nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Feel free to doubt it, then? :dunno:

I'm not getting dragged into the minutiae here. I gave ballpark figures last researched years ago. I don't care if the bounds of the gap have shifted. The point of the comment is that the gap is very real, and very problematic.

OK. I am forced to doubt it then. I don't want to get to the point where any claim is assumed true... just because.
    That just leads to untrue claims being made for any reason at all.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    95073480_1600474500100792_2629916704221691904_n.jpg

I will bet you that was typed on an Apple device. Ask me how I know :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    OK. I am forced to doubt it then. I don't want to get to the point where any claim is assumed true... just because.
    That just leads to untrue claims being made for any reason at all.

Then refute it or stay out. It is getting tiresome here that so many posts are greeted with "got a link". Like everything on the Internet is true anyway or not created with bias. If it is wrong show why. A significant number of linked posts in the coronavirus threads are wrong, but were thought gospel by many because of the linked post and authorities cited there. All this kind of post does is make those on the edge not want to post because they wish to avoid a overpersonalized debate.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

My take is a significant number of Costco customers are largely very affluent that were able to hide in their houses, watch CNN, and still have job security, at least in their mind. Those folks are very scared of the virus and likely put pressure on Costco to do this. It is inexplicable to me that as the virus recedes the rules get more stringent...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Then refute it or stay out. It is getting tiresome here that so many posts are greeted with "got a link". Like everything on the Internet is true anyway or not created with bias. If it is wrong show why. A significant number of linked posts in the coronavirus threads are wrong, but were thought gospel by many because of the linked post and authorities cited there. All this kind of post does is make those on the edge not want to post because they wish to avoid a overpersonalized debate.

I did not make the claim. If I made a claim like that I would provide something, just some little thing that hinted that it is accurate, to substantiate the claim. I retain the right to have my opinion just as you do yours. I also refuse to tell you to stay out - just not my style.

I think that is a remarkable number. However I would hesitate to repeat it unverified. The onus to verify it does not lie with me though since I have never claimed that number.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Instead of a cold turkey full stop at 30k, for every 1000 more you make, take a 1000$ support back so that it goes to zero at 70k.

Which is what I think you said. Even if it was 750 off for every 1000 up to 50k or something to incent folks to pursue a higher income

How do you accomplish such weaning? As long as income is $30K or below, the government supplements up to about $70K. As soon as income is above $30K, all government supplementation ends.

The system is designed to decentivize getting off of government assistance. There is almost no way to overcome that $30K - $70K income gap.

The only solution is to change the entitlement system to go from a cold-turkey cutoff at $30K to a phased-out cutoff up to $70K. The two problems with that are a) opposition to the appearance of spending more money on entitlements (even though it would actually be less, since more people would be facilitated to get off of government assistance), and b) the backlash when people really understand how much is actually being given out per person/family as entitlements.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    70k?

You realize that a lot of seniors are living on less than $30k per year (2 spouses) if they only have social security income? And generally doing OK? There's no new truck in that income. Or fancy trips. But if they are careful and stay out of the "consumer" mindset, they can do all right.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Every day I drive past the Costco in Merrillville and see people lined up outside...not quite 6 feet apart. for 40 to over 100 yards I always wonder what is so important in Costco that you want to stand in line with a bunch of people you have no idea about?

Sometimes you need ****. If you need it badly enough, you'll stand in line for it. But, as much as I know people hate all this going on, I really hope people don't get too used to things like standing in line.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Are you raising 3 kids? :)

I think that was one stipulation.

70k?

You realize that a lot of seniors are living on less than $30k per year (2 spouses) if they only have social security income? And generally doing OK? There's no new truck in that income. Or fancy trips. But if they are careful and stay out of the "consumer" mindset, they can do all right.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sometimes you need ****. If you need it badly enough, you'll stand in line for it. But, as much as I know people hate all this going on, I really hope people don't get too used to things like standing in line.

I haven't yet, there's been some things i've wanted from Home Depot lately but when I drive by there are people standing in line so I just keep on driving, it's not that important.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Instead of a cold turkey full stop at 30k, for every 1000 more you make, take a 1000$ support back so that it goes to zero at 70k.

Which is what I think you said. Even if it was 750 off for every 1000 up to 50k or something to incent folks to pursue a higher income

I would think it might better serve to allow them to keep some percentage of the extra they earn, perhaps 50%, if the goal is to incentivize work. Otherwise, if the recipient is working more or takes a different and perhaps harder job for no actual gain in resources it would seem to act as a disincentive. If the recipient made $3000 over the $30k limit but only had entitlements reduced by $1500 it would seem that it might make work more attractive for all the good capitalistic reasons - more work would translate to more wherewithal

I've also thought benefits should be tied percentagewise to work. Work full time and you get all the benefits your situation entitles you to, work 20 hrs per week and you can only get half of those benefits and get zero if you don't work at all. It is simplistic in that it doesn't take into account the truly disabled nor deal with child care issues if a single parent headed household. I don't wish to have the government on the hook for child care if employment is required, nor do I wish to perpetuate any disincentives to marry and form a 'normal' family unit from a policy of exempting single parent households from a work requirement

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

So because there's misinformation on the internet, everything stated on INGO should be taken as truth.

Got it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I did not make the claim. If I made a claim like that I would provide something, just some little thing that hinted that it is accurate, to substantiate the claim. I retain the right to have my opinion just as you do yours. I also refuse to tell you to stay out - just not my style.

I think that is a remarkable number. However I would hesitate to repeat it unverified. The onus to verify it does not lie with me though since I have never claimed that number.

Before the the internet we could have intelligent conversation on issues, and I miss that. In no way did I intend my comment to say you could not express your opinion. If all you have is doubt and ask for a link keep that weak sauce out of my bowl...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    70k?

They're also unlikely to have dependent children (ignoring for the moment grandparents raising the children of their own n'er-do-well offspring) which is a large chunk of expenses in younger families

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So because there's misinformation on the internet, everything stated on INGO should be taken as truth.

Got it.

Since several seem to be struggling with my post I will dumb it down...

If all you got is "got a link" or the emotionally friendly version "have a source", stay home...

If anyone has constructive discussion or sources that differ share and move discussion forward.

"Got a link" is just a drive by shooting without discussion, and becoming somewhat common lately...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You've made a distinction without difference, that proved the point I was making.

You made a claim that a family of four gets $70K in benefits (I show it's lower).
    You made a claim that a family of four gets cut off from all benefits with a $30K AGI (I show it's higher).

Ergo, your claim of this insurmountable gaps is not true, or at least not nearly as big as you claim it is.

EDIT: It's worth noting the poverty threshold for that family of four is about $25K.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom