Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    To some extent, yes.

Let me get something straight here, I agree with common sense approaches to minimize the transmission. I agree that closing many businesses and schools MAY have helped and I also agree that going to that extreme will help with any transmittable disease (flu, colds etc.). It's common sense. My concern is the speed of opening things up and the excuses being used for such. The government is instilling fear into the population and the puppets are acting accordingly.

The trend is obvious, time to move on. Stop talking about it and do it. There is NO REASON to stop it.

• San Francisco received national praise for its early, proactive response to the Spanish flu pandemic in the fall of 1918.
    • But when the number of cases tapered off by November 1918, the city relaxed restrictions on the public too early, ultimately leaving San Francisco with one of the highest death rates in the US by the spring of 1919.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

I think history is a reason.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    • San Francisco received national praise for its early, proactive response to the Spanish flu pandemic in the fall of 1918.
    • But when the number of cases tapered off by November 1918, the city relaxed restrictions on the public too early, ultimately leaving San Francisco with one of the highest death rates in the US by the spring of 1919.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

I think history is a reason.
    San Francisco's sanitation was probably better in 1918 than it is today.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    San Francisco's sanitation was probably better in 1918 than it is today.

You think? :):

San Francisco is establishing a "poop patrol" in order to combat the rising tide of human feces flooding its streets, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
    The San Francisco Chronicle also reported that members of the patrol will make an annual base salary of $71,760 — $184,678 if you include mandated benefits. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage of a refuse and recyclable material collector was $36,160 in 2017

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You think? :):

San Francisco is establishing a "poop patrol" in order to combat the rising tide of human feces flooding its streets, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
    The San Francisco Chronicle also reported that members of the patrol will make an annual base salary of $71,760 — $184,678 if you include mandated benefits. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage of a refuse and recyclable material collector was $36,160 in 2017
    It's a ****ty job but somebody's got to do it! :):

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The projections were "wrong" because we changed our behavior.

In all honesty, I'm impatient. I want to go to my kids' events. I want to meet up with our friends. I want to go to our favorite restaurants. Heck, I even want to go to restaurants that I didn't like all that much.

But, when I look objectively at the numbers, I have real concerns that it is too early. It might not be. The capacity numbers are good, and I happen to know first-hand that there are contingencies in place if things go back to being on track for REALLY bad. But, we do not appear to have control over the transmission rate or deaths.

Selfishly, I want this to end May 1 in my county. Realistically, there is considerable risk in that.

Unless I'm grossly mis-remembering, actual hospitalizations, ICU, ventilators, and deaths were well-below even the projections that accounted for social distancing - i.e. changing our behavior.

The possibility still remains that the projections were wrong because the assumptions were wrong. I don't have time to play with the numbers, but I'm curious how the projections would look if the assumptions were changed to a virus spread that started 2-3 months earlier (as several of us suggested was a possibility/likelihood back before social distancing). That is: if we were already past the inflection point (i.e. negative acceleration in the upside of the curve), would the curve behave much the same as what some are claiming as a "flattened" curve?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What law has congress made that violates that?

Taken to their logical conclusion, since the first amendment is incorporated to the states: the various state legislatures that passed emergency power statutes that authorized governors to violate the constitutional protections of the first amendment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Unless I'm grossly mis-remembering, actual hospitalizations, ICU, ventilators, and deaths were well-below even the projections that accounted for social distancing - i.e. changing our behavior.

The possibility still remains that the projections were wrong because the assumptions were wrong. I don't have time to play with the numbers, but I'm curious how the projections would look if the assumptions were changed to a virus spread that started 2-3 months earlier (as several of us suggested was a possibility/likelihood back before social distancing). That is: if we were already past the inflection point (i.e. negative acceleration in the upside of the curve), would the curve behave much the same as what some are claiming as a "flattened" curve?

Yeah. Certainly there were "hot spots" in which the hospitals were overwhelmed early on, but as our own hoosierdoc has said, his ER unit's "business" went down significantly once they told people to stay home. If people were getting sick at the rate that was expected, they should have been busy from just the Covid patients, at least early on, if the projections were correct. I know it's anecdotal, but there have been reports of the same from around the country.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Taken to their logical conclusion, since the first amendment is incorporated to the states: the various state legislatures that passed emergency power statutes that authorized governors to violate the constitutional protections of the first amendment.

We've already been there. Let's not ruin my fun again.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    C’mon now...

I have just barely started having fun with this.

...but if we’re going to use the judicially created “incorporation” doctrine, don’t we have to recognize that even with strict scrutiny, there can be restrictions on 1st Amendment rights?

...or do we only like judicially created rules of interpretation when we like the result?

This is an interesting line of thought. Explain how a blanket, statewide travel restriction encompassing every person within state lines to go anywhere within the state (as you and I argued about in the prior thread - the emergency powers allegedly given to the Governor of Indiana by IGA through the statute you and others cited) meets the standards of strict scrutiny.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My question is this. Why is the whole state locked down or whatever you call it when only about 10 Counties actually need to be? Why are the rest being treated the same way?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So are you immune to woo woo after you catch it?
    My wife has a friend who is a nurse. She had it, recovered, went back to work, and has it again. Round and round.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is an interesting line of thought. Explain how a blanket, statewide travel restriction encompassing every person within state lines to go anywhere within the state (as you and I argued about in the prior thread - the emergency powers allegedly given to the Governor of Indiana by IGA through the statute you and others cited) meets the standards of strict scrutiny.

Short answer- the unknown likely justifies greater restrictions. As the unknown becomes more known, it may no longer meet strict scrutiny.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So are you immune to woo woo after you catch it?
    My wife has a friend who is a nurse. She had it, recovered, went back to work, and has it again. Round and round.

#1 No one knows for sure,
    #2 She likely never completely cleared it, or, in fact, doesn't have it now. Is this based upon symptoms or a positive test after testing negative (which still doesn't exclude never having completely cleared it).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom