• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The "experts" lied and threw away a lot of their credibility for no good reason. People got fixated on N95s early on and the "experts" downplayed the value of other kinds of masks to everyone's detriment.

Serious question: Why not? It's not like you are going to catch any disease from it.

I know I can't catch anything from my own germs but I'm willing to splurge on a new mask. Covid has made me a big spender in my old age.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    IAli88q.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I know I can't catch anything from my own germs but I'm willing to splurge on a new mask. Covid has made me a big spender in my old age.

OK...
    Boogers are one thing, but I'm not putting a mask on my face with splurge on it!
    Not my splurge. Not anyone else's splurge.

I HAVE MY LIMITS! :n00b:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I don’t understand why people panic when they test a bunch of people and find out a bunch of them have it that DIDNT even know it? Seems we would be happy, that means that the death rate is much much lower.

Asymptomatic carriers are a good thing for the long run but a bad thing for the short run because exemplifies how rapidly this disease transmits. You can't protect anybody, including the vulnerable when the carriers are asymptomatic unless you have a rigorous testing protocol or if you keep everyone somewhat separated

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Asymptomatic carriers are a good thing for the long run but a bad thing for the short run because exemplifies how rapidly this disease transmits. You can't protect anybody, including the vulnerable when the carriers are asymptomatic unless you have a rigorous testing protocol or if you keep everyone somewhat separated

Yeah I get that part. It just seems people start to really freak out, even if the number of cases Requiring hospitalization are not spiking. I can’t prove it, but I absolutely believe that the number of people who have had, or currently have it and have/had mild or no symptoms is far far larger than the number of known cases. That should, at least in my mind, have the effect of calming people down since the death rate is probably also far lower. Doesn’t seem to be the case though. Just seems to me that we all know this is a serious virus, but a little more reasoned perspective would be nice.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yeah I get that part. It just seems people start to really freak out, even if the number of cases Requiring hospitalization are not spiking. I can’t prove it, but I absolutely believe that the number of people who have had, or currently have it and have/had mild or no symptoms is far far larger than the number of known cases. That should, at least in my mind, have the effect of calming people down since the death rate is probably also far lower. Doesn’t seem to be the case though. Just seems to me that we all know this is a serious virus, but a little more reasoned perspective would be nice.

I think most.. including every expert... agree the case # is far higher than # tested.

So often, that is reported with a "see i told you this is no big deal" and that's perhaps where the pushback comes from?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    • Its a bull**** order! But we’re used to being subjects now so it will be followed in lockstep. Some single parents can’t afford a babysitter.
    I was kidding. I'm not talking about single parents. I'm talking about multi-generational "clans" that all have to go to the grocery stores at once, blocking aisles and clogging up the checkout lines.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Or to be safe have 7 masks and wear one a day then start over. Or something similar.

OR

Buy one of these.

MLFdrBf.jpg

Bonus.... Social Distancing will be easier.

wsi-imageoptim-3M-Full-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-6900-Spray-Foam-Insulation-and-Coating-Safety-Equipment.png

If you wear this type at the grocery store the "sea of humans" use to part the way to stay away from one.

Not too much anymore. :(

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It works miracles on the bus. :)
    It use to have the same effect at the grocery store but alas not too much now. Granted I've only been to the store 3 times since the indiana lock down occurred and have seen some N95 users but no other respirator in use.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It works miracles on the bus. :)
    It use to have the same effect at the grocery store but alas not too much now. Granted I've only been to the store 3 times since the indiana lock down occurred and have seen some N95 users but no other respirator in use.
    I saw a respirator yesterday. Lady in her late 20's-early 30's. I figured she must be a crafter. You need those if you work with epoxy/resin.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-w...-line-and-i-say-its-time-to-start-opening-up/
    I'm seeing more news outlets publishing these types of OP-Eds. There was another from 2 California Docs.

Perhaps the striking point of reference where the crest of the peak was reached marked the point at which herd immunity in that region. NY was hit hard for various reasons, including a very high population density, and the subway system which is a perfect conduit for spreading a virus no one knows they have. Of course the downhill part of the curve was reached because of policies enacted earlier for separating people and disinfecting stuff. Eventually those mitigations would start having an impact on the numbers. But still, because so many more people were getting the disease without knowing it, and spreading it to other people even with the mitigations in place, they're building at least some herd immunity.

So then it seems to me that we do have a sort of competing strategies between social distancing and herd immunity. I think that it's way time to open things back up at least to the least risky people. I'm staying home, and fortunately I can work from home. I'm pushing 60, not in the best shape (but trying to fix that) and it's a bigger risk for me than younger people in better shape. If we keep things locked down we won't gain that layer of protection from herd immunity.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Perhaps the striking point of reference where the crest of the peak was reached marked the point at which herd immunity in that region. NY was hit hard for various reasons, including a very high population density, and the subway system which is a perfect conduit for spreading a virus no one knows they have. Of course the downhill part of the curve was reached because of policies enacted earlier for separating people and disinfecting stuff. Eventually those mitigations would start having an impact on the numbers. But still, because so many more people were getting the disease without knowing it, and spreading it to other people even with the mitigations in place, they're building at least some herd immunity.

So then it seems to me that we do have a sort of competing strategies between social distancing and herd immunity. I think that it's way time to open things back up at least to the least risky people. I'm staying home, and fortunately I can work from home. I'm pushing 60, not in the best shape (but trying to fix that) and it's a bigger risk for me than younger people in better shape. If we keep things locked down we won't gain that layer of protection from herd immunity.

I really appreciate that Indiana is doing a serologic surveillance study right now. I don't know yet how specific or sensitive their antibody test is though. That gets tricky.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom