• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Germany's top soccer division, the Bundesliga, will return to play this weekend with some games. Lots of regulations trying to keep players apart before and after the game, no fans in the stands (to speak of), lots of other changes. All the players have to test negative before the game, and they are getting tested daily, I think. At least one lower level game has been postponed because 2 of the players tested positive in the last couple weeks.

Will be a live experiment in whether this kind of thing will work, but we won't really know the results for a few weeks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I guess that depends upon what "will work" means.

The very idea that a bunch of young men in peak physical condition may contract a disease which could potentially inconvenience them for a couple of weeks is terrifying.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

The very idea that a bunch of young men in peak physical condition may contract a disease which could potentially inconvenience them for a couple of weeks is terrifying.

Any other sport, I'd agree with you. But remember, this is soccer we're talking about...

giphy.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

The Euro press is keen to quote some of the players who point out that, in roughly the same numbers as here, minority/non-white populations may be more vulnerable to this. Now, here in the US, I tend to discount that with societal issues regarding socio-economic conditions and participation in available health care systems. Over there, where there's generally nationalized health care, that is probably different.

Plus, there's the issue that playing in these games with the kinds of inevitable interactions means they could be carriers to others. While these athletes are at low risk, for the duration of the season, they have to effectively quarantine themselves outside of the sport, too.

Now, they get paid a handsome amount for these sacrifices, so it is difficult to muster too much sympathy.

Just sayin' that it'll be interesting to watch how this plays out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Any other sport, I'd agree with you. But remember, this is soccer we're talking about...

Andres Gomes' leg break was every bit as gruesome as Joe Thiesman's. (And Son didn't deserve to be sent off.)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's what it looks like to me. But some people might think that the only explanation possible is much more nefarious, that "they" want the numbers inflated to perpetuate a continued lockdown to usher in the new world order. :tinfoil:

The 'they' that set the payment parameters, might 'they' not have known what the likely results would be, and thus 'they' were enabling an intended consequence rather than an unintended one. Not issuing any pardons just yet. 'They' don't seem to be interested in issuing any guidelines to push that count back towards some semblance of accuracy

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not sure who the whistleblower is (Is it that cop in his patrol car on the YouTubes?), but I've typically heard nine to twelve months.

9-12 months, likely of lockdown?

What kind of magical thinking do people operate on to think that there will be any businesses left to go back to work for, after that?

If we can print our way out of it, then why do we even bother working?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have updated some of the mapping for cases and deaths. Clicking on a county name will provide some population data and statistics. I have a technical counterpart in Little Rock so we have been comparing some data as Arkansas did not have a mandated stay-at-home order. There were some restrictions on dine-in restaurants, indoor concerts and shows but the decision to open/close distance, etc were up to the individuals. Little Rock did close some playgrounds and threatened people to stay apart, but folks were free to move about the state without threat of the governement.

Marion County IndianaPulaski County ArkansasDif%
    Population964,582391,91159%
    Density2,357/sq mi470/sq mi80%
    Cases7,79366192%
    Case/Mil8,0791,68779%
    Deaths4512395%
    Deaths/Mil4685987%

Presenting good, digestible data without agenda. Dude, you are one of the unsung (or at least sung sotto voce) heroes of this on INGO

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to qwerty again.

"Dammit, Janet"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    9-12 months, likely of lockdown?

What kind of magical thinking do people operate on to think that there will be any businesses left to go back to work for, after that?

If we can print our way out of it, then why do we even bother working?

Do people not even read in context any more?

I responded to this: [emphasis added]
    But, but, but,....I thought the whistle blower said we were 18 months to 6 years away from having a vaccine or effective treatment.
    And everyone knows we must believe the whistle blowers and the women when they attack or accuse Republicans.

I never said anything about lockdown. Where did you get that?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Do people not even read in context any more?

I responded to this: [emphasis added]

I never said anything about lockdown. Where did you get that?

Well, the new talking points in the media is forcing a lockdown until a vaccine is available and has been distributed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, the new talking points in the media is forcing a lockdown until a vaccine is available and has been distributed.

Well, it's not a talking point here. And, it also doesn't seem to be a an accepted one in the eyes of governors and mayors.

EDIT: nor with Indian call centers. Just got my first spam call since March.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    You're too late with this.

Restaurants and stores and other places have already reopened here.
    Beaches are opening in LA...

That's why I said 2 weeks. They'll end up saying infections are spreading too fast and that we reopened too early, and there will be a massive guilt trip push to reclose everything.

2 weeks, because that's roughly how long it takes for things to catch up with this virus.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    An article in The Lancet by Dr Johan Giesecke

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31035-7/fulltext
    The invisible pandemic

Who Dr Giesecke is:
    From 1995 to 2005, Giesecke served as state epidemiologist of Sweden. During a one-year sabbatical 1999-2000 he led a group at the World Health Organization working on the revision of the International Health Regulations. After this, he was Chief Scientist at the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control from 2005 to 2014. As of 2020, Giesecke is a member of the Strategic and Technical Advisory Group for Infectious Hazards of the World Health Organization, and also works as an advisor to the Public Health Agency of Sweden during the COVID-19 pandemic in Sweden.

It has become clear that a hard lockdown does not protect old and frail people living in care homes—a population the lockdown was designed to protect. Neither does it decrease mortality from COVID-19, which is evident when comparing the UK's experience with that of other European countries.

PCR testing and some straightforward assumptions indicate that, as of April 29, 2020, more than half a million people in Stockholm county, Sweden, which is about 20–25% of the population, have been infected (Hansson D, Swedish Public Health Agency, personal communication). 98–99% of these people are probably unaware or uncertain of having had the infection; they either had symptoms that were severe, but not severe enough for them to go to a hospital and get tested, or no symptoms at all. Serology testing is now supporting these assumptions.
    These facts have led me to the following conclusions. Everyone will be exposed to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, and most people will become infected. COVID-19 is spreading like wildfire in all countries, but we do not see it—it almost always spreads from younger people with no or weak symptoms to other people who will also have mild symptoms. This is the real pandemic, but it goes on beneath the surface, and is probably at its peak now in many European countries. There is very little we can do to prevent this spread: a lockdown might delay severe cases for a while, but once restrictions are eased, cases will reappear. I expect that when we count the number of deaths from COVID-19 in each country in 1 year from now, the figures will be similar, regardless of measures taken.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This video is about a lot more than Delta Airlines retiring all their triple-sevens. If anyone has any doubt about how much damage this has done to the US airline industry, this guy states it in plain language. It’s almost inconceivable the amount of wealth that has been destroyed in response to this pandemic...

I suspect that this will reduce operating costs long-term. The Airbus widebody equipment is more fuel-efficient, and standardizing on equipment will reduce maintenance costs, turnaround time, and other operating costs.

Delta finally retiring their POS MD88/90 equipment is music to my ears.

Sucks for the pilots, though.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Well I think the treatment for those with severe symptoms has certainly improved with time. The doctors are not quite so eager to kill people with ventilators as they were. They have found some drugs that may help. The treatment will continue to improve as we get better at it. It always does.

There are more and more potential plasma donors all the time and there are some actual accurate tests available now and more being developed. The situation is improving for those that have not been infected yet. That is a good thing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    But, but, but... muh CDC guidelines!

(Clearly, those guidelines are as effective as Gun Free Zone signs...)

The CDC says it is up to the doctor. Clearly, the doctor has a legitimate opinion on what the cause should be listed as.

This is a bureaucracy problem.

There are valid reasons to report: positive cases of COVID, deaths from COVID, deaths of people who were COVID positive but died from something else. That last group is sometimes also treated as "resolved" cases, I believe. (I'll throw in my personal gripe about non-reporting of critical cases, too.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom