Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There might not be a solitary U.S. patient zero. It most likely got here on a plane and there could easily be multiple people infected from that flight and they might have gone to different locations in this country.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Was in the Dyer Jewel-Osco the other day and noticed that over their debit/credit card keypads they had a plastic cover to prevent people from picking up germs from the keypad. I pointed out to the management that people could just as easily pick up the same, identical germs from the plastic cover that they still had to touch to use the keypad. Shoulder shrug in response. How much else is only "theater" to make some people somewhere somehow feel better?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Was in the Dyer Jewel-Osco the other day and noticed that over their debit/credit card keypads they had a plastic cover to prevent people from picking up germs from the keypad. I pointed out to the management that people could just as easily pick up the same, identical germs from the plastic cover that they still had to touch to use the keypad. Shoulder shrug in response. How much else is only "theater" to make some people somewhere somehow feel better?

You do not have to look hard or long to see a million opportunities to spread the virus in spite of our efforts. Did "we" really flatten the curve or did the virus die off from laughing at us humans?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

That is funny. Like wearing gloves and then sticking gloved fingers in your mouth.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Were they wiping it down between customers?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Why would a person wash one's hands before eating? after shaking hands? Are people washing hands more now than they did before?

The people I know are definitely washing hands more, so I have difficulty imagining taking such actions has no effect.

You do not have to look hard or long to see a million opportunities to spread the virus in spite of our efforts. Did "we" really flatten the curve or did the virus die off from laughing at us humans?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

The point was never to eliminate the spread of germs because that is practically impossible, but to reduce them. That is why I laugh at the ignorance of governors or other brain-dead bureaucrats who vow to maintain lockdowns until there is a cure.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Sure, but the plastic cover is easier to clean...and that's why it is there.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    OK so the phone call I just got was a lie...…..Umkay.

Carry on fellas.

Mouse is out.

Since we had lunch together (at my house) on December 3, 2019 ....... I'd sure like to hear more of the specifics of this phone call, big chief.
    If you don't feel like airing this in public, please send me a PM. Thanks ! :)

And in an attempt to add brevity to this thread (probably pointless), I'll share my favorite odd GIF. Somehow, I think that it has hidden relevance.

meat%20armor%20copy-L.jpg

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Since we had lunch together (at my house) on December 3, 2019 ....... I'd sure like to hear more of the specifics of this phone call, big chief.
    If you don't feel like airing this in public, please send me a PM. Thanks ! :)

Personally I woudl not feel he has an obligation to tell anyone anything. It's been 5 months and nothing negative has happened to either one of ya. It's none of anyone's business.

Just my thoughts.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Personally I woudl not feel he has an obligation to tell anyone anything. It's been 5 months and nothing negative has happened to either one of ya. It's none of anyone's business.

Just my thoughts.

You know what - that's not something I'd really considered. What are the ethical/moral parameters around that?

I mean, maybe others have the antibodies but don't think they've been exposed. Or might still be a vector to infect others.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just for fun:

Even the mainstreamers are now placing the original U.S. cases back in January...based upon a death due to COVID-19 on February 6th. However, that elderly person had not traveled internationally, so she had to contract it here. We have no idea from who and how many cases had made it here by the time she contracted in January.

...but even the January date is based upon educated speculation with a disease with symptoms that do not appear in maybe 40-50% and mimic the flu in large part. Some day, we may actually have an idea of when this came to the U.S., but that day is not today.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-was-here-earlier-than-most-americans-thought-now-what/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/us/coronavirus-early-outbreaks-cities.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...en-for-flu-health-official-says-idUSKCN2240Z6

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just for fun:

Even the mainstreamers are now placing the original U.S. cases back in January...based upon a death due to COVID-19 on February 6th. However, that elderly person had not traveled internationally, so she had to contract it here. We have no idea from who and how many cases had made it here by the time she contracted in January.

...but even the January date is based upon educated speculation with a disease with symptoms that do not appear in maybe 40-50% and mimic the flu in large part. Some day, we may actually have an idea of when this came to the U.S., but that day is not today.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-was-here-earlier-than-most-americans-thought-now-what/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/us/coronavirus-early-outbreaks-cities.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...en-for-flu-health-official-says-idUSKCN2240Z6

Hey now - I wouldn't call 57 "elderly"! (At least not since I turned 50!)

Other reports say she was fit and in good health, and died of a heart rupture. Ouch. She worked in tech and was in regular contact with people who went back and forth to China. Modelling of how the disease harmed her places her infection in January.

Personally, I use December based on the Washington tests of a young person who came from Wuhan shortly before he provided the sample for flu testing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Modelling of how the disease harmed her places her infection in January.

Personally, I use December based on the Washington tests of a young person who came from Wuhan shortly before he provided the sample for flu testing.

Sure, I'm just saying that we don't know and every bit of evidence obtained pushes it back further. Obviously, there will be a point that was the actual first...but it's not in February, which was the reported thought for a long time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OK so the phone call I just got was a lie...…..Umkay.

Carry on fellas.

Mouse is out.
    No. Of course I’m not saying it’s a lie. Your doctor has a reason why he believes what he does. It just comes down to this. You either had it or you didn’t. You either have the antibodies or you don’t. Were all using facts we think we know to predict whether you do or don’t.

The earlier you had it, the less likely that you would have been able to get it. If the girus didn’t even get out of China until Dec/Jan timeframe, it would be close to impossible. If it was October, there’s at least the possibility, but the odds would be really high against. And of course if the disease got out as early as September, even more possible.

ETA: The phone call you just got. Does that mean what you were referring to before when they said you might have the antibodies? Or is this new information and they said you do have it. If it’s the latter, awesome! Though I was doubtful I’m still pulling for you if for no other reason than to confirm the virus was here way earlier than we were initially told.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    You know what - that's not something I'd really considered. What are the ethical/moral parameters around that?

I mean, maybe others have the antibodies but don't think they've been exposed. Or might still be a vector to infect others.

I did not think of it either until today. My health is my business. Lunch with you 5 months ago does not remove any confidentiality. Personally if I was worried I would not post it on a forum. If we are close enough to have lunch in your house, call me. It is a respect thing for me.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sure, I'm just saying that we don't know and every bit of evidence obtained pushes it back further. Obviously, there will be a point that was the actual first...but it's not in February, which was the reported thought for a long time.

We don't know, but someday we'll have a clearer idea. Heck the modeling that I saw earlier today that suggest the biggest hotspots weren't hit by a singular Patient Zero, but had a succession of exposures from different places, was fascinating. Seriously, the technology we have these days to unwind the genome of this stuff is amazing.

And the December date has been floated since... late March, I think?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I did not think of it either until today. My health is my business. Lunch with you 5 months ago does not remove any confidentiality. Personally if I was worried I would not post it on a form. If we are close enough to have lunch in your house, call me. It is a respect thing for me.

Yeah, I get it.

But what is the difference between saying, "Screw all of you, I had it so I'm not wearing a mask." And, "Hey, we interacted last week and I need to tell you that I may have been infected at that point."

I'm reminded of the scene in Beverly Hills Cop, "Tell Victor to get himself checked...."

Gratuitous nominally related gif:
    giphy.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In re-reading the cryptic post, being wrong/misinformed/casual with language does not make what was said a lie.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom