Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Coronavirus Has Infected 2.8 Percent of Hoosiers, Says New Study

The infection-fatality rate for COVID-19 in Indiana is 0.58 percent, nearly six times worse than seasonal flu.

This will make everyone feel like we're on the right track.

Regarding these results for Indiana... We’ve recently seen articles where in some states, at least currently, and maybe in some states, overall, LTC homes have contributed greatly to the death toll. I wonder how that .58% rate is spread across age groups and LTC residents?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Enter, the "chip" - or the indoctrination of an idea soon to come.

People are gleefully staring down the barrel of a gun right now and refuse to acknowledge it.

Just a bit of wisdom for you folks. Those "temporary" measures you're all in favor of, won't be temporary. Be careful with what you're giving up, because you're not going to get it back.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Video is the real space hog so it depends if they include video. Music isn't bad without video and forum posts are peanuts.

A finished mixed down track, perhaps. The 2 or 3 variations of each of the 64 individual tracks they're using to work on their first big hit, not so much. Not as much as HD video for sure, but nothing to sneeze at

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    gW1g51x.jpg

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It’s worth noting that the antibody tests saying that 3% of the population has the antibody could be getting thrown off by people having antibodies from other coronavirus

▪ False positive risks, particularly with tests for Immunoglobulin M (IgM) and potential cross-
    reactivity with common cold coronaviruses (e.g. HKU1, NL63, OC43, 229E).
    https://www.idsociety.org/globalass...-19/idsa-covid-19-antibody-testing-primer.pdf

these other coronavirus have a prevalence rate of between 3-20% in the population that went to the hospital for respiratory illness according to some other studies I’ve been reading.

one such study
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29214503/

i would appreciate someone smarter than me to explain how my line of thought that the antibody testing is flawed.Because it seems from my research that these other viruses are floating around and will make a lot of people test positive for antibodies when them haven’t had covid19.

Disclaimer: I’m not a scientist or doc. I just know how to research.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    People are gleefully staring down the barrel of a gun right now and refuse to acknowledge it.

Just a bit of wisdom for you folks. Those "temporary" measures you're all in favor of, won't be temporary. Be careful with what you're giving up, because you're not going to get it back.
    Somewhat ironic.

You realize that cuts both ways, right?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Oh please, please, please tell your medical staff that they shouldn't use masks when you get an operation. I'd love to read about that one.

And as indicated above, decontamination of personal masks is as easy as putting them on a rotation. The virus only lasts for a limited period of time outside of the body.

Please stop with the mask BS. I'm not getting surgery at Menards, what a simplistic statement. This study was done before mask use became politicized. The danger is real with the untrained less than knowledgeable masses and their pretend masks...

Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    yes. death rate 70X better than Hantavirus. so there's that

and I thought we weren't allowed to compare it to the flu

I remember Hantavirus being a big deal when we were in Wichita, Kansas in the mid-90s. It spread by mice. We had mice when the wheat fields down the road from where we lived were harvested. When we caught one in a trap my wife asked me what it looked like. I did my best "mouse killed in an old school Victor mouse trap baited with peanut butter" imitation. One of us thought it was funny.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Neurosurgeon Says Face Masks Pose Serious Risk to Healthy People

Dr. Russell Blaylock, a neurosurgeon, has written an editorial addressing healthy people wearing masks to protect themselves from COVID-19 and his advice is: don’t.

First, Blaylock says, there is no scientific evidence that it is effective against COVID-19 transmission. Pro-science people should care about this.

Take it for what it is worth, and value it for what you paid for the advice.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It’s worth noting that the antibody tests saying that 3% of the population has the antibody could be getting thrown off by people having antibodies from other coronavirus

▪ False positive risks, particularly with tests for Immunoglobulin M (IgM) and potential cross-
    https://www.idsociety.org/globalass...-19/idsa-covid-19-antibody-testing-primer.pdf

these other coronavirus have a prevalence rate of between 3-20% in the population that went to the hospital for respiratory illness according to some other studies I’ve been reading.

one such study

i would appreciate someone smarter than me to explain how my line of thought that the antibody testing is flawed.Because it seems from my research that these other viruses are floating around and will make a lot of people test positive for antibodies when them haven’t had covid19.

not to claim any "smartness" but I think the clarification here lies with "specificity"

If an antibody test is 99% specific, it's pretty dang close to perfect and will not pick up antibodies from other disease.

If a test is 95% specific it's not really great for the individual but is useful in a population that is heavily exposed. It means 5 out of 100 will be false positive. So if you have a disease where 50% of the population is exposed then a test with 95% specificity will potentially overreport by 5% and not a big deal. However, if the society only has 3% infected and it overreports by 5%, then it's a big error.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

How about we make a pitch for keeping some of them?

I like curbside liquor delivery. AIUI, this was illegal before. Let's point out it's great for consumer and businesses, and harms no one. Let the businesses do it, charge for it, whatever.

Telemedicine has also been greatly relaxed, as it should be. Previously I had to go into the doc's office to answer a few basic questions. This included taking time off work to drive in there, get there early, allow time for them running behind, not know when I would get back to work. Now I can schedule an online consult with minimal disruption. Let's keep that.

And yes, let's make sure any "emergency" measures stay limited to emergencies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

one such study

Yes, there were some terrible tests out there. Even some of the data being thrown around now is based on those very poor tests. The poor tests were out there because the regulations were relaxed a lot just to get any tests going. Some people took advantage of the relaxed regulations and sold garbage. About 160 different players made ripoff tests and sold them to anxious people. These were scams just to get money.
    However that has changed a lot. By this time there are some very good tests available from Roche, Abbott and Ortho that have 100% specificity. The FDA tightened up their regulations again several days ago.
    I imagine there are still some crappy tests to be found so it is now a buyer-beware situation. You will still find articles about the bad tests because that fits in with what they want to say.
    Data based on the bad tests is bad data. People need to forget those and only look at data from the accurate tests. Good luck with that happening. This makes it more important than ever to find honest data and honest evaluations of the situation.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Please stop with the mask BS. I'm not getting surgery at Menards, what a simplistic statement. This study was done before mask use became politicized. The danger is real with the untrained less than knowledgeable masses and their pretend masks...
    You managed to argue against things that weren't in my post at all. Congratulations? I addressed two points:
    • Tombs' hyperbolic statement that "Face masks don't prevent anything".
    • One trivially simple way to decontaminate masks- rotation and time.

If you don't want to use masks, don't. I didn't address the value of cloth vs N95 masks which is all that article is about, though the rotation trick applies to either type of mask.

I have no idea why you bothered to quote my post since you didn't bother to respond to my points at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom