• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If some of the "experts" are correct, and we have a "more severe" 2nd wave in the Fall/Winter, and we don't have a vaccine by that time, do we do all of this lock down again?
    I'm not an economic scholar, but I can see that being catastrophic for our economy, if we are even making a good comeback by then.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think there is a hope that therapeutics and familiarity with treatments will dampen the lethality.

I doubt they would shut down again.

But who really knows?
    If some of the "experts" are correct, and we have a "more severe" 2nd wave in the Fall/Winter, and we don't have a vaccine by that time, do we do all of this lock down again?
    I'm not an economic scholar, but I can see that being catastrophic for our economy, if we are even making a good comeback by then.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think that's one reason to open up and have the healthy out and about, getting infected and recovering. It's not a panacea, but the more widespread recovered people are, the smaller a "2nd wave" would be...in fact, there could possibly be none as infections would simply be ongoing. We need to make this thing no longer "novel". Even if there is not permanent immunity, there are big advantages to having a lot of people with anitbodies out there.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah, I forgot that important piece. Herd immunity.

They need to push the limits up closer to what hospitals can handle and let some less invasive elective stuff start happening. Nothing wrong with a LITTLE cross pollination in the hospitals.
    I think that's one reason to open up and have the healthy out and about, getting infected and recovering. It's not a panacea, but the more widespread recovered people are, the smaller a "2nd wave" would be...in fact, there could possibly be none as infections would simply be ongoing. We need to make this thing no longer "novel". Even if there is not permanent immunity, there are big advantages to having a lot of people with anitbodies out there.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Quest Diagnostics has announced they are offering an anti-body testing service. You can make an appointment online to visit one of 2,200 Nationwide test centers for a blood draw. They test for anti-bodies and you have results in 2-3 days.

Cost is about $120, which would be a worthwhile investment to find out if you've previously been infected and may have some potential level of immunity that comes with it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/que...t-to-consumer-coronavirus-antibody-tests.html

*ETA: Apparently Indiana is one of 5 states prohibited from ordering the test.

QuestDirect offers testing you can purchase for yourself in all states except Arizona, Indiana, Oklahoma, Alaska, and Hawaii, as well as Puerto Rico.

•In Indiana, Mid America Clinical Laboratories, LLC (MACL) offers testing you can purchase through SOLO™. Visit SOLO - Self-Ordered Labs Online by MACL to learn more.

*ETA2: I checked the MACL website. No mention of COVID anti-body testing on the site or on the form that details all of the tests available for self-order.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Quest Diagnostics has announced they are offering an anti-body testing service. You can make an appointment online to visit one of 2,200 Nationwide test centers for a blood draw. They test for anti-bodies and you have results in 2-3 days.

Cost is about $120, which would be a worthwhile investment to find out if you've previously been infected and may have some potential level of immunity that comes with it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/que...t-to-consumer-coronavirus-antibody-tests.html

*ETA: Apparently Indiana is one of 5 states prohibited from ordering the test.

QuestDirect offers testing you can purchase for yourself in all states except Arizona, Indiana, Oklahoma, Alaska, and Hawaii, as well as Puerto Rico.

•In Indiana, Mid America Clinical Laboratories, LLC (MACL) offers testing you can purchase through SOLO™. Visit SOLO - Self-Ordered Labs Online by MACL to learn more.

*ETA2: I checked the MACL website. No mention of COVID anti-body testing on the site or on the form that details all of the tests available for self-order.

Has anyone seen the specificity for these tests? Antibody tests can sometimes pick up antibodies for similar viruses (like the coronaviruses that cause colds) so can be very misleading. I would look carefully at some medical papers, preferably peer-reviewed before spending money or applying a decision factor.

Even with a 95% specificity, you need a large population to interpret those accurately. I'm not sure any test is yet at the point of being specific enough for a decision process for an individual.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Has anyone seen the specificity for these tests? Antibody tests can sometimes pick up antibodies for similar viruses (like the coronaviruses that cause colds) so can be very misleading. I would look carefully at some medical papers, preferably peer-reviewed before spending money or applying a decision factor.

Even with a 95% specificity, you need a large population to interpret those accurately. I'm not sure any test is yet at the point of being specific enough for a decision process for an individual.

Exactly!

I don't think I would pay for an antibody test without finding everything I could about what exactly you are getting.
    There are lots of antibody tests out there now and many of them are not good.
    The tests used for that goofy stanford "study" were from Premier Biotech and came from china. Those tests were not FDA approved and they were not even approved by the chinese version of the FDA. Those tests were so bad they were later banned from exporting from china.
    Some of the tests out there are fooled by antibodies to other corona viruses such as those found from a common cold.
    I would not trust the results of any of the antibody tests out there at this time without being tested several times and all results agreed.

This current weak testing capability should be considered along with the current unknowns. We don't know if the presence of antibodies even gives one immunity to the virus. We also don't know how long any such immunity would last even if it is initially effective.

Consider how you would use the result of such a test. What if it comes back positive, would it affect you and your behavior? What if it comes back negative, would it affect you and your behavior?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Early on in this thing we had the discussion about an article that suggested a corona virus party. This was about the time some kids were having such parties, but it was more in contempt and disbelief than making it an actual strategy. I agreed with it if we could know who might get through it without harm. Having a lot of people out there immune to it would be a good thing, and keep it from spreading to those of us who might have problems with it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Early on in this thing we had the discussion about an article that suggested a corona virus party. This was about the time some kids were having such parties, but it was more in contempt and disbelief than making it an actual strategy. I agreed with it if we could know who might get through it without harm. Having a lot of people out there immune to it would be a good thing, and keep it from spreading to those of us who might have problems with it.

I was never in favor of a "party" strategy as it would have a tendency to result in "hot spots" in specific communities. Optimally, the spread would continue at a rate such that hospitals are not overwhelmed in any one place which, so far, has largely been the case.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My work is continuing our telework indefinitely. Works for me! :yesway:

My employer has pretty much always been remote-friendly. I've been straddling WFH for several years, but was classified as an "in-office" employee. For those who can do their work remotely, which is nearly all of us, it's more a matter of choice. I think now I'll look to be classified as remote. I can still go into the office every now and again once things are closer to normal.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was never in favor of a "party" strategy as it would have a tendency to result in "hot spots" in specific communities. Optimally, the spread would continue at a rate such that hospitals are not overwhelmed in any one place which, so far, has largely been the case.

The key is the stipulation I would put on it. Only if we could accurately predict who wouldn't be harmed by the virus. It's been reported that as many as 50% of the people who get it experience no symptoms. Okay. So if we could know who those people are, let them have at it. I'll sit that one out.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

The party strategy is fine if all the participants are knowing and willing to be part of it - AND - they do not spread the virus to any unwilling individuals like their parents, grandparents, neighbors, people in stores with them and anybody else they run into. These interactions are inevitable - in other words they only real winner is the virus.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well... The good news is my employer called today and said we’d be going back next week...at half-time. I’ll be one of those taking a pay cut to go back to work.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Well... The good news is my employer called today and said we’d be going back next week...at half-time. I’ll be one of those taking a pay cut to go back to work.
    Sorry to hear that. I don’t understand the reasoning for going back “halfway”. You’re exposing yourself to coworkers already, it isn’t like being exposed to them “half the time” will make you “half as likely” to catch it if they bring it in.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    A paycut from what you are getting to stay at home or a paycut from what you made before the crisis?

Either way it sucks but I get curious about the wierdest things.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Doesn't seem quite right does it? You want to go back to work? Okay, but we're cutting your pay. Want to go on unemployment? Great! You get a raise! :scratch:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A paycut from what you are getting to stay at home or a paycut from what you made before the crisis?

Either way it sucks but I get curious about the wierdest things.

I’ll be getting less money by going back to work than I would by sitting here and playing on INGO and FB all day. (We’re only going back to work 1/2 the time we were at before this all started).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom