• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Staying home isn't a viable option forever, and I agree that the shutdown is a sham...to an extent. We cannot have the world working shoulder-to-shoulder with a poorly-understood disease raging through the population...BUT, that doesn't mean we can stop all economic activity and hope for things to get better. The best strategy we have *right now* is to slow the spread of the disease while we try to find more effective therapies and prophylactic habits.

Crops still have to be picked, packed, and shipped. This virus is a strong motivator to find ways to do these things (and all the other essential business of our civilization) without providing a breeding ground for sickness. I'm confident that we will figure this out, but it pulls me back to my biggest gripe: insufficient information.

We need to be testing everyone, and then doing it again a few weeks later. Lets figure this thing out, not stab in the dark.

You aren't wrong, but you're wrong. You and I are socialized humans. Our trades cannot be performed in a vacuum. Lawyerin' to yourself is about as productive as fixing my own car all day...neither of us is going to eat if we count on that source of income, lol!

I don't like the lockdown, but I think it is ultimately necessary to act as a fire break of sorts. I'm not suggesting we should let this drag on any longer than necessary...I'm just not sure at all how long "necessary" needs to be. I'd like a whole lot more information before handing the keys to the kingdom over the Feds, though.

Testing. Appropriate Federal action would be ramping up testing, like lend-lease style...declare war on Corona ignorance so we are more appropriately armed and armored.

I know...a guy can dream.

Agree, agree, agree.

Economic activity does not stop. We are all economic agents, all of the time. I would like to think that we, culturally, can use this oppurtunity to find a better way to navigate large-scale cultural disruptions with a pragmatic and evidence-based approach.

This virus is a canary in th coalmine. There are *much* worse bugs out there. Some *will* get loose. When these things happen we really need an aresenal of effective strategies to cope. Now is the time to developing those strategies.

Yeah, I agree.

It is reasonable to cancel large collective events. It is reasonable to maintain an element of social distance. It is reasonable to re-evaluate our work and hygene habits. It is unreasonable to expect humanity to hunker down forever.

There is a better way to conduct ourselves moving forward and we have the oppurtunity to explore it...but I really doubt we will. Too many people want the government to step in and enforce a solution, when the government is one of the biggest problems we currently have.

I am hopeful that business leaders small and large take this chance to really look at how their business operates and make the adjustments necessary to react when situations like these arise...

...I mean, after they spend [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] OUR bailout money.

The most reasonable thing would be for the truth to be shared with the people and let them decide individually, you know, kinda like capitalism. Just like betting markets are better at predicting than polls. No one or no small group should be making these decisions...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Trump ain't special....there is absolutely nothin anyone can do to avoid criticism. Sticking to facts and avoiding speculation when, by his own admittance, his press conference ratings are the best of anything on at the time and he's talking to people from all walks of life and all levels of intelligence would simply be doing a better job at the job he was hired to do.

There is absolutely nothing Trump can do to avoid criticism. I suspect he realizes this and has moved on. Free rent in their heads.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'll display my ignorance about how the restaurant industry works here, but what happens when they all open up and start buying food again to serve to people? New food shortage on the shelves?

There are two, entirely separate supply chains for retail (restaurant) food supply and home (grocery store) food supply. There's never been an actual food shortage (which is good). What happened was that supply chains that are designed to accommodate the near 50-50 split in home-cooked meals vs restaurant meals were not able to adjust rapidly enough to accommodate what became more like 75-25 split when people stopped being able to buy from restaurants and were forced to cook more meals at home.

The upside to that is that the restaurant-based supply chain *ought* to be able to ramp back up reasonably quickly to supply restaurant demand once it returns.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'll display my ignorance about how the restaurant industry works here, but what happens when they all open up and start buying food again to serve to people? New food shortage on the shelves?

Should not be, just like there should be an abundance of commercial TP, different supply chain...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So basically, in a nut shell, boiled down....what I have learned from Trump supporters on INGO.

Trumps advice sucks sometimes, but the actions he takes are mostly impeccable.

When it comes to medical advice, President Trump is a layman with no more knowledge or understanding than anyone else.

I doubt he even knows the half-life of Technetium 99m or why it is acceptable to inject a patient with a radioactive substance which rapidly decays to a Beta particle emitter with a half-life of 210,000 years.

I wouldn't take his advice on lawn care, either. If you haven't figured that out, you're probably cutting your grass with scissors because it's hard to social distance at the gas station.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think I am getting it. I can't trust the media. I should ignore all Trump speculation, well on lysol but not on hydrochloroquinine. Trump in action; however, is impervious to sincere criticism.

Lesson learned. Qualify all my speculation or questions with a blanket statement that I ask questions because I don't know everything. Oh wait I did that here and it didn't work. Must just be a Trump cult thing.

There is a large difference between speculation on the part of the media and providing them with video fodder.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    [snip]
    This virus is a canary in th coalmine. There are *much* worse bugs out there. Some *will* get loose. When these things happen we really need an aresenal of effective strategies to cope. Now is the time to developing those strategies.

I am thankful that we get to learn these lessons from WuVid 19 and not Ebola or Hanta or Marburg

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The most reasonable thing would be for the truth to be shared with the people and let them decide individually, you know, kinda like capitalism. Just like betting markets are better at predicting than polls. No one or no small group should be making these decisions...

I don't disagree.

We don't know what the truth is, and there is no reliable way to distribute a truthful statement in the for-profit media. Spin always wins.

Free markets sound great. I'd like to try them sometime.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Virus is alive?

Well that settles that ongoing biological question.

Here that from the President? If so I won't question it, gotta be right. Or did he look over his shoulder questioningly at someone? I didn't actually see or hear the conference today. Are they still daily?

Fixed if for you...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I think they deal with more wholesale types of entities like GFS or Restaurant Supply, or if franchises are supplied by the parent corporation which likely deals in even larger quantities. As long as those companies have not moved toward switching to retail outlets then it should be different supply chains. Might be some cross-competition if meat processing keeps going down due to coronavirus, though

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I do see Sysco and US Foods and others that supply mainly restaurants.

How about at the other end of the supply chain though? Are restaurants supplied by different meat packing plants for example?

There are two, entirely separate supply chains for retail (restaurant) food supply and home (grocery store) food supply. There's never been an actual food shortage (which is good). What happened was that supply chains that are designed to accommodate the near 50-50 split in home-cooked meals vs restaurant meals were not able to adjust rapidly enough to accommodate what became more like 75-25 split when people stopped being able to buy from restaurants and were forced to cook more meals at home.

The upside to that is that the restaurant-based supply chain *ought* to be able to ramp back up reasonably quickly to supply restaurant demand once it returns.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Probably just a TDS symptom...

I don't think this is particularly helpful. I wouldn't consider Snapdragon to be a sufferer of TDS, nor do I think she lacks critical thinking skills or perspective.

Or he's actually a ****ing idiot.

Trump is not dumb. He is constantly being underestimated by his opponents (for lack of a better word) and he does manage to prove them wrong or come out on top more often than not. He does have a ridiculously basic vocabulary and is pretty clearly a narcissist, but he's no idiot.

go cool off, TDS overheats the body...

Again, I love you Mike, but not at all helpful to advance the conversation, and frankly, pretty rude.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    And who'd want to hoard Commercial TP? I certainly wouldn't that would chafe my ass more than reading left and right wing extremists.

Should not be, just like there should be an abundance of commercial TP, different supply chain...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't disagree.

We don't know what the truth is, and there is no reliable way to distribute a truthful statement in the for-profit media. Spin always wins.

Free markets sound great. I'd like to try them sometime.

I do not have an issue with for profit media, my issue is when the conglomerates that own the major media are salivating over Chinese profits and doing everything they can to get that, as they have constitutional protection in the US and need the good buddy system to get by in China...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom