jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Of course.

...not that I am implying that attitudes about opening up are defined by employment status.

My work has been uninterrupted, but I want to start opening up (however, my son is out of work and so far- no UE benefits).

I have daily meetings with coworkers. Sometimes we talk about more than work. Most people I work with seem to be on the side of "opening things up is selfish". I've heard from more than one marginalizing that side as "haircut".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have daily meetings with coworkers. Sometimes we talk about more than work. Most people I work with seem to be on the side of "opening things up is selfish". I've heard from more than one marginalizing that side as "haircut".

I have a rule in my house (which the kids like to ignore), No complaints without a solution.

...so what is their solution, or at least, plan?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Most of my coworkers are just happy to be working from home, but it has nothing to do with the coronavirus. Of course a few of them are those "chronically social" people that just crave that face to face communication and comaraderie. I am not one of those, at least not when it comes to coworkers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a rule in my house (which the kids like to ignore), No complaints without a solution.

...so what is their solution, or at least, plan?

Ride it out. Apparently. That's the solution. Well. Also blame it all on Trump. So. in steps:

1) blame it on Trump

2) ride it out indefinately

3) blame it on Trump

4) call people selfish who disagree and claim they're just mad because they want a real ass haircut.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Most of my coworkers are just happy to be working from home, but it has nothing to do with the coronavirus. Of course a few of them are those "chronically social" people that just crave that face to face communication and comaraderie. I am not one of those, at least not when it comes to coworkers.

Well, most of us are used to working from home. Before all this I worked from home 2 or 3 days a week anyway. But, I do miss the face to face interaction. That's not why I want things opened up though.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ride it out. Apparently. That's the solution. Well. Also blame it all on Trump. So. in steps:

1) blame it on Trump

3) blame it on Trump

4) call people selfish who disagree and claim they're just mad because they want a real ass haircut.

Just go out on the back patio take my clippers put 9 mm guide in there go to town and then let my wife clean it up if she needs to

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just go out on the back patio take my clippers put 9 mm guide in there go to town and then let my wife clean it up if she needs to

I usually like to go with a #8 on the sides, and then have the top blended in with scissors. But that part I can't do myself.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

9mm?? Dang hippie... :):

I put a towel in the bathroom sink. 1/4" guide (because 'Merica!) all over, then top and partway down the sides with 1/8" (again, 'Merica!). Trim around the ears with my little rechargeable trimmer.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    9mm?? Dang hippie... :):

I put a towel in the bathroom sink. 1/4" guide (because 'Merica!) all over, then top and partway down the sides with 1/8" (again, 'Merica!). Trim around the ears with my little rechargeable trimmer.

Well I figure if I used a 9 millimeter guide I'll always have an extra clip;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

1) blame it on Trump

3) blame it on Trump

"Ride it out" is not a plan...unless we know when it will end...and under "shelter in place"...that could be a long time.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Disclaimer: my employment and my wife’s has been uninterrupted, but most of my family and friends have not been getting paid.

my observation is that a lot of the “keep it closed” crowd have no skin in the game, meaning they either get paid from home, or have some other means of making money, or have nothing and therefore nothing to lose. The “open it up” people that I know, have to work, can’t work from home, and are worried about car payments, house payments, food, electricity, and such.

I have thought about it a bunch and I am firmly in the open it up crowd. The vulnerable can keep doing what they are doing to keep safeish, but to expect the majority, VAST majority to take a hit for them is wrong. Just my opinion.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I usually like to go with a #8 on the sides, and then have the top blended in with scissors. But that part I can't do myself.

Run your fingers through your hair on top. Cut anything that sticks up above the top of your fingers. It actually works pretty well if you have a decent eye for symmetry.

I'd recommend doing the top first then fade in the sides and back.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    "Ride it out" is not a plan...unless we know when it will end...and under "shelter in place"...that could be a long time.
    What most of the epidemiologists call for (and it makes sense to me) is to have approximately double the testing capacity that we have now so we can do faster testing and contact tracing/notification.

I would also like to see better PPE supplies but I think those are at least gradually improving. Doctors and nurses are sometimes wearing the same N95 mask for an entire week when they should sometimes have several per shift (or at least 1 per shift depending if they are moving between patients). This would also make it possibly safer for anyone else who gets elective procedures.

To combine those 2 ideas: there is a saliva test showing promise. So that would not only make testing easier and faster, but you don't use PPE gear administering the test.

Having said that, I am not opposed to gradually changing what we do and closely monitoring the progress.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Run your fingers through your hair on top. Cut anything that sticks up above the top of your fingers. It actually works pretty well if you have a decent eye for symmetry.

I'd recommend doing the top first then fade in the sides and back.

If my hair gets as long as my fingers are thick, it drives me crazy. As soon as it starts touching my ears it drives me crazy. But the top of my head is a lost cause anyhow... not enough left to run my fingers through. :):

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Where do you hear all the loudness from that is against opening up the economy?
    I don't hear all that. Of course I don't listen to mainstream media either. If that is the source then that is also part of the explanation. I don't have coworkers anymore but everybody I talk to thinks it is time to open things up, including me.

In Minnesota, 83 percent of all the deaths in this state are people 70 years old and older. So when old people hear that 83 percent number and then somebody comes back with "Yeah, but...", you would think they might stop listening, but I have not found that to be true. Some of my friends are over 70 like me and the vast majority of them think it is time to open up.

I should add immediately it is not time for me personally to get foolish and go running around but for anybody that wants to, they should be able to do things like work, etc., regardless of the type of business. Their safety is at least partly their own responsibility. I have not been inside a building, other than my own house, for many weeks now. I get my groceries delivered and cut my own hair with a flowbee so I don't need to go inside anywhere. That has nothing to do with anybody else, that is my choice.

I do go to my son's place to go shooting but I don't go inside his house, I just drive to the back part. I will start going up to my cabin soon but I will bring all my food with me and it is out in the woods so it is safer there than here.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    My wife cuts my hair. Low pressure gig, since I don’t really care what it looks like. Worst case scenario is a burr, so I am back to my childhood days. What I miss the most is going to church and then eating out afterwards, that was our big thing. Also a trip to the bookstore.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    No one but me or the wife have cut my hair in 10 years. I still go to work every day. Open it up. Latest idea is that this has a 0.2% mortality rate. That means that 99.8% of the population will not die from this. Yes, that 740k Americans. It’s sad. But it’s not sad enough to keep the other 369,260,000 people locked down. 2.4 million people die every year in the us. It’s a part of life. Let us live what we have.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Australia has some great news reporting on the chinese virus. This is just one of many videos on it.
    They put the blame where it belongs - on china - 4:05 to the end is great.

[video=youtube;R3rAr_Ilx_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rAr_Ilx_U[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dekumadoriya24
    Top Bottom