Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    "Disinfectant" had general definitions and more specific definitions. The one I used above, I didn't make up.

My point is simply this, the President referenced "disinfectant" and may not have used it 100% (or 65%) correctly. He likely had something like the U of L process, or something else that combats the virus in the body in mind, and he is, undoubtedly, being briefed on anything that appears reasonably promising. He's not a scientist and, as always, tends to try to use "lowest common denominator" language. He is not responsible for anyone who actually tries injecting Lysol, nor is he responsible for journalists who don't even care about what he meant.

On all those points, I agree with you. But it's even more basic than that. His comments were a) clearly directed at the doctors on the podium, and b) clearly in the context of things that they - the doctors - might consider investigating. The assertion that his comments can reasonably be interpreted as a directive, suggestion, or implication for any person to inject himself with isopropyl alcohol is utterly absurd.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    On all those points, I agree with you. But it's even more basic than that. His comments were a) clearly directed at the doctors on the podium, and b) clearly in the context of things that they - the doctors - might consider investigating. The assertion that his comments can reasonably be interpreted as a directive, suggestion, or implication for any person to inject himself with isopropyl alcohol is utterly absurd.

:yesway:

As an aside, it seems odd, but utterly predictable, that what one thinks of a given proposed treatment seems to have more to do with one's political stance than any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise.

And yes, I drafted that specifically to include both sides.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So you're saying only Trump supporters would think to inject themselves with alcohol?

(Don't worry, I'm going outside soon so the UV rays will disinfect my insides.)
    ;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So you're saying only Trump supporters would think to inject themselves with alcohol?

;)

I can't speak to that. It's well known around here that I abstain....from alcohol.

I will be leaving work early today and spraying weed killer, though, so I figure if it kills the chickweed.....

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Based on what you said here, the comments could be interpreted as a suggestion to inject oneself because you base your comments on visual cues which is not the only media one can hear them. Namely radio vs TV.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    There were actually several vaccines developed and progressed to trial stage. They did not progress further because of the lack of interest when the virus petered out.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/infectious/sars-vaccine.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3335060/

These specific vaccines are not useful for the current chinese virus but hopefully the work that went into them is knowledge in the bank that we can draw on now to help develop one.

Ok So like I thought, there is no vaccine for Sars-cov-1, and the articles I've seen on it, it never went past trials in ferrets and mice because it was causing organ damage, specifically damage to the liver.

Dont count on a vaccine for this one either. Even if one does become available it will likely take years, so coming up with effective treatments will be the key

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    :yesway:

As an aside, it seems odd, but utterly predictable, that what one thinks of a given proposed treatment seems to have more to do with one's political stance than any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise.

And yes, I drafted that specifically to include both sides.

Definitely true, based on my observations, as well.

I would add an epiphany of sorts that I had today - and one that implicates those on one side of the ideological spectrum. It appears to me that it is primarily the left (and NeverTrumpers - though that's a distinction without a difference) who both a) believe themselves to condescend intellectually to those of opposite ideology, and b) continually manage to exhibit apparently insipid thought processes with respect to anything that Trump says, that they then psychologically project on those to whom the condescend.

Said another way: the left apparently aren't capable of rational, critical thinking with respect to comments such as the ones in question. They actually think that Trump's comments were some sort of directive to inject isopropyl alcohol - a failure of critical thinking that they then psychologically project on the "Trumpkins" and "MAGAts" who they believe are their intellectual inferiors.

I don't know how else to explain it. I see far too many people whom I know to be very intelligent, friends who happen to be left-leaning, all of whom exhibit the same response to Trump's comments. (The same thing happened with the manufactured hydroxychloroquine brouhaha.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

;)

See my previous comment, but the irony is: it is almost exclusively on the left where one will find people who claim that anyone at all would think to inject themselves with isopropyl alcohol based on Trump's comments.

Where on the right is anyone espousing such a view?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Based on what you said here, the comments could be interpreted as a suggestion to inject oneself because you base your comments on visual cues which is not the only media one can hear them. Namely radio vs TV.

You might have lost me here. Are you saying that Trump's comments could be interpreted a certain way because of how they are presented/consumed? That what was originally presented in the context of a televised press briefing could lead to different interpretations based on his comments being presented as incomplete/out of context, or as audio only with no video?

So, what you're saying is that the media are responsible for any lives that are endangered because of how Trump's comments might be misinterpreted due to how they are presented by the media. Yep; I agree with that.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The Kung Flu doesn't care about the constitution, the stock market, jobs or any laws. All it wants to do is take over a host and live out it's life. I don't think that's too much to ask for. Isn't this what all living things want? As fellow life forms, we should respect this.

So please, come out of your caves, take off your masks, go to work, party, group up and spread the good news to everyone you meet that the Kung Flu just wants to live and be proud that you helped take part in that.

:rockwoot: Virus Lives Matter! :rockwoot:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

;)
    We all know that rectally is the best way to get alcohol into the body.

I can't speak to that. It's well known around here that I abstain....from alcohol.

I will be leaving work early today and spraying weed killer, though, so I figure if it kills the chickweed.....

Baptists Delighted They Can Now Wear Masks At Liquor Store

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So what you are saying is Trump isn't mindful that a press conference is presented to the American people via TV and radio simultaneously live and is therefore responsible for any lives that are endangered. Yep, I can agree with that!

You might have lost me here. Are you saying that Trump's comments could be interpreted a certain way because of how they are presented/consumed? That what was originally presented in the context of a televised press briefing could lead to different interpretations based on his comments being presented as incomplete/out of context, or as audio only with no video?

So, what you're saying is that the media are responsible for any lives that are endangered because of how Trump's comments might be misinterpreted due to how they are presented by the media. Yep; I agree with that.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Ok So like I thought, there is no vaccine for Sars-cov-1, and the articles I've seen on it, it never went past trials in ferrets and mice because it was causing organ damage, specifically damage to the liver.

Dont count on a vaccine for this one either. Even if one does become available it will likely take years, so coming up with effective treatments will be the key

You said a vaccine did not exist. I read where it does. You can deny it if you wish, no concern of mine. I only appreciate the work done as being a good thing and hopefully will increase man's total knowledge toward developing a vaccine or treatment for what matters - the current chinese virus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2612543/

[h=1]A SARS DNA vaccine induces neutralizing antibody and cellular immune responses in healthy adults in a Phase I clinical trial[/h]
    [h=3]Results[/h]The vaccine was well tolerated. SARS-CoV-specific antibody was detected by ELISA in 8 of 10 subjects and neutralizing antibody was detected in all subjects who received 3 doses of vaccine. SARS-CoV-specific CD4+ T-cell responses were detected in all vaccinees, and CD8+ T-cell responses in ∼20% of individuals.

[h=3]Conclusions[/h]The VRC SARS DNA vaccine was well tolerated and produced cellular immune responses and neutralizing antibody in healthy adults.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So what you are saying is Trump isn't mindful that a press conference is presented to the American people via TV and radio simultaneously live and is therefore responsible for any lives that are endangered. Yep, I can agree with that!

Anyone listening to the press conference via radio would know that Trump was addressing the doctors who were with him. The context of the comments in question isn't, at all, difficult.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anyone listening to the press conference via radio would know that Trump was addressing the doctors who were with him. The context of the comments in question isn't, at all, difficult.

I watched it. In this case, he has both been misquoted and taken out of context. Here is a short clip, and not even this shows the whole context:

[video=youtube;WFnDyOt8OU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnDyOt8OU0[/video]

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    fair enough then. I usually listen not watch.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wow, long week. Got to see the IMPD and IFD lights and sirens show of respect to Ezkenazi workers yesterday, most impressive.

I continue to see a lot of things I don't see in my usual job. Home projects lead to broken fingers, saw 3 last Sunday.

Went with an RN to get a patient who couldn't make it to the door. Heart attacks are scary. I wheeled an OEF Vet back to his vehicle so he could secure some valuables. He'd came in for an injury, he went to the respiratory ER about 10 minutes later. His truck was gone the next day, glad to see he didn't have to stay with us.

I've done screening for 4 weeks, back in the office next week for a project (cost-benefit analysis, more in my wheelhouse than asking people about symptoms and moving patients in wheelchairs) then back to being farmed-out.

Not sure who "they" are, but "they" are gonna want my plasma when this is done.
    Well I appreciate the fine job you do! Risking your ass for others.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom