• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    More testing is the province of those looking for reasons to lockdown. It has been proven here many times we do not know the numerator nor denominator so how can we know the answer? Let the people decide. If you want to lockdown do it, but do not impose that on those that want to get moving. Free country free choice...
    My body, my choice!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Then they better update their Facebook page. They have been pretty upfront and informative on their webpage, and even posted a couple weeks ago about the planned date to reopen on today.
    I'm only repeating what was posted by a Lowell resident on the Lowell FB page. Assuming it to be truth.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm only repeating what was posted by a Lowell resident on the Lowell FB page. Assuming it to be truth.

I am a member of both the Plainfield Town Chatter and the Avon Town Chatter FB groups. I would never take anything said on either one at face value.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am a member of both the Plainfield Town Chatter and the Avon Town Chatter FB groups. I would never take anything said on either one at face value.
    The Lowell group is a pretty solid group of citizens. I have no reason to question that particular piece of information, especially since the restaurant just re-opened today.

But damn, those people lose a lot of dogs. Same ones over and over.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Thinking a simple mask will prevent anything airborne is like thinking you can drain the ocean with a tea strainer. It gives you the feeling you are 'doing something' but in the end has no effect on the outcome.

A mask in the absence of sterile technique is just something for others to look at...
    Doubting that a mask can prevent anything airborne is the same as saying it prevents nothing. Do you really believe that? I think this is a mistake related to binary thinking. Masks won’t stop everything, but they will stop some things. The idea is that what they will stop reduces the likelihood of you inhaling that airborne virus, or if it’s you who has it, makes it less likely it’s gonna infect someone else. It’s better if they’re N-95 masks. It’s better if you can have perfect technique. But even if it’s cloth, and your technique isn’t as good as it could be, it still can help. It’s not that it either works 100% or it works 0%. There are other numbers between 0 and 100 on the table. Even if it’s only 20% effective, that’s 20% fewer people that didn’t get it when they would have.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm with Snapdragon. I listened to the presser in question (and many others). He's a classic Dunning Kruger. He has no idea how off base he is.

and today he calls it "sarcasm" which is particularly awkward for the supporters who were trying to claim he was on to some innovative ideas.

I was never a Trump voter but I wasn't a Trump hater (disliked Hillary more, tbh)

What I see now is a conman who cannot con his way through a pandemic. The virus isn't buying it.

And I see the US got caught scarcely better prepared than a third world country. THAT's why we are hunkering down so long because we still don't have testing ramped up enough to present a better alternative.
    I know the conversation has probably moved on from here but I don’t think the last paragraph is quite a fair depiction. It seems like you’re saying that our lack of preparedness has to do with the lack of testing per capita. While I think per-capita is the right way to measure the virus’s impact on a nation, at least it’s more meaningful than case death rates, it’s not fair to measure tests made available for consumption per capita, because a nation’s population size is not proportional to its ability to make tests.

Early on there were some reports that the CDC rejected tests from China, I guess because they did not trust those tests. So then new tests had to be developed, and manufactured, and delivered. It may have been a mistake to reject the tests that were offered. But, there was also a lot of information that the tests weren’t very accurate. Then again, the ones we have now don’t seem to be all that accurate either. But either way, if it’s lack of accurate testing that’s keeping us locked down, it’s not apparent that there was a better course available that we did not take.

If you have some specific complaints about actions you know should have been taken, and that the need to take those actions were apparent and reasonable given all the information available at the time, I’m open to hearing it.

I have a family member who is blaming everything on Trump. Everything. That the virus came over here, that it’s impacted us to the extent that it has. That we had to lock down in the first place (but since we have to be, she thinks we should stay locked down indefinitely until the risk has past). She thinks Trump knew about this from the start. Everything. And didn’t do anything about it because it would ruin his economic numbers. I hope you see the absurdity of all that.

I don’t think we’re locked down because we don’t have testing. Yes, it would be helpful to have accurate testing to figure out what the real statistics are. But we have enough stats to figure out who can open up and who cant. NYC? No. The Eastern Seaboard has nearly half the cases and deaths. Most of the rest of the country doesn’t have that problem. Starting to open things up strategically, even without as many accurate tests as we need, seems appropriate.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m running a China Flu carry out over in the 2020 Grilling and BBQ, thread. Totally social distanced, and if you’d like, I’ll inject pour 126 proof Bourbon over your food to make it safe? May have a few ounces of 151 rum, or 180 eEverclear left if 126 doesn’t sanitize to your fears? If you just want to support and not eat, I’ve got a few gallons of 91% isopropyl too, your sauce of choice, no extra charge.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    From the "History Code:"
    Similar to the coronavirus, the Spanish Flu spread fast.
    It is estimated that around 27% of the world’s population (1.8B-1.9B at the time) got infected by the Flu.
    It is difficult to get accurate numbers, and the estimates vary widely, but it is thought to have killed anywhere from 50 million up to 100 million people.
    That total is greater than the number of soldiers that lost their lives during world war one.

Around 500,000 US citizens lost their lives to this Flu, interestingly enough, impacting those ages 20-40 the most.
    For a statistical comparison in 1917, the life expectancy was 51 years; in 1918, it had tumbled all the way down to 39 years.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I just found out a friend of mine now has it. Went to hospital with a kidney infection, tested + for China Flu. Was scheduled to leave and go to PT for recuperation. Something changed, he’s now on a vent? He’s later in years, 60+, and a former smoker, I wish him the best. And no, I’ve had ZERO contact with him, or anyone he’s around.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just found out a friend of mine now has it. Went to hospital with a kidney infection, tested + for China Flu. Was scheduled to leave and go to PT for recuperation. Something changed, he’s now on a vent? He’s later in years, 60+, and a former smoker, I wish him the best. And no, I’ve had ZERO contact with him, or anyone he’s around.
    Hope you're friend pulls through.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom