Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Mortality rate 0.12 to 0.2 %

No reason to stay shut down. If you are vulnerable, then stay isolated and use ppe.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...9m1QOOmknXWzlF-SQtqsv7UmdUYxmIVqbQu6Sh4Gpr1Dw

I actually think the mortality rate is lower myself. No way to have real world numbers on whose been infected. So the only numbers we can go off of is 61k (inflated number) dead to 330 million Americans. Makes mortality rate right around .0185% currently. I say this because we are told how highly infectious this virus is. So one would assume that most of the population has been exposed at some point. I would venture a guess that if we could test every single American at least 1/3 has been exposed which still would make this no worse than a bad flu season. Especially since the Kung Flu has been here since November/December timeframe.
    Just my opinion but it's the strain of flu this year. Maybe a little more deadly than previous years flus but still no reason to shut down an entire country. They talk of a second wave coming in November. Well Duh, that's the start of flu season for 2020-2021

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Jumping late and haven't seen what these numbers are suppose to pertain to for sure.
    I'm assuming that past years numbers are Flu deaths and this years numbers are Kung Flu and regular Flu combined? Is that what you're saying thise numbers are?

If that where true the CDC would not have taken down the excess deaths page that showed most of the USA having 30-60% more deaths for the last two months vs the average of the last 5 years(they had it broken down to individual counties not just states).

This one. https://wwwdev.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

New York Times put up a few of the charts though.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

I was wrong. They did not take it down,just revised it from the original dev stage to a final public one.Still shows daily deaths spike by 10-21k above daily averages. Removed county and state level data and all but one chart.
    Here is the link.
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Ok then. So what does this actually tell us? We know there wasn't 25k deaths attributed to Covid in 1 day.
    One could assume the uptick in deaths could be attributed to people not going to DR for other illnesses, suicides, etc. And that uptick could be directly correlated to the shutdown.
    Kind of gives me another reason why we need to end this s**show now.

No reason to stay shut down. If you are vulnerable, then stay isolated and use ppe.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...9m1QOOmknXWzlF-SQtqsv7UmdUYxmIVqbQu6Sh4Gpr1Dw

I know of the study from Stanford. I have read it. Understood what they considered a random sample that they then extrapolated to the entire population of California. It is **** science,and in no way related to reality.

You both have reached conclusions on what you think is the best course of action and honestly to either of you that is all that matters. Your opinions where formed over weeks based on the information you had and sought out.

Do I think either of you are wrong to want to open everything again. Yes. I think we are in for a repeat of 1918 with a second wave more than 5 times as deadly as the first.
    I have followed this and the science since January. One thing has changed dramatically even in the science,and that is the politics. It seems more about politics than a pandemic and I mean that for both sides. Of course now you have business interest that support politicians involved in huge ways. Do you think a politician financially supported by business has you as a primary concern or the money?

Case in point.

Congress was supposed to come back to work 4/27/2020. The reason they gave for not doing that is covid-19,and it posing to much of a risk(reps and dems). But you...you get back to work and everything is going to be open again it is "'low risk".

Just like this spreading in the USA was low risk for 2 months as it spread.

Me personally will keep doing what I have been since early February. Taking precautions,avoiding crowds,and getting prepared as best I can for what is coming.

This is just the first chapter in a long book.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

On the good side. The population sampling methods for this test sound much better than that joke of "study" from stanford. They used a marketing database that claimed a representative sample of the county population. That is a very good start.

However they don't give enough information in this preliminary release to evaluate much else, such as the specificity and sensitivity of the antibody test they used.
    Also they cited the stanford paper - not a great sign - and neither paper has been peer reviewed.

We know there are a lot of people in the antibody group they are trying to find but their numbers should not be considered quantitative yet.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I guess no one ever broke the news to them about the 1 to 2 trillion microbes on or in their body? (some recent reports show 3.8 * 10^13)

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I’m getting pretty agitated with the carry out
    businesses that have closed their restrooms but you still go inside to order.

I run service calls all day. It would be nice to be able to wash my hands before I eat since that’s the number one way to prevent the spread of disease. But it seems like more and more places have
    decided that you cannot use their restroom.

I’m not sure what the difference is if I’m already in the store. I’ve left Multiple Subways and a Jersey mikes in the last week because they have the restroom closed.

Never thought about where to pee. I've not been out much, but when I start, there will need to be restrooms open.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    One thing I will say for this virus.

I has certainly revealed who the "germophobes" are.

I have never been a germophobe.

One thing this disease has revealed clearly are talking points,media,and political influence on individuals opinions and thought processes.

You can clearly see opinions form when the latest headline is released.

Nothing has changed since I started warning everything that you considered normal was about not to be back in early February...other than the message being given to the public and the reactions from it.

Blame is still rampant. Fear of opening or staying closed. Knee jerk reactions to problems and a complete lack of clarity of our real situation.

What about things like the USA already being in a recession in Q4 of 2019? It was. To understand that all you have to do is look at the money velocity released by the Federal Reserve.

Many understand tiny pieces of the problems we face,and place blame at what ever source they think caused the problem.

It would be nice if politics where not involved,but of course that is now the driving force behind choices at most levels(politics and money).

I do not know what to say to someone who thinks this is the flu anymore. That is not the reality of the disease.

Time will correct that view I am certain,so it is no longer worth arguing.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Case in point.

Congress was supposed to come back to work 4/27/2020. The reason they gave for not doing that is covid-19,and it posing to much of a risk(reps and dems). But you...you get back to work and everything is going to be open again it is "'low risk".

To be fair a lot of them are old and the risk to the old people is higher than the risk to younger people.
    Besides we all know congress critters are sooo self important that they have to take extraordinary measures to protect themselves.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have never been a germophobe.

One thing this disease has revealed clearly are talking points,media,and political influence on individuals opinions and thought processes.

You can clearly see opinions form when the latest headline is released.

Nothing has changed since I started warning everything that you considered normal was about not to be back in early February...other than the message being given to the public and the reactions from it.

Blame is still rampant. Fear of opening or staying closed. Knee jerk reactions to problems and a complete lack of clarity of our real situation.

What about things like the USA already being in a recession in Q4 of 2019? It was. To understand that all you have to do is look at the money velocity released by the Federal Reserve.

Many understand tiny pieces of the problems we face,and place blame at what ever source they think caused the problem.

It would be nice if politics where not involved,but of course that is now the driving force behind choices at most levels(politics and money).

I do not know what to say to someone who thinks this is the flu anymore. That is not the reality of the disease.

Time will correct that view I am certain,so it is no longer worth arguing.

There used to be a Carly Simon song...I'm trying to think of the name...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To be fair a lot of them are old and the risk to the old people is higher than the risk to younger people.
    Besides we all know congress critters are sooo self important that they have to take extraordinary measures to protect themselves.

I thought the senate was in session as is SCOTUS. Just the democrat house seats is out...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I actually think the mortality rate is lower myself. No way to have real world numbers on whose been infected. So the only numbers we can go off of is 61k (inflated number) dead to 330 million Americans. Makes mortality rate right around .0185% currently. I say this because we are told how highly infectious this virus is. So one would assume that most of the population has been exposed at some point. I would venture a guess that if we could test every single American at least 1/3 has been exposed which still would make this no worse than a bad flu season. Especially since the Kung Flu has been here since November/December timeframe.
    Just my opinion but it's the strain of flu this year. Maybe a little more deadly than previous years flus but still no reason to shut down an entire country. They talk of a second wave coming in November. Well Duh, that's the start of flu season for 2020-2021

No. Last time for me too.

The flu is short for influenza - a disease caused by influenza A virus or influenza B virus. The most common strains for the 2019-20 season are influenza B/Victoria V1A.1 and influenza B/Victoria V1A.3 with some influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 thrown in.

COVID-19 is a different disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus which is a corona virus and not an influenza virus at all and not the flu at all - they are different diseases caused by different virus families.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    mrz042620-color-1-1mb_orig.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom