• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Gotcha. Yeah, there should be some serious re-appraisal of priorities during this time out.

I'm still in a state of denial that my life will be different.

You and me both. Even with kids, little has changed at our house. The 2 high schoolers have been doing online charter school from the beginning of the year. The college girl was told not to go back to campus after spring break, and she is online, but she used to do the online charter school too, so it's nothing new. I still go to the office, but 90% of our people are working from home (making it about as safe as anything to be in the office).

Other than my wife's hair getting to pre-kid lengths (don't say there is no good in this whole mess), other than staying home even more than usual.....not huge changes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not with you.

I'll just say this- I know plenty of people, most of which are of very modest means, who well before this mess, prioritized being home with their children. Seems like a good opportunity to reevaluate...but that's really a discussion for another time and context.

It almost sounds like advocacy for a re-evaluation that means NOT being home with the kids. ;)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That one is not a fact. There is a vaccine for SARS-CoV-1. I predict there will be one for SARS-CoV-2 as well.

I believe you are wrong. They tested a vaccine for Sars but it was not effective and was basically abandoned.
    If you could cite something about there being a vaccine for SARS-cov-1 that would be great. I did a limited search and come up empty

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not billing for my posts, so I have to rely on context to explain my meaning, not endless revisions.

Ok, but my reading of your post was pretty funny. :)

And, actually, for some families I know, they probably are better off the "old" way.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A can of tomato soup with a bunch of other ingredients makes quick, reasonably tasty chili. I’m pushing 60 and my BP usually hovers around low 120s over low 80s. I’m fine for now. I’m trying to bike more. Maybe lose some weight. But mostly keep the lung capacity up and the circulation going in case I get this ****. Or hell. That “mystery disease” that they talked about hit our house in late December. A day or two of fever and fatigue, several days of intense coughing. Maybe I’ve already had it. Maybe I have immunity. Maybe I can say **** y’all losers who live in fear. I’m INVINCIBLE!!! I dare go to the car wash unprotected!

if you wish to infer some purple text in that, feel free.

So, WuVid 19 in some way prevents you from washing your own car? :dunno: :)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've always just drank my IPA's. Is injecting them a thing? ;)

Wouldn't that take all the fun out of it?

I'm not much of a beer fan; regardless, I don't think adding cascade hops to isopropyl alcohol would do much for the taste.

(Note to NeverTrumpers: the above comment is not a directive, suggestion, or implication to ingest isopropyl alcohol. It might not even be a directive, suggestion, or implication to ingest other types of IPAs, either.)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well, don't you just move from your rocking chair on the porch to the recliner in front of the TV then to the computer desk then rinse and repeat?

Gotcha. Yeah, there should be some serious re-appraisal of priorities during this time out.

I'm still in a state of denial that my life will be different.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    With your caveats its hard to disagree with you. The problem is they doesn't always seem to apply.

My issues with Trump has always been his communication skills.

I love the fact he will take on opponents directly without a lot of political doublespeak. I enjoy the tweets (most days).

I hate the fact that his use of the bully pulpit is so hit and miss. Not every thought needs to pass over the lips. Especially in crisis management.

I wish he would treat them more like a CEO on an earnings call.

The caveats are important, and relevant, though.

As for the press conference in question: I don't really have a problem with Trump spit-balling with doctors about what might be possible or what they might look into. I'm intelligent enough to differentiate such comments from a personal recommendation to take some particular action. (Whether NeverTrumpers have similar intelligence apparently remains to be seen.) That said, I think a far more appropriate forum for that sort of spit-balling would be a forum - roundtable discussion, panel discussion, etc. Not a press conference.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Wow, long week. Got to see the IMPD and IFD lights and sirens show of respect to Ezkenazi workers yesterday, most impressive.

I continue to see a lot of things I don't see in my usual job. Home projects lead to broken fingers, saw 3 last Sunday.

Went with an RN to get a patient who couldn't make it to the door. Heart attacks are scary. I wheeled an OEF Vet back to his vehicle so he could secure some valuables. He'd came in for an injury, he went to the respiratory ER about 10 minutes later. His truck was gone the next day, glad to see he didn't have to stay with us.

I've done screening for 4 weeks, back in the office next week for a project (cost-benefit analysis, more in my wheelhouse than asking people about symptoms and moving patients in wheelchairs) then back to being farmed-out.

Not sure who "they" are, but "they" are gonna want my plasma when this is done.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Fair 'nuff.

Any thoughts as to what factor of increase there would be with just a little relaxation of SIP? Like, 1 more new infection for every current infection? That's a pretty conservative number.

Although I am not conversant with the particulars of Sweden's numbers, I believe they are much looser already than anything we are talking about in phase 1, and their statistics are no worse than ours. If that is correct, the argument can be made that we could conceivably open up with little or no worsening of our numbers and we won't know unless and until we try

One concern is, if you open up can you put that genie back in the bottle if you decide you need to (and will closed-open-closed be worse for business than stay closed)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I believe you are wrong. They tested a vaccine for Sars but it was not effective and was basically abandoned.
    If you could cite something about there being a vaccine for SARS-cov-1 that would be great. I did a limited search and come up empty

There were actually several vaccines developed and progressed to trial stage. They did not progress further because of the lack of interest when the virus petered out.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/infectious/sars-vaccine.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3335060/

Vaccine candidates for preventing SARS have been developed by various groups and include inactivated whole virus, spike (S) protein preparations, virus-like particles (VLPs), plasmid DNA and a number of vectors containing genes for SARS-CoV proteins [13][28]. Phase I studies in humans have been conducted with a whole virus vaccine and a DNA vaccine [29][30].

These specific vaccines are not useful for the current chinese virus but hopefully the work that went into them is knowledge in the bank that we can draw on now to help develop one.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It may, y'know...keep the virus, once in the body, from infecting cells and thereby combat the infection...but whatever you do, don't describe it as a disinfectant (defined as "an agent that frees from infection"), because both the willfully ignorant and the just plain ignorant....

https://www.wlky.com/article/uofl-b...83KMdJXkCqj-yw__XyvZXzOKqxlrCr3JOlLwMdF9RztGE

Not to get too pedantic (but then, who are we kidding), in this context, a disinfectant by definition is an agent that acts on an inanimate surface to destroy microorganisms (specifically, bacteria - and generally not spores, at least, with most disinfectants).

Based on my skimming of that article, the therapy being described is a gene therapy/Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product (ATMP) that they will probably try to get fast tracked under FDA's emerging technologies track.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not to get too pedantic (but then, who are we kidding), in this context, a disinfectant by definition is an agent that acts on an inanimate surface to destroy microorganisms (specifically, bacteria - and generally not spores, at least, with most disinfectants).

Based on my skimming of that article, the therapy being described is a gene therapy/Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product (ATMP) that they will probably try to get fast tracked under FDA's emerging technologies track.

"Disinfectant" had general definitions and more specific definitions. The one I used above, I didn't make up.

My point is simply this, the President referenced "disinfectant" and may not have used it 100% (or 65%) correctly. He likely had something like the U of L process, or something else that combats the virus in the body in mind, and he is, undoubtedly, being briefed on anything that appears reasonably promising. He's not a scientist and, as always, tends to try to use "lowest common denominator" language. He is not responsible for anyone who actually tries injecting Lysol, nor is he responsible for journalists who don't even care about what he meant.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Did you take your blood pressure meds yet? Yes? Good.

It's $600 a WEEK, not a month. Plus regular unemployment. I have a relative who got laid off and is getting a significant bump in weekly pay to stay home and watch Netflix.
    Lol. Taking a break helped it.
    Yep a week thank you. That's what I meant to say i guess. Its insane.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom