• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    In in the interest of accuracy, there are many cases of the early ones ejecting the magazines NOT DUE to operator error.
    Take the time to research it, don't just take my word for it.

My case is one of them, but just with one brand/type of cartridge.
    All others worked fine.
    I didn't hit the magazine release ever when firing my pistol.
    AND the fact that S&W did do some tweaks to this pistol to address it's early problems pretty much shows that.
    I get that the earlier ones had the mag feeding problems but as with many other early production products they usually get resolved and I get that leaves a bad taste for most of us. Smith and Wesson is one of those manufacturers for me for reasons I really don’t completely remember. However I’ve shot a few of the m&ps and my wife has a shield plus 9 and ,well my previous experiences and opinions are starting to change. I have done a lot of research read countless articles probably thousands of videos and what I’m starting to see is the issues seem to mostly have been resolved in the past year or so. Which would suggest to me if I’m going to buy one I need to buy brand new and made after 2023.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I get that the earlier ones had the mag feeding problems but as with many other early production products they usually get resolved and I get that leaves a bad taste for most of us. Smith and Wesson is one of those manufacturers for me for reasons I really don’t completely remember. However I’ve shot a few of the m&ps and my wife has a shield plus 9 and ,well my previous experiences and opinions are starting to change. I have done a lot of research read countless articles probably thousands of videos and what I’m starting to see is the issues seem to mostly have been resolved in the past year or so. Which would suggest to me if I’m going to buy one I need to buy brand new and made after 2023.
    Yes, definitely.
    In my case, I've been trying to tweak mine going by the experience of others.

I've replaced the extractor with an Apex Failure Resistant Extractor, which alone didn't help.
    I then added Springer Precision magazine springs.
    I also loaded the magazine so that the 200 grain hard cast rounds weren't loaded down in the magazine enough for the wide front bullet to hit the magazine catch.
    IN THIS test, it made it to what was to be the third shot, where it GENTLY pushed the magazine out about 1/2 inch.
    I squeezed the trigger and nothing.
    Found that it didn't strip off a new round and chamber it.

MY NEXT step was to order some Springer Precision recoil springs in 20, 22, and 24 pounds with a non captive shaft, which are on the way.

Which I ordered because some people who sent theirs back to S&W said when the pistol was returned, the recoil spring was noticeably stronger.
    BUT I'm not able to find out exactly how much stronger the new OEM spring is, so I ordered the 20, 22, 24 ones.

SO definitely I believe the early ones had some issues, and I'm hoping to sort them out, because I DON'T want to sell this pistol and stick somebody else with it.

jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    Yes, definitely.

I've replaced the extractor with an Apex Failure Resistant Extractor, which alone didn't help.
    I also loaded the magazine so that the 200 grain hard cast rounds weren't loaded down in the magazine enough for the wide front bullet to hit the magazine catch.
    IN THIS test, it made it to what was to be the third shot, where it GENTLY pushed the magazine out about 1/2 inch.

MY NEXT step was to order some Springer Precision recoil springs in 20, 22, and 24 pounds with a non captive shaft, which are on the way.

Which I ordered because some people who sent theirs back to S&W said when the pistol was returned, the recoil spring was noticeably stronger.
    BUT I'm not able to find out exactly how much stronger the new OEM spring is, so I ordered the 20, 22, 24 ones.

SO definitely I believe the early ones had some issues, and I'm hoping to sort them out, because I DON'T want to sell this pistol and stick somebody else with it.
    I wish I could remember where I read it or saw it on a video or maybe both but I believe someone had said that they bought two brand new smith & Wesson mags and that solved their issues.
    If I’m not mistaken the new mags have the heavier springs and different follower along with a slightly different shape at the top. I THINK!!

jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    I wish I could remember where I read it or saw it on a video or maybe both but I believe someone had said that they bought two brand new smith & Wesson mags and that solved their issues.
    If I’m not mistaken the new mags have the heavier springs and different follower along with a slightly different shape at the top. I THINK!!
    Actually I saw here it’s the first reply on this post and i saw someone on you tube talking about it too.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had heard some tweaks were done to the magazines.
    And a stronger spring was part of it.
    It would make sense if they tweaked the followers too.
    I had thought of buying a couple more new magazines to see what is different.
    I was just afraid I'd get old stock ones.

jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    I couldn’t say for 100% but I would think that if you were able to find them they would be the newer ones because I believe I read they were out of stock everywhere and the best bet was to order from Smith&Wesson

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Has anyone bought the m&p 10mm recently? I curious if they have fixed the feeling issues some people have experienced.
    I purchased the M&P 2.0 10mm earlier in 2024. No issues with feeding. I did change the trigger to the Alpha Competition Series (Timney Triggers).
    So far, I am very pleased with the results. No cycle issues with any of the ammo I have run (target loads all the way up to hard cast bear loads).

I did research and found the M&P had issues with springs so I upgraded all my magazines with new springs.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, definitely.

SO definitely I believe the early ones had some issues, and I'm hoping to sort them out, because I DON'T want to sell this pistol and stick somebody else wit

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To add to the experience with my M&P 10mm 4.6" I bought new in March of 2022, I just TODAY got in two of the current 15 round magazines, mostly to see how they've been "tweaked" since the ones from early 2022.

I took one apart to see if the follower had been changed, and it appears to be the same as the early 2022 ones.
    The magazine body seems also to be the same.
    SO if there is any differences, from the old and new follower and old and new magazine body, they're minute and not visible to the naked eye.
    THE ONLY difference I notice is the newer ones seem to have a stronger magazine spring.

When I compared a new one I got today with one of the early 2022 magazines that I had upgraded the magazine spring with the stronger Springer Precision springs, the new magazines I got today feel as strong as the Springer ones now.

SO from my initial magazine inspection, S&W seems to have just changed over to stronger magazine springs.

LASTLY, some people who sent their early M&P 10mm's in for warranty, mentioned that the recoil spring seemed stronger when they got it back.

So a few days ago I got in some Springer Precision recoil springs in 20#, 22#, and 24#, along with the rod.
    I installed the 22# and will be testing it soon, with the new magazines and see if they'll fire the DoubleTap 200 grain hard cast with the wide bullet without jamming or ejecting the magazine.

Last edited:

jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    Well I finally pulled the trigger I decided on the 4” and bought one. I’ll give ya my honest initial thoughts.
    I love the way it feels in my hand
    For me it has a very natural point. I didn’t feel like I had to find the sights. I wasn’t sure about the higher sights till I shot it. They are not my favorite but they will serve me well. Fit and finish is nice and seems durable.
    As for the first 100 rounds honestly not a hitch after the first 20ish groups pulled in to about 2” groups I was using a rolled up shirt off the porch railing at my 15 yard mark. Off hand at 10 yards was a bit bigger with my best group pushing 3”. I’m sure it’s just me but in my defense I’ve been shooting wheel guns a lot lately.
    The trigger well I really want to like it and it is getting better definitely smoother after 50 rounds. It’s kinda like it has two walls for lack of a better way of describing it but like I said it is getting better I can see an apex in my future but for now it is very usable and I do think it will continue to get better.
    I ran 50 factory loaded 180 round nose and 50 180 hot loaded flat nose (a friend made for my 1911)without any problems. My m&p 2.0 10mm was made 5/2023. Overall I’m very happy with it. It’s not a high end custom made fire arm and it’s not a yeet cannon but for a $400 to $1000 price range it is a great option.

Now I need to get a holster which is becoming a challenge and I believe I’m going to put a Holosun 407c on top and maybe going to get a crossbreed to put it in??? Thoughts

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      530.6 KB · Views: 6

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Rouzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Madison
    They put too light recoil spring in it. I got a tungsten full length guide rod but can’t find a spring to work for it. Need 20 lbs or 22 lbs. it’s a 4”; that’s the thing

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They put too light recoil spring in it. I got a tungsten full length guide rod but can’t find a spring to work for it. Need 20 lbs or 22 lbs. it’s a 4”; that’s the thing
    Have you checked this one?
    It appears to fit the 4", but don't take my word for it without checking with them.
    One of the questions claims it does fit the 4" though.

ALSO, it appears they will sell just the springs too.
    Question says it fits the 4" 10mm, but don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

Rouzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Madison
    Have you checked this one?
    It appears to fit the 4", but don't take my word for it without checking with them.
    One of the questions claims it does fit the 4" though.

ALSO, it appears they will sell just the springs too.
    Question says it fits the 4" 10mm, but don't take my word for it.

They appear to be flat spring, and the inside diameter is not intended for full length uncaptured rod. They are intended for captured rods. I’m pretty sure. For a couple reasons, I highly prefer Uncaptured full length Guide rods it doesn’t have to be tungsten. Stainless steel will work, tungsten would help this lightweight pistol we are talking about. Especially if you want to shoot 180 gr at 1250-1300 fps. Or 165 gr at 1400. The installation of Glock 20 20lb spring onto the 4” captured assembly will put you in business though, just won’t be silky smooth as uncaptured.

Top Bottom