Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, things like wiping down stuff with disinfecting wipes and the plexiglass shields at checkouts will certainly help. Heck, just having a generation of people who wash their hands really well will help.

A shutdown like this obviously isn't a good idea, but as someone in a couple risk groups, it seems like these other precautions will help people stay healthy year-round.

Oh - what about murder rates? I know Indy has had some violence in the last couple weeks, but I have a sneaking suspicion that murder rates will be down overall for the first half of 2020. Might pick back up after things open up, but I'd be interested in those numbers.

ETA:
    Oops. Made the mistake of googling after I posted. Indy is actually ahead of last year for homicides. Well there goes that idea.

Domestic violence/abuse/child abuse has been reported to be up since the stay at home orders went into effect as well. The child abuse is particularly troubling. The report I saw was that with kids being out of school, teachers and guidance counselors aren't seeing the signs like they used to, so it has been allowed to escalate perhaps moreso than it would have.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    As I read about the uptick in washing hand, and I know I have been washing mine more, I wonder if this might start to affect people's septic systems out in the country where they aren't on sewer systems. I am sure they can handle some antibacterial soap, but if a larger family is suddenly using a lot more and maybe other cleaners and sanitizers as well, I would think it could start to kill off the good bacteria in septic systems. I personally don't know how much they can handle, more just thinking out loud.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    XrroUe8.jpg

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well, things like wiping down stuff with disinfecting wipes and the plexiglass shields at checkouts will certainly help. Heck, just having a generation of people who wash their hands really well will help.

A shutdown like this obviously isn't a good idea, but as someone in a couple risk groups, it seems like these other precautions will help people stay healthy year-round.

Oh - what about murder rates? I know Indy has had some violence in the last couple weeks, but I have a sneaking suspicion that murder rates will be down overall for the first half of 2020. Might pick back up after things open up, but I'd be interested in those numbers.

ETA:
    Oops. Made the mistake of googling after I posted. Indy is actually ahead of last year for homicides. Well there goes that idea.

Domestic violence is way up. I saw a number for Beech Grove that was very high, percentage wise.

I guess we should expect that. Put two cage fighters in a cage....and a hockey game breaks out? Nope.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    chart.jpg

This chart from CDC shows 17,229 deaths from COVID-19 and an additional 7,676 deaths from pneumonia and COVID-19 combined to date.

worldometer.jpg

This is today's summary from the Worldometer site. They show 44,623 deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S. to date.

Why the discrepancy?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is today's summary from the Worldometer site. They show 44,623 deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S. to date.

Why the discrepancy?

US reporting sucks. From my perspective, the CDC numbers lag for the same reason ISDH numbers lag, people don't report as soon as they should.

For instance, Indiana reports to the public the deaths in the morning, then discusses updates in the afternoon. I believe WOM updates their numbers nearly real-time, so the Indiana numbers get included then (even if the Indiana numbers "back date" to when the deaths happened, not when the reporting happened).

I have no clue when those numbers get reported to the CDC or when the CDC decides to aggregate them and report them.

Again, purely from my perspective, the CDC is so far behind I think they're using the Gregorian calendar.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A discrepancy of 27,394 deaths in a 4 month period can't be attributed to slow reporting. One of these numbers is flat-out BS.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A discrepancy of 27,394 deaths in a 4 month period can't be attributed to slow reporting. One of these numbers is flat-out BS.

Yeah, the CDC's.

But the number is actually closer to 3,000, if you actually go to the CDC website:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Oh, and if the author of whatever article wants to cherry-pick numbers, the CDC (as a federal agency) doesn't do weekends, apparently:
    Numbers reported on Saturdays and Sundays are preliminary and not yet confirmed by state and territorial health departments. These numbers will be modified when numbers are updated on Mondays.

ETA:
    Not that it helps, but your 17k number leaves out the 7k combined pneumonia + COVID deaths. So, that's more like 24k deaths, which is still a 20k discrepancy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    US reporting sucks. From my perspective, the CDC numbers lag for the same reason ISDH numbers lag, people don't report as soon as they should.

For instance, Indiana reports to the public the deaths in the morning, then discusses updates in the afternoon. I believe WOM updates their numbers nearly real-time, so the Indiana numbers get included then (even if the Indiana numbers "back date" to when the deaths happened, not when the reporting happened).

I have no clue when those numbers get reported to the CDC or when the CDC decides to aggregate them and report them.

Again, purely from my perspective, the CDC is so far behind I think they're using the Gregorian calendar.

:scratch: I think most of the Western world uses the Gregorian calendar. Usually it's just computer geeks that use Julian dates.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

It is worse than that. Not only did they use a fake photo for at least one of those scenes, but if you look carefully, you will see that people are properly social distancing except for apparent families. There is absolutely nothing wrong in that photo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom