• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Last year on my home planet I could go inside a grocery store and get what I wanted and I could go to hockey games - all without wearing masks and gloves and risking my life to do it...

I hate to break this to ya, but last year, same as today, you're risking your life every morning when you get of bed.

It would take someone with a better grip on actuarial science than me to calculate it, but I'd guess your risk of death today is up by a very small amount from a year ago today.

Barring any major medical issues you may have experienced in the preceding year and assuming you're under 90 years old, of course.;)

For those not in a high risk group, the amount of additional risk of death that this Chinese virus added to our situation could probably be offset easily by a brisk daily walk and laying off the red meat.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For those not in a high risk group, the amount of additional risk of death that this Chinese virus added to our situation could probably be offset easily by a brisk daily walk and laying off the red meat.

This is incorrect, factually. This virus is novel to us here. That is, we have no immunity. That's different from everything we might've been exposed to a year ago - to various personal differences, we had been exposed to those before. Our collective medical community had effective ways to treat them, although it was not always successful.

It appears to me that there are 2 axes for USians to approach this risk right now. The one we can control is to minimize potential exposure by SIP and social distancing. The one we can't really control is how/whether we are naturally on the end of the spectrum that has no symptoms or just mild symptoms.p

A meaningful number of otherwise healthy people have gotten sick and died from this.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I hate to break this to ya, but last year, same as today, you're risking your life every morning when you get of bed.

It would take someone with a better grip on actuarial science than me to calculate it, but I'd guess your risk of death today is up by a very small amount from a year ago today.

Barring any major medical issues you may have experienced in the preceding year and assuming you're under 90 years old, of course.;)

Sorry, but I am over 70 and the risk to me is obviously more than it is to you.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Are you simply saying that because you like the results, or have you found something in the studies? :dunno:

What results, lol, he gave a broad statement implying yet another end of the world scenario with this virus as usual. The implication is that you may not build up immunity after a covid infection which isn't true.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    What results, lol, he gave a broad statement implying yet another end of the world scenario with this virus as usual. The implication is that you may not build up immunity after a covid infection which isn't true.

Shouldn't we wait until this is known before making declarative statements about it?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Your new link shows 36.6% of all GDP is government spending.

I agree this isn't good, but your chart of percent change doesn't support your claim that government contributes more to GDP than the private sector. (And that may not what you were trying to say, but I think that is a fair reading of what you posted.)

Include the semi governmental Federal reserve,state spending,and municipal spending. It is over 50% in government spending well before we were spending trillions on covid19 bailouts and shut everything down.

State and municipal governments 5.7 trillion. https://www.bea.gov/data/government/receipts-and-expenditures

Federal reserve 5.2 trillion.https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/2018-ar-federal-system-budgets.htm

US total gdp was 21.73 trillion.

We had problems way before 2020.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think the major disappointment I have with this whole process is the abysmal data gathering and analysis capabilities of the Federal government.

Why isn't the CDC at least 1/2 as effective as what they show in the movies?

Really disappointing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Almost everyone eventually getting the virus is far from an "end of the world" scenario. He mentioned anecdotal evidence of reinfections. However, in the post referenced, he did not say that there is no "immunity".

In any event, the VAST majority of people who have recovered have no been reinfected.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It is not fear mongering. It is a legitimate question. One the CDC is looking at. It is less a question of if it happens,but why it happens now.

They are looking at rather or not you can recover from this and have developed no antibodies. Of course poor test performance is also being looked at as plausible.

It happens. Recovered people test positive again in the hundreds weeks after they recovered. So saying it is fear mongering shows ignorance.

Me I want to know why it is happening,not deny that it is.

It is just more of your fear mongering and i'm definitely anything but ignorant lol. Did you even research this before posting? The evidence is unclear at this point and the scientific community is not really that worried about this. There have been some 'recurrences' but like Houghmade said many are skeptical and point to things like the testing kits, there may have just been some inactive viral artifact present, they actually weren't recovered (do we even know yet what recovered is?), etc. One of the latest studies that looked at this (a case study) pointed out it may have been just a false negative and the tests may be sensitive to the quantity of viral load.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7129213/

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-reactivated-more-than-100-south-koreans-who-recovered

https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-to-investigate-coronavirus-reactivation-south-korean-patients

“We still don’t fully understand the immune response and if recovery and immunity development offer any level of protection against reinfection and disease severity.”
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-crisis-what-are-the-potential-long-term-health-impacts

the New York Blood Center noted that when researchers instituted contact between coronavirus and lab-grown T lymphocytes – referred to as T cells – the virus paralyzed these critical cells, which help identify and expel pathogens in the body.

Disturbingly, the study also indicated that damage to the T lymphocytes paralleled that caused by HIV

What news source would you prefer? It is posted everywhere. How is some becoming reinfected an end of the world scenario?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It is just more of your fear mongering and i'm definitely anything but ignorant lol. Did you even research this before posting? The evidence is unclear at this point and the scientific community is not really that worried about this. There have been some 'recurrences' but like Houghmade said many are skeptical and point to things like the testing kits, there may have just been some inactive viral artifact present, they actually weren't recovered (do we even know yet what recovered is?), etc. One of the latest studies that looked at this (a case study) pointed out it may have been just a false negative and the tests may be sensitive to the quantity of viral load.

[FONT=&quot]The immune response, including duration of immunity, to SARS-CoV-2 infection is not yet understood. Patients with MERS-CoV are unlikely to be re-infected shortly after they recover, but it is not yet known whether similar immune protection will be observed for patients with COVID-19.
    [/FONT]https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html

Your report may be a bit dated,based on nothing but information from China. Published online 2020 Mar 5

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Call me alarmist if you want, but in a situation that has asymptomatic spreading of a deadly virus, an abundance of false-negative test kits are a MUCH bigger problem than reinfection.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-reactivated-more-than-100-south-koreans-who-recovered

https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-to-investigate-coronavirus-reactivation-south-korean-patients

“We still don’t fully understand the immune response and if recovery and immunity development offer any level of protection against reinfection and disease severity.”
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-crisis-what-are-the-potential-long-term-health-impacts

the New York Blood Center noted that when researchers instituted contact between coronavirus and lab-grown T lymphocytes – referred to as T cells – the virus paralyzed these critical cells, which help identify and expel pathogens in the body.

Disturbingly, the study also indicated that damage to the T lymphocytes paralleled that caused by HIV

What news source would you prefer? It is posted everywhere. How is some becoming reinfected an end of the world scenario?

Those links you posted don't support the notion that 're-infection' actually happened so i'm not sure why you posted them?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Interesting.... :rolleyes:

So there are no side effects from getting Kung Flu?
    It's absolutely safe to contract this common "bug" and then go about you're life. In fact getting this tiny virus and surviving will NOT take any time off your life whatsoever.

Next I will hear how it's recommended that you catch this virus the first time around so you can just continue on without any problems when it comes around again. Because, lets face it, we are all going to get it anyway so you might as well get it over with.

All those stupid ignorant people across the globe panicking for nothing and creating unnecessary chaos and havoc just to get attention for themselves. "Look at me. Do what I say"
    Boy did everyone fall for this fake hoax deliberately fabricated to line the pockets of some real tricksters.

When did Cracker Jacks start giving out medical advice in their prizes?

Did I miss any?

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Staying at home buys time for science and hope. That is all it does. I disagree about the risk being the same as last year.

I do not think most understand it is not just us. You can say restart the economy all you want,but to do that we need things we outsourced to be made and brought here(for manufacturing of most anything).
    We screwed ourselves exporting so much. Heck the pentagon is putting pressure on Mexico to keep manufacturing DOD essentials at the moment(yes we outsourced many DOD contracts to Mexico).
    https://www.defenseone.com/business...sed-factories-supply-us-weapon-makers/164756/

So it is not as simple as saying restart our economy.

And staying home kills people too...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom