• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I get the sense that there’s still a majority that still believe continuing the lock down until that time is the best course to follow.

(I’m still betting that roughly correlates to those still employed or drawing a check every month.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...yed-and-one-gets-paychecks-column/5167453002/
    Protests show 'two Americas' — those who lost their jobs and those still getting paid

There really are two Americas here: Those still getting a paycheck from government, corporations or universities, and those who are unemployed, or seeing their small businesses suffer due to shutdowns. And the America still getting paid is, so far, not showing a whole lot of sympathy for the America that isn’t.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Can I have a citation? I did not see that in the original post about him unless I missed something...

...but so what? People say dumb stuff all the time. How did he get it?

I am unsure of how he got it(fairly certain no one knows that). I was not saying he deserved it. Just pointing out what I read in an article that had many of his facebook quotes.

I do not think anyone deserves this disease.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Can I have a citation? I did not see that in the original post about him unless I missed something...

...but so what? People say dumb stuff all the time. How did he get it?

Just like cracker love cheese, people love schadenfreude and irony.

And I mean real irony, not that Alanis Morisette BS - that ****s not ironic, it's merely a list of bad coincidences. :xmad:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am unsure of how he got it(fairly certain no one knows that). I was not saying he deserved it. Just pointing out what I read in an article that had many of his facebook quotes.

I do not think anyone deserves this disease.

I get it.

Leaving this guy out of it, I know a lot of people who question the current policy behind lock-down for a variety of reasons (myself included), but who continue to follow all of the "rules" and recommendations.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I get it.

Leaving this guy out of it, I know a lot of people who question the current policy behind lock-down for a variety of reasons (myself included), but who continue to follow all of the "rules" and recommendations.

Pfft. You and your respect for the rule of law. Next you'll be saying that God instructed you to do that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

There's plenty of working folks, like me, that know this is really, really starting to cut too deep.

And there's plenty of unworking people who are afraid to go back.

My mom posted a FB comment criticizing the protest, and my MIL got mad at it - both are retired; this cuts across many, many groups.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I get it, but flattening the curve beyond that which is necessary to allow medical resources to be available prolongs the pandemic...which has a cost in lives as well. Beyond that, acting like we never had issues with spending huge amounts of resources on people who were within 6 weeks of end-of-life before this.....c'mon.

Having a "one size fits all" remedy of shut-down across the country, or even across a state is...short sighted, to say the least.

...and I am sure you are right.

Agreed.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I get it.

For me the stay at home order is simply something done to give hope and prevent a societal collapse. Hope in the form of time. Hope they can find an effective therapy or vaccine that will save us from this. It may be sold as flattening the curve but really what that term means is having longer to put bodies in the ground(less an effective therapy or vaccine).

At this point it is unlikely that you will not get this. Staying home does not prevent you from getting it, it lowers your odds and buys hope. It also buys a bit of time to figure out things like can you catch this more than once.Which is likely at this point given studies in South Korea,Germany,Japan,all have had such cases.

How fatal is it? What long term health effects are we going to see?

I think the government knows more than we are being told. Classified briefing followed by congress members selling all their stock(illegally) and then all of congress going on an unscheduled vacation out of "an abundance of caution". Not buying that.

If we had the same information would people push to go back to work or ask to stay home?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So, how many think that 9 MM is the best defensive caliber and we should open the country, and how many favor the 45 ACP and think we should stay locked down?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I want to discuss this in more depth.

Now let us imagine that the reverse were true. Imagine that Georgia and North Carolina—two contiguous states that, like the New York metro area, have a combined total of 21 million people—had 18,690 COVID-19 deaths, while metro New York had 858 deaths (the number of deaths in North Carolina and Georgia combined).

Do you think the New York metro area would close its schools, stores, restaurants and small businesses? Would every citizen of the New York area, with the few exceptions of those engaged in absolutely necessary work, be locked in their homes for months? Would New Yorkers accept the decimation of their economic and social lives because North Carolina and Georgia (or, even more absurdly, Colorado, Montana or the rest of what most New Yorkers regard as “flyover” country) had 18,960 deaths, while they had a mere 858?

I have no doubt they would not shut down. Do you?

Even more telling, the media, which controls American public opinion more than any other institution... would not be as fixated on closing down the country if it were killing far more people in some Southern, Midwestern, Mountain or Western states than in New York City.

The media is New York-based and New York-centered. New York is America. The rest of the country, with the partial exception of Los Angeles (also a media center) and Silicon Valley, is an afterthought.

And this is why we have such fear driven coverage, it affects the media more than the country.

I have tried to promote rational logical thinking on this, not emotional thinking. We are now past that and have wrecked the economy in a ditch and have to fix it. Unnecessary in my opinion...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So, how many think that 9 MM is the best defensive caliber and we should open the country, and how many favor the 45 ACP and think we should stay locked down?

We can all agree 10mm is superior(the FBI used it at one point,so it has to be true) and that none of us have enough information to make an educated choice(as the FBI proved).

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'm ready to return to normal.

And keep your frigging distance!

giphy.gif

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I’m still working full time and at home. I’m very vocal about this being a bunch of horse ****. I’m sick of this lock down.
    I have been arguing about this with my parents. Both over 60. Dad is in very poor health for his age and mom is is getting there. Both spent years smoking and have lung problems. Dad is a logger and still making money. Mom has a day care and is being paid by the state to stay closed. Both say us youngsters are trying to kill them by Going to work. My thing is I refuse to accept that my wife and kids should be punished and lose our way of life as well as civil liberties because they smoked 3 packs a day for 40+ years. They think I should be laid off but they should be able to run around and not be hindered by the young people. This whole thing will cause problems between families all over.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom