Sorrento plans to request priority evaluation and accelerated review from regulators to determine the best pathway to make any potential treatment available as soon as possible. Sorrento's existing state-of-the-art cGMP antibody manufacturing facility in San Diego is expected to be able to produce up to two hundred thousand doses per month and the Company intends to produce a million doses at risk while seeking FDA approval for any STI-1499 product candidate. The Company is seeking potential government support and pharmaceutical partners to further scale up STI-1499 manufacturing capacity with a goal of potentially providing tens of millions of doses in a short period of time to meet the vast projected demand.

"Our STI-1499 antibody shows exceptional therapeutic potential and could potentially save lives following receipt of necessary regulatory approvals. We at Sorrento are working day and night to complete the steps necessary to get this product candidate approved and available to the waiting public," stated Dr. Henry Ji, Chairman and CEO of Sorrento.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This additional article from Dr. Blaylock cites some interesting affects of mask use, most not good. Several of you have discussed masks, particle sizes, wearing properly, etc. These studies seem to show there are just as many risks to mask wear, which may have been why CDC and WHO recommended against them in the beginning.

As for the scientific support for the use of face mask, a recent careful examination of the literature, in which 17 of the best studies were analyzed, concluded that, “ None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”[SUP]1 [/SUP]Keep in mind, no studies have been done to demonstrate that either a cloth mask or the N95 mask has any effect on transmission of the COVID-19 virus. Any recommendations, therefore, have to be based on studies of influenza virus transmission. And, as you have seen, there is no conclusive evidence of their efficiency in controlling flu virus transmission.

It is also instructive to know that until recently, the CDC did not recommend wearing a face mask or covering of any kind, unless a person was known to be infected, that is, until recently. Non-infected people need not wear a mask. When a person has TB we have them wear a mask, not the entire community of non-infected. The recommendations by the CDC and the WHO are not based on any studies of this virus and have never been used to contain any other virus pandemic or epidemic in history.

There is another danger to wearing these masks on a daily basis, especially if worn for several hours. When a person is infected with a respiratory virus, they will expel some of the virus with each breath. If they are wearing a mask, especially an N95 mask or other tightly fitting mask, they will be constantly rebreathing the viruses, raising the concentration of the virus in the lungs and the nasal passages. We know that people who have the worst reactions to the coronavirus have the highest concentrations of the virus early on. And this leads to the deadly cytokine storm in a selected number.

It gets even more frightening. Newer evidence suggests that in some cases the virus can enter the brain.[SUP]11,12[/SUP] In most instances it enters the brain by way of the olfactory nerves (smell nerves), which connect directly with the area of the brain dealing with recent memory and memory consolidation. By wearing a mask, the exhaled viruses will not be able to escape and will concentrate in the nasal passages, enter the olfactory nerves and travel into the brain.[SUP]13[/SUP]

It is evident from this review that there is insufficient evidence that wearing a mask of any kind can have a significant impact in preventing the spread of this virus. The fact that this virus is a relatively benign infection for the vast majority of the population and that most of the at-risk group also survive, from an infectious disease and epidemiological standpoint, by letting the virus spread through the healthier population we will reach a herd immunity level rather quickly that will end this pandemic quickly and prevent a return next winter. During this time, we need to protect the at-risk population by avoiding close contact, boosting their immunity with compounds that boost cellular immunity and in general, care for them.

https://www.technocracy.news/blaylock-face-masks-pose-serious-risks-to-the-healthy/

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    But, but, but,....I thought the whistle blower said we were 18 months to 6 years away from having a vaccine or effective treatment.
    And everyone knows we must believe the whistle blowers and the women when they attack or accuse Republicans.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

PCR tests have been positive from surfaces. That can be nonviable or even viral particles. AFAIK, no one has been able to culture infectious virus after several days.

Also, rotating masks helps keep them from getting moist and building up bacteria.

Most of us don't need to wear masks for hours in surgery. Frequent removal/rotation may help keep them cleaner in both regards.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This additional article from Dr. Blaylock cites some interesting affects of mask use, most not good. Several of you have discussed masks, particle sizes, wearing properly, etc. These studies seem to show there are just as many risks to mask wear, which may have been why CDC and WHO recommended against them in the beginning.

Curious, and carefully watching this.

This is where humans fail so badly - risk assessment. Happens everywhere.
    Anit-vax - "there's a risk of complications!"
    Motorcyclist - "there's a risk I might be a vegetable if I wear a helmet!"

Both ignore the the far more likely, and far more severe risk.

Not saying your wrong, just acknowledging human failings.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But, but, but,....I thought the whistle blower said we were 18 months to 6 years away from having a vaccine or effective treatment.
    And everyone knows we must believe the whistle blowers and the women when they attack or accuse Republicans.

Yeah....everyone likes to cite timelines related to when there is no desire to push regulatory delays aside...which is not now.

Makes you wonder how helpful all that regulation is under normal circumstances.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think you're in for a very very rude awakening.

Well, it seems there is some more conflicting information that we have to sort out. First they said that the virus can't be spread aerosolized. Then they said it could. They said masks weren't effective, so don't buy them all up, but the ones you did buy you should give to first responders....you know, because they're not effective. And then they said they are effective and that even cloth masks are effective. So then we have people cutting out masks from their underware. Because if two people are wearing pants, you won't get pissed on. Or something like that. And then we see some people saying, no, wearing masks is dangerous in itself because reasons.

Okay. So all that said. I have some N95 masks from some woodwork projects I did a few years ago. I hate them. It's hard to breath through them for long periods. I didn't use them then for that reason, which is why I still have them. So now, I only use them when I have to go somewhere indoors. I don't use them outside. I don't use them in my vehicles. I don't see the point. I don't need them often then. I work from home. I have few enough reasons to go out anywhere that it's days between uses.

The virus can live on hard surfaces for 9 - 14 days indoors. Masks aren't hard surfaces. So cloth and paper/cardbord it's like 24 hours. If you need it sooner, you can apply dry heat (160 deg F). So I think people are probably just fine as far as the virus living on their masks.

Where it's not fine is how many uses can you get from a N95 mask. That seems to be pretty much all over the place depending on who you ask. But from what seems to be the most reliable sources, who actually did some testing, it looks to me like they're not so good for more than 2 or 3 uses, depending on how you use them, and how you sanitize them. I don't have that many N95 masks that I can rotate for the few uses I could reliably get out of them and still have some left. So I'm using them more than recommended. And I'm starting to give fewer ****s about them. I hate wearing the ***damn things anyway.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Not sure who the whistleblower is (Is it that cop in his patrol car on the YouTubes?), but I've typically heard nine to twelve months.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I haven't listened yet. Did he claim that timeline for preliminary vaccine, or for full manufacturing and distribution? AFAIK the fastest a vaccine for a completely new disease has ever made it from start to distribution is 4 years.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not sure who the whistleblower is (Is it that cop in his patrol car on the YouTubes?), but I've typically heard nine to twelve months.

More realistic. Most of the time is spent in testing for safety and efficacy. The time to actually develop a formulation is comparatively short in a case like this where related viruses have been studied for several years already.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom