SOUTH of Zombie city
    Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I watched it. In this case, he has both been misquoted and taken out of context. Here is a short clip, and not even this shows the whole context:

There is nothing wrong with being ignorant on a certain subject. Displaying that ignorance in front of the public is something most of us attempt to avoid. Trump doesn't seem to mind....or, in the alternative, does not realize he doesn't know. Again, something that could have been avoided by not falling in love with the camera and microphone.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There is nothing wrong with being ignorant on a certain subject. Displaying that ignorance in front of the public is something most of us attempt to avoid. Trump doesn't seem to mind....or, in the alternative, does not realize he doesn't know. Again, something that could have been avoided by not falling in love with the camera and microphone.

There is absolutely nothing Trump can do to avoid criticism. I suspect he realizes this and has moved on. Free rent in their heads.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When it comes to medical advice, President Trump is a layman with no more knowledge or understanding than anyone else.

I doubt he even knows the half-life of Technetium 99m or why it is acceptable to inject a patient with a radioactive substance which rapidly decays to a Beta particle emitter with a half-life of 210,000 years.

I wouldn't take his advice on lawn care, either. If you haven't figured that out, you're probably cutting your grass with scissors because it's hard to social distance at the gas station.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

You are being lied to, you know you are being lied to, and you still happily go along with it because OMB. SMH.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by HoughMade
    I watched it. In this case, he has both been misquoted and taken out of context. Here is a short clip, and not even this shows the whole context:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is absolutely nothing Trump can do to avoid criticism. I suspect he realizes this and has moved on. Free rent in their heads.

QFT
    EVERYTHING Trump does or doesn't do is totally wrong and absolutely racist and evil according to ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, and PBS.

A member of the mainstream media accidentally saying something good about Trump:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    There is a large difference between speculation on the part of the media and providing them with video fodder.

They are going to twist and use it against him any way they can. Allow HoughMade to repeat himself...

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by HoughMade

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Kung Flu doesn't care about the constitution, the stock market, jobs or any laws. All it wants to do is take over a host and live out it's life, have sex, and reproduce. I don't think that's too much to ask for. Isn't this what all living things want? As fellow life forms, we should respect this.

So please, come out of your caves, take off your masks, go to work, party, group up and spread the good news to everyone you meet that the Kung Flu just wants to live and be proud that you helped take part in that.

:rockwoot: Virus Lives Matter! :rockwoot:

Fixed if for you...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

[video=youtube;WFnDyOt8OU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnDyOt8OU0[/video]

And here is the problem, NOBODY THINKS!!! They are mostly told what to think by some form of media. I bet 90% of the crazed bantering on social media never listened first hand at all. They were told what to think...

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a simple solution for you to keep you safe. Stay home.
    I hope you have a job you can work from home though because the government checks are not going to be coming forever.
    I will be pissed if they continue this extra $600 a month BS for more than the first 2 months. Get people back to their jobs or get them out to find new ones. Open it all back up.
    Some Americans are lazy pieces of crap with no integrity. They know exactly what they are doing. It's called milking it.
    Starvation is not a pleasant way to die either. Neither is depression or suicide. This shutdown is a sham.

Staying home isn't a viable option forever, and I agree that the shutdown is a sham...to an extent. We cannot have the world working shoulder-to-shoulder with a poorly-understood disease raging through the population...BUT, that doesn't mean we can stop all economic activity and hope for things to get better. The best strategy we have *right now* is to slow the spread of the disease while we try to find more effective therapies and prophylactic habits.

Crops still have to be picked, packed, and shipped. This virus is a strong motivator to find ways to do these things (and all the other essential business of our civilization) without providing a breeding ground for sickness. I'm confident that we will figure this out, but it pulls me back to my biggest gripe: insufficient information.

We need to be testing everyone, and then doing it again a few weeks later. Lets figure this thing out, not stab in the dark.

You are 100% free to isolate yourself and your loved ones in any way you see fit. No one is suggesting that you do not have that right.

You aren't wrong, but you're wrong. You and I are socialized humans. Our trades cannot be performed in a vacuum. Lawyerin' to yourself is about as productive as fixing my own car all day...neither of us is going to eat if we count on that source of income, lol!

I don't like the lockdown, but I think it is ultimately necessary to act as a fire break of sorts. I'm not suggesting we should let this drag on any longer than necessary...I'm just not sure at all how long "necessary" needs to be. I'd like a whole lot more information before handing the keys to the kingdom over the Feds, though.

Testing. Appropriate Federal action would be ramping up testing, like lend-lease style...declare war on Corona ignorance so we are more appropriately armed and armored.

I know...a guy can dream.

Good morning, Paul

I think the fundamental fallacy being exhibited is: On the one hand thinking you might be able to avoid getting this without a rational endgame for the strategy (how long is enough 3 months, 6 months, 12 months) while on the other hand thinking that the economic infrastructure that supports your ability to shelter in place (food production and delivery, manufacturing of other necessities including disinfecting supplies, medical supplies etc) can survive however long you think is necessary to hunker down

On the path we are currently on that does not seem to be the main chance. The choices would seem to be to exit lockdown in a controlled manner or exit lockdown when food and medical care have become so scarce as to force the issue. As smoke has noted, normalcy bias tends to insidiously influence people into thinking things will eventually go 'back to normal'

Agree, agree, agree.

Economic activity does not stop. We are all economic agents, all of the time. I would like to think that we, culturally, can use this oppurtunity to find a better way to navigate large-scale cultural disruptions with a pragmatic and evidence-based approach.

This virus is a canary in th coalmine. There are *much* worse bugs out there. Some *will* get loose. When these things happen we really need an aresenal of effective strategies to cope. Now is the time to developing those strategies.

There’s death either way. It is both. It is about odds and it is about consequences. I wrote some time ago that both sides have a point. I think one of the reasons that most people agree with the lockdown is that it is not apparent to what extent the cure is worse than the disease. But with the disease the downside is more unknown. We have theoretical possibilities of harm done to society that we’ve based on anecdotes, models, and incomplete information. The possible downside there, the theoretical bottom, seems to most people as deep as shorting a stock. It makes sense to want to mitigate that as much as possible because of the potential depths.

If we look at just the odds, on a purely intellectual level, the odds argument makes sense too. For the vast majority of people the cure, so far, impacts our lives way more than the disease. Most people who get it are asymptomatic. But most people regardless are negatively impacted. Tens of thousands have died. Tens of millions have lost their livelihoods. And unknown thousands have died as a result of the lockdown.

So far. It’s the fear of the unknown that mostly fuels the lock it down side. It seems reasonable to most people that we must spend more effort fighting the devil we don’t know than the devil we do know or think we know.

There is a point somewhere in the graph of possible actions vs consequences, where we would find an equilibrium, that is, the best outcome for the most people, while assuring our future as free people. That point, I’m sure is not on either extreme. It’s somewhere between “**** this, open the ***damn thing up now” and the “shut it down until I’m not afraid anymore” side. People don’t seem as eager to find that point as they are to find reasons to support what they already believe.

Yeah, I agree.

It is reasonable to cancel large collective events. It is reasonable to maintain an element of social distance. It is reasonable to re-evaluate our work and hygene habits. It is unreasonable to expect humanity to hunker down forever.

There is a better way to conduct ourselves moving forward and we have the oppurtunity to explore it...but I really doubt we will. Too many people want the government to step in and enforce a solution, when the government is one of the biggest problems we currently have.

I am hopeful that business leaders small and large take this chance to really look at how their business operates and make the adjustments necessary to react when situations like these arise...

...I mean, after they spend [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] OUR bailout money.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So what [STRIKE]you are[/STRIKE] [I'm] saying is Trump [STRIKE]isn't mindful that a press conference is presented to the American people via TV and radio simultaneously live and[/STRIKE] is therefore responsible for any lives that are endangered. Yep, I can agree with that!

Fixy

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I listened and I still think he's a ****ing idiot.

There are seven decades worth of evidence, much of it on film, conclusively proving that Donald Trump is an idiot.

Probably just a TDS symptom...

What you're doing, right there, is beneath you, and it shows an element of childish desperation. Rather than formulate a cogent rebuttal you choose to deride and deflect. You're better than that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll display my ignorance about how the restaurant industry works here, but what happens when they all open up and start buying food again to serve to people? New food shortage on the shelves?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom