Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Sigh.

Okay.

So you say that there is nothing there that is about what you know to be true, and then you state things you think are true, like that there is something deeper, and that the view we're given is smoke and mirrors. You state that as if it were a fact already in evidence and it's not.

Of course people in political power say things that are misleading and untrue. It's been proven often enough. Politician says something. Later the statement was proven to be false. So you'd need to provide something better than intuitive reasoning. You can't logically say, politicians often lie so they're definitely lying in this case. But, you make a more general statement that would be reasonable, like, because they often lie, not everything they say is trustworthy. But if you want make a more specific judgments about their motives for shutting some things down and not others, you need more specific information about that. Any smoking guns? Any hot mic comments that show their motivation was different from what was stated?

Oh Dude, get over yourself, nobody said what you are rambling about.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Is there any possibility China will report anything close to their actual experience data?

At this moment, they appear to be fools to the rest of the world.
    Unlikely. My own opinion is that I doubt that they kept proper records, for fear that they might leak. If proper records do exist, they are likely under the control of a small number of people, all with a vested interest in keeping them from the public gaze.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    3k deaths is only about 50% more than where we're at now, on average, and probably within our capacity (as long as they aren't all in one locale). And I hope we can diagnose 200k cases per day. That would really help keep this under control.

But it's the NYT quoting anonymous leaks and they are proven to just make **** up. An alternative explanation is they see the desired clampdown slipping away and are trying to reignite the fear

I really used to think that a vast left wing conspiracy was no more likely than a vast right wing one. My God, have my eyes been opened

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it's driven by more than just population density alone. It's big. But it's not everything. NY seemed to be the perfect storm of population density and plenty of conduits to spread the virus. They were hit pretty hard early on. I suppose that if everyone in Montana went to a ****-kicking meetup somewhere, Montana would have a **** ton of cases. But they live ****ing miles from each other. Except in the areas with a higher population density.

Maybe in Florida, since they have such a high population of old ****s, people just stayed home because they were afraid of getting it. And then all the people spreading it around, went home after spring break. I'm only half serious about that point.

I just ran these numbers for a different conversation. NYC has 67.5% of all NY deaths, but DTW has 81% of all MI deaths. NY has several other largeish cities, MI only has GRR and that's pretty much it. FL has quite a few large cities. I think the differences might lie in the actions of the respective governors, esp. with respect to nursing home/elder care precautions put in place early by DeSantis while deBlasio sent patients to such facilities without adequate controls. A lot of the deaths have occurred at such facilities and preferentially among the aged

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Florida also presents a confirmation bias possibility regarding Cause of Death. In a geriatric state in which people die from cardiovascular issues with great frequency, especially the early cases of heart attack/pneumonia/renal failure were the obvious causes in and of themselves. The coronavirus link may have been hidden or ignored.

But, there's other intervening mitigators, like sunlight and salt water, that might be acting to reduce the deaths there.

IMHO, it doesn't really matter right now why the numbers are different. Great care should be taken to improve Indiana's numbers and continue Florida's "good" numbers.

The point is to not decide the assumptions we are operating under are correct in light of such a prominent counter-example

Herd mentality will not get us to herd immunity

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Remind me again - are the "sheeple" the ones that want to contain and control the virus's spread, or are they the ones being convinced that this a government plot to destroy religious freedom, by using a a virus created by the Chinese?

Which begs the question - Is the virus bad or not? On one hand it's bad because the Chinese caused and they're all bad people. On the other hand, the lockdown is dumb because it's just like common flu. Make up your collective minds.

The sheeple blindly believe their FB curated news thread, morning network "news", and CNN viewing is reality...

The virus IS bad.

The virus numbers appear similar to flu.

The lockdown will hurt more people worse than the virus.

All in plain simple text...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    'tis a pity that Trump can't hold a candle to a backwoods yokel like the Hoosier guvnr in press conference. I'd add "don'tcha think", but I really don't want a response.

Well run him in the Booty Judge slot that opened up. Oh, that's right. All the good little apparatchiks are required to be on the bandwagon for the Great White Dope. Yawn

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One thing that I will miss once we do open up fully is the light traffic. Had to make a couple of trips today and it struck me once again how very little traffic that there was. I don't miss heavy traffic.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One thing that I will miss once we do open up fully is the light traffic. Had to make a couple of trips today and it struck me once again how very little traffic that there was. I don't miss heavy traffic.
    Yep. I have to make a left turn out of our subdivision onto Main St, which has a hospital, a grocery, and three schools within about four blocks. It's been sweet making that turn for the past month or so when I need to go to Walgreens or to the hospital.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep. I have to make a left turn out of our subdivision onto Main St, which has a hospital, a grocery, and three schools within about four blocks. It's been sweet making that turn for the past month or so when I need to go to Walgreens or to the hospital.

Yes! I have to make a left turn onto a busy 4 lane road when I come home from Kroger and it can sometimes be a lengthy wait. Today - nobody coming in either direction, and this was at what would normally have been the height of the morning rush hour.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just ran these numbers for a different conversation. NYC has 67.5% of all NY deaths, but DTW has 81% of all MI deaths. NY has several other largeish cities, MI only has GRR and that's pretty much it. FL has quite a few large cities. I think the differences might lie in the actions of the respective governors, esp. with respect to nursing home/elder care precautions put in place early by DeSantis while deBlasio sent patients to such facilities without adequate controls. A lot of the deaths have occurred at such facilities and preferentially among the aged

That's a good point. I don't think it's just one thing though, but several individual factors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom