Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Maybe they'll make you a moderator.

Since several seem to be struggling with my post I will dumb it down...

If all you got is "got a link" or the emotionally friendly version "have a source", stay home...

If anyone has constructive discussion or sources that differ share and move discussion forward.

"Got a link" is just a drive by shooting without discussion, and becoming somewhat common lately...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

e1272725390107a1853af696cfdf2865.jpg

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    You made a claim that a family of four gets $70K in benefits (I show it's lower).
    You made a claim that a family of four gets cut off from all benefits with a $30K AGI (I show it's higher).

Ergo, your claim of this insurmountable gaps is not true, or at least not nearly as big as you claim it is.

EDIT: It's worth noting the poverty threshold for that family of four is about $25K.

"you must spread some reputation..."

I want to thank JettaKnight for jumping in here

I went along with the claims because it basically fits my preconceived notion and memory. But he's right. The person who makes the claim should be the one who has to go back it up. If you can't, it's meaningless.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ever been called "selfish" for wanting the restrictions to ease up?

I don't know why this just occurred to me, but it appears that there are a pretty loud group of "vulnerable" people (certainly not all) who want to preserve their own ability to go to stores, carry-out, etc. to the extent allowed, and they see making everyone non-vulnerable stay locked down as the means to reduce their own risk.

I think I know who the real selfish ones are.

Truth of the matter, they would be safer if they stayed in their homes, had whatever they needed delivered, and did not venture out, even if the non-vulnerables were out and about. "But that's not fair".

Sheesh.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I don't know why this just occurred to me, but it appears that there are a pretty loud group of "vulnerable" people (certainly not all) who want to preserve their own ability to go to stores, carry-out, etc. to the extent allowed, and they see making everyone non-vulnerable stay locked down as the means to reduce their own risk.

Truth of the matter, they would be safer if they stayed in their homes, had whatever they needed delivered, and did not venture out, even if the non-vulnerables were out and about. "But that's not fair".

Sheesh.

I don't think most people on either side are selfish. That's coming from a few people who aren't listening to the other's concerns.

For example, the vulnerable can't just stay home. They need, or may need, healthcare. As long as healthcare workers and nursing home workers lack extensive testing and PPE, innocent vulnerable people doing their very best are going to get exposed.
    Edit: by way of example, one of my clients broke her knee about 3 weeks ago. She went from the ER to surgery and then to rehab. Somewhere in there she picked up the SARSCov2 virus. She died last week of Covid19. Hadn't left home until she broke her knee. That may or may not be a rare occurrence, but it's a real consideration of how we handle this pandemic.

And yes, some people think the "open up"crowd just wants to get their hair done. In truth most people care about things like the job of the hair stylist, as well as their own economic concerns.

Of course, listening to each other would solve a lot of political disagreement.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't think most people on either side are selfish. That's coming from a few people who aren't listening to the other's concerns.

For example, the vulnerable can't just stay home. They need, or may need, healthcare. As long as healthcare workers and nursing home workers lack extensive testing and PPE, innocent vulnerable people doing their very best are going to get exposed.
    Edit: by way of example, one of my clients broke her knee about 3 weeks ago. She went from the ER to surgery and then to rehab. Somewhere in there she picked up the SARSCov2 virus. She died last week of Covid19. Hadn't left home until she broke her knee. That may or may not be a rare occurrence, but it's a real consideration of how we handle this pandemic.

And yes, some people think the "open up"crowd just wants to get their hair done. In truth most people care about things like the job of the hair stylist, as well as their own economic concerns.

I agree with all that.

...but the tough truth is that it's time to start opening up, and some people will get the virus and a few of those people will die...but people will get the virus and die under the current conditions as well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I haven't yet, there's been some things i've wanted from Home Depot lately but when I drive by there are people standing in line so I just keep on driving, it's not that important.

Exact thing happened to me. I saw the line and decided what I needed wasn't needed that bad. What's clear to me, people aren't staying home much anymore. I think a lot of people are trying to spend their stimulus checks.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I’m getting pretty agitated with the carry out
    businesses that have closed their restrooms but you still go inside to order.

I run service calls all day. It would be nice to be able to wash my hands before I eat since that’s the number one way to prevent the spread of disease. But it seems like more and more places have
    decided that you cannot use their restroom.

I’m not sure what the difference is if I’m already in the store. I’ve left Multiple Subways and a Jersey mikes in the last week because they have the restroom closed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Sheesh.

I dunno. It's not just the old people and vulnerable balking about starting things up. On the news, social media, lots of younger healthier people think we should ride it out hunkered down. It's not just the old/vulnerable people who want to call the police when they see someone out jogging in the park.

That fact seems proven out often enough on social media and in the news. And, anecdotally as well. I have younger relatives, as well as most of my coworkers, who are quite health conscious. I doubt the virus would be vary dangerous for them as they don't fit the profile. They mostly think we should stay locked down. Of course a lot of people are just following their own interests, but morals often outweigh other self-interests. Or maybe it's better said that morals often are the way we prioritize our self interest. My SIL has spoken about it being a moral issue. It's immoral to go out and do things that are unnecessary. She's one of those, "if it saves just one life..." as well as "think of the....children".

Personally, I'm most likely vulnerable. I would not say poor health. But not great. Near 60. Out of shape but trying to improve. It's in my self interest not to get it. But I have other moral priorities I guess. I want things restarted because people are hurting. My coworkers think the "start it up" people are crazy. They trivialize the concerns into a nifty straw man of "I need a haircut." Oh, so you want to put us all at risk just because you want a haircut? They're using moral language to talk about the issue. It is an issue of competing morals.

I think the issue is conflicting moral ideals. Example: anti-gun zealots think gun owners are selfish because we won't give in on their "common sense gun safety" measures. Well no, selfishness doesn't explain the difference. That we don't agree on their solution explains the difference. We see that issue in a way they cannot. So it seems immoral to them. They see going out as dangerous. Risky. Too risky to care about jobs and earning a living and living life. Put all that on hold, or you're selfish. If they could see it the way the other side sees it they would not say it's putting others at risk just because you want a haircut. That's as facile as it is to say gun owners are selfish.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think a lot of people think the "open up" crowd just wants a haircut. I hear it from a lot of people. It's a popular enough theme to be a meme. I think it's not that they're just not listening. It's that they're not empathizing. They're interpreting it within their own moral framework without regarding that other people have different moral priorities, formed fromtheir own moral foundations. The language I find most common in the dispute of whether to open up or shut down sounds a lot like a moral language.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m getting pretty agitated with the carry out
    businesses that have closed their restrooms but you still go inside to order.

I run service calls all day. It would be nice to be able to wash my hands before I eat since that’s the number one way to prevent the spread of disease. But it seems like more and more places have
    decided that you cannot use their restroom.

I’m not sure what the difference is if I’m already in the store. I’ve left Multiple Subways and a Jersey mikes in the last week because they have the restroom closed.

Restrooms are also a way to spread the disease. I can't blame them I guess. But it sure would be helpful if they offered a way to clean your hands.

I was in a papa johns the other day picking up a pizza. They had a container of hand sanitizer out for people to use. That was very thoughtful and helpful, but I think they did it because they still make you sign the receipt, and they have a common pen out to use. :xmad:

But kudos for providing the hand sanitizer.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I agree with all that.

...but the tough truth is that it's time to start opening up, and some people will get the virus and a few of those people will die...but people will get the virus and die under the current conditions as well.

Probably by any measure, we've "flattened the curve". I think it's also true that the virus will burn through the people it's going to burn through regardless of whether we stay hunkered down or start to open things up. It's just a matter of now or later for a lot of people. But, if the herd immunity theory is true, I think that the "later" people would be better served by opening things up, preferably to the most capable people of handing the virus without harm. Maybe the virus burns out before it gets to those people. But, it's a hard sale to the "if it saves just one life" people. They think you just want a haircut. A coworker just told me that a few hours ago. So it's still a thing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Probably by any measure, we've "flattened the curve". I think it's also true that the virus will burn through the people it's going to burn through regardless of whether we stay hunkered down or start to open things up. It's just a matter of now or later for a lot of people. But, if the herd immunity theory is true, I think that the "later" people would be better served by opening things up, preferably to the most capable people of handing the virus without harm. Maybe the virus burns out before it gets to those people. But, it's a hard sale to the "if it saves just one life" people. They think you just want a haircut. A coworker just told me that a few hours ago. So it's still a thing.

Is your coworker...working?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    From home, yes.

Of course.

...not that I am implying that attitudes about opening up are defined by employment status.

My work has been uninterrupted, but I want to start opening up (however, my son is out of work and so far- no UE benefits).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dekumadoriya24
    Top Bottom