• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Other forms of personal income can be off-limits, so I guess the federal legislation for these election-year buyouts didn't include that.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Besides, protecting "stimulus" checks is just populism anyway. It really isn't a significant anything except for the fact that the people who benefit don't, didn't and won't pay their bills.

Populist. From the Latin populus: People. You can make it pejorative if you want. I look at it as more a short-term remedy until more facts become available to make effective decisions for the citizens of the country.

As to whether they will pay their debts....you only have to look at the thread on how INGO members are using their stimulus checks to see that you either misworded your thought...or how wrong your thought might be.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Other forms of personal income can be off-limits, so I guess the federal legislation for these election-year buyouts didn't include that.

No. It didn't.

Courts stepping in here to make one-off (hopefully) rules in a make-believe adversarial proceeding....not great.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is true, however what is the reason?

With some viruses the outbreak runs its course before a vaccine can be developed and afterward there is no need for the vaccine and work directed at it stops.
    With the SARS virus, a vaccine was actually developed and then not really needed. However this work is useful now since the SARS virus was also a corona virus. It was also a single strand RNA virus like this china virus this gives us a leg up on developing a vaccine for the current china virus and will probably stimulate further work in this field so the response time will be better for future china f*** ups.

The response time for future China f***ups of this nature should be 8 minutes (depressed trajectory SLBM). I'm not at all sure that it shouldn't be the default response in the case we're currently dealing with

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The response time for future China f***ups of this nature should be 8 minutes (depressed trajectory SLBM). I'm not at all sure that it shouldn't be the default response in the case we're currently dealing with

I'm sure global nuclear war will make everything better.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes! The sheeple still have to be calmed from the fright they were give and to ease into life again...

BUT, the supply chain disruptions are real and going to have ramifications likely bigger than the virus...

I'm sure global nuclear war will make everything better.

[video=youtube_share;jDY0TkvgySw]https://youtu.be/jDY0TkvgySw[/video]

But it sure will make us feel good!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No. It didn't.

Courts stepping in here to make one-off (hopefully) rules in a make-believe adversarial proceeding....not great.

Justice Slaughter gets it:

Slaughter, Justice, dissenting.

I share the Court’s desire to provide some measure of relief to Hoosiers who face severe financial challenges in these difficult and uncertain times. And today’s order may succeed in achieving this laudable goal. But with this order, we overstep our limited role under Indiana’s constitution—which is to interpret law, not make it, and to leave to the political branches the prerogative of deciding and implementing policy. The Court today invokes our original jurisdiction, with which we supervise the practice and procedure in Indiana courts, to issue an emergency rule providing what is tantamount to substantive legal relief. We do so based on the view that individual stimulus payments that Congress recently appropriated under the CARES Act are to be used for life’s necessities and, thus, should be exempt from garnishment and attachment by debt collectors and judgment creditors. Whether or not this result is what Congress intended, it is not what Congress enacted. Nowhere did Congress declare these payments to be off-limits to collectors and creditors. And, to date, neither has our legislature.

I am aware of no law—federal or state—exempting these stimulus payments from garnishment and attachment. And the Court cites none. That does not mean stimulus-payment recipients are without recourse. One option would be for the Congress to make clear the funds are not subject to garnishment and attachment. Another would be for the secretary of the treasury to issue regulatory guidance declaring these funds exempt. See 31 C.F.R. § 212.2(b). And a third option would be for our governor to call a special session of the general assembly to enact legislation codifying this result under state law.

I do not presume to defend the wisdom or legality of these or other potential policy options. But the course we choose today—providing substantive relief through our original jurisdiction in what amounts to “adjudication by rulemaking”—finds no legal support. And it is incompatible with the exercise of judicial power. We should decide parties’ substantive rights and responsibilities in justiciable controversies litigated in the ordinary course—not in emergency rules.

For these reasons, I respectfully dissent.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Populist. From the Latin populus: People. You can make it pejorative if you want. I look at it as more a short-term remedy until more facts become available to make effective decisions for the citizens of the country.

As to whether they will pay their debts....you only have to look at the thread on how INGO members are using their stimulus checks to see that you either misworded your thought...or how wrong your thought might be.

we didn’t have any bills to pay because we already paid them. We did increase our mortgage payment this month another $500 so we paid $2500 on our $900 mortgage.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...As to whether they will pay their debts....you only have to look at the thread on how INGO members are using their stimulus checks to see that you either misworded your thought...or how wrong your thought might be.

This new "rule" applies to judgment debtors. People who have been adjudicated delinquent on a debt and have been ordered to pay it, or are in that process. They have already proven that they will not pay their debt unless forced to...and not even then.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw a medical doctor (from down around New Albany) being interviewed. He said that the based on his observations that the shutdown has indeed “flattened the curve”. In fact, it’s done it so well that hospitalizations and presumably deaths from all other respiratory infections and viruses have declined dramatically as well.

Should we enact the same shutdowns every fall/winter/spring (cold/flu season)?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I saw a medical doctor (from down around New Albany) being interviewed. He said that the based on his observations that the shutdown has indeed “flattened the curve”. In fact, it’s done it so well that hospitalizations and presumably deaths from all other respiratory infections and viruses have declined dramatically as well.

Well, things like wiping down stuff with disinfecting wipes and the plexiglass shields at checkouts will certainly help. Heck, just having a generation of people who wash their hands really well will help.

A shutdown like this obviously isn't a good idea, but as someone in a couple risk groups, it seems like these other precautions will help people stay healthy year-round.

Oh - what about murder rates? I know Indy has had some violence in the last couple weeks, but I have a sneaking suspicion that murder rates will be down overall for the first half of 2020. Might pick back up after things open up, but I'd be interested in those numbers.

ETA:
    Oops. Made the mistake of googling after I posted. Indy is actually ahead of last year for homicides. Well there goes that idea.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Or maybe get the flu shot instead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom