• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    i gotta say I'm feeling pretty darned validated as the terror facade is falling down

Yes! The sheeple still have to be calmed from the fright they were give and to ease into life again...

BUT, the supply chain disruptions are real and going to have ramifications likely bigger than the virus...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas are making noises about gradual reopening in the next couple weeks.

I do not know the situation in those specific areas, but I do know that Texas is REALLY big. I'd be a bit concerned about the more rural areas not having the infrastructure for a hotspot, but those are also the places less likely to get infected.

Some governor needs to be the first.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Lululemon fires global art director over racist “Bat Fried Rice” t-shirt design
    https://shanghaiist.com/2020/04/21/...or-over-racist-bat-fried-rice-t-shirt-design/

I want one! Would go great with my red hat.
    lululemon35-1024x569.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes! The sheeple still have to be calmed from the fright they were give and to ease into life again...

BUT, the supply chain disruptions are real and going to have ramifications likely bigger than the virus...

Good and bad.
    Good cause it will show all of us that we need to stop depending on china.

Bad cause its gonna hurt for a while even a medium-long time while the shortages occur.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Makes sense. Gotta give the people it was intended to help a chance. Bizness, especially big bizness has slurped up the $300+ billion of "small business" financial assistance.

I've got no sympathy for collection agencies on these funds.

Well, I don't have a lot of respect for people that don't pay their debts, either.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    hubris: excessive pride toward or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.

or
    excessive pride or self-confidence.

nemesis:
    the inescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall.

To me it is amazing how political covid-19 has become. The science and response. All of it. I find it disgusting.

Not much has changed though. How most respond has. It seems to be along political lines and not much else. Even the science. Either side can hold up a study to support their point of view.

I do not live in fear. Long before our government,or most any governments had responded I was taking action to protect myself and my family.No "side" is claiming we are not in a pandemic. No side can begin to claim global supply chains did not shatter. No side is responsible for your well being,you are. No one can deny the global impacts(cause yes,but not that they are happening). It is still hard for people to wrap their heads around. Those not basing choices on political views and the latest talking point still seem to base them on normalcy bias, as if this is not real because they can not or do not want to imagine a world were it is(or cant imagine it).

What you do now will impact you for the rest of your life.

Choose wisely.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My lawn tractor does have a cup holder. That could work!

It would help more if you used one of those old V10 Dodge trucks but sure the lawn tractor will help.

There will be lots of lawn tractors trying to help real soon.

I always use non-ethanol gas in my lawn tractor so I'm not helping as much that way, just have to drive the truck more I guess.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Apparently you disagree with the jurisdiction section of their ruling.

Perhaps you should tell them they are incorrect.

It won't help. One dissenting justice did. If they don't listen to a fellow justice, why would they listen to me? Because it's what they WANT to do. I don't think it's a moral thing for creditors to take that money from the people who need it. But that's a personal opinion.

They have jurisdiction over procedural rules in the courts, sure. But they're using that for more than just procedural stuff. It writes a sort of enforceable law over the public. That kind of power is assumed. If objections over that assumption are given no weight, it becomes de facto.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's a little easier for me, I suppose.

The government has provided specific relief to those it has deemed in need as a result of a crisis. No other party should be able to wet their beak in that transaction.

The last crisis bailed out the financial institutions. It did not, for the most part, help the little guy with his debt obligations.

This crisis identified a specific amount for the little guy...which is a credit to Trump and the others who provided it. The banks can **** themselves.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Makes sense. Gotta give the people it was intended to help a chance. Bizness, especially big bizness has slurped up the $300+ billion of "small business" financial assistance.

I've got no sympathy for collection agencies on these funds.

Whether we think it's a good idea is not the issue.

This is not how law should be made. The dissent gets it 100% right. This is a matter for a legislature, not a court, especially not a Supreme Court which is using "rulemaking" authority in a way without precedent.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would help more if you used one of those old V10 Dodge trucks but sure the lawn tractor will help.

There will be lots of lawn tractors trying to help real soon.

I always use non-ethanol gas in my lawn tractor so I'm not helping as much that way, just have to drive the truck more I guess.

I've got a 5.9 L in my old Dodge, but I figured the lawn tractor would draw less attention from the neighbors. :):

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Whether we think it's a good idea is not the issue.

This is not how law should be made. The dissent gets it 100% right. This is a matter for a legislature, not a court, especially not a Supreme Court which is using "rulemaking" authority in a way without precedent.

Your opinion.

The crisis is without precedent. The governor forcing you to close your business (most, not all) is without precedent. The legislature is not in session during the crisis.

And this is the way precedent is established, is it not? You could appeal the decision. To another court. (mmmmmummmmble mmmmummmmble Marbury v Madison mmmmmmumble)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's a little easier for me, I suppose.

The government has provided specific relief to those it has deemed in need as a result of a crisis. No other party should be able to wet their beak in that transaction.

The last crisis bailed out the financial institutions. It did not, for the most part, help the little guy with his debt obligations.

This crisis identified a specific amount for the little guy...which is a credit to Trump and the others who provided it. The banks can **** themselves.

Saw a semi-related piece on WTHR this morning. It was from the point of view of a landlord. His renter hasn't been paying rent (presumably because they lost their job during this mess). So now the landlord is stuck. If that rental income is his only source of income, now he's being hurt just as badly as the renter. So who is hurt worse? Seems to me both have lost their livelihood for the time being.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You talking about the veteran who worked at Applebees?

Yeah. Lots of impacts. Market tanks by trillions of dollars. Oil is negative. Bond yields are negative.

The **** has hit the fan.

My vote: Save families first. A landlord is not going to rent it to someone else in the middle of a crisis (probably). He's going to have some downside either way.

The eviction is counter to the order of the executive branch.

A decent landlord would attempt a negotiated arrangement. This landlord appeared to not take the more moderate course.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You talking about the veteran who worked at Applebees?

Yeah. Lots of impacts. Market tanks by trillions of dollars. Oil is negative. Bond yields are negative.

The **** has hit the fan.

My vote: Save families first. A landlord is not going to rent it to someone else in the middle of a crisis (probably). He's going to have some downside either way.

The eviction is counter to the order of the executive branch.

A decent landlord would attempt a negotiated arrangement. This landlord appeared to not take the more moderate course.

I didn't catch all the details (had it on in the background while I was working). I was just pointing out that this has hurt a lot of people, and not all the ones "needing" the money are big corporations. Tough situation all around it seems to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Your opinion.

The crisis is without precedent. The governor forcing you to close your business (most, not all) is without precedent. The legislature is not in session during the crisis.

And this is the way precedent is established, is it not? You could appeal the decision. To another court. (mmmmmummmmble mmmmummmmble Marbury v Madison mmmmmmumble)

There are statutes which give the Governor the authority to do what he has done.

No. This is not how precedent is established. The Supreme Court does not have this power...but it does now because no one will challenge it.

Besides, protecting "stimulus" checks is just populism anyway. It really isn't a significant anything except for the fact that the people who benefit don't, didn't and won't pay their bills.

Anyhoo....I don't care that much, it's just that you can't have a functioning economy without the rule of law which is predictable. The ad hoc nature of these decisions injects uncertainty....additional uncertainty.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Oh, I agree. But I think the emphasis that Trump had....and with which I agree....is that we protect families first. Food, shelter and medical care. Business follows.

There is no doubt that this man owes rent. He does not get a pass on his debt. Just the time to develop the wherewithal to pay it. Utilities are not being turned off for the same reason.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom