• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I voted for and contributed to Trump's campaign in 2016. I wear my MAGA hat around, but mine's white so it don't get noticed.

As I've said before, I like his frankness and willingness to question the status quo. He may be a good CEO but I wouldn't say great. These pressers are what I would point to as why. A great CEO would treat these pressers as an earnings conference call. Leave speculation for helicopter or impromptu pressers.

I listened/watched most of them for the first few weeks but then they got repetitive. I supported his suggestion in quinine and fauci was on point when he said DJT is trying to be positive especially in his role as President.

However this latest speculation is over the line for me. He needs to cut these pressers short because if he keeps up this line, he just looks stupid. There is a difference in how he handled the quinine vs this.

Keep the speculative stuff to twitter and helicoper pressers.

Then you definitely want a milquetoast leader, not a guy that has ideas. A great CEO can challenge those hired to explain themselves and challenge them to answer the questions of common sense types. The guy clearly wants to find solutions that the team is not ready to explain. If it was easy there would be "experts" that had all the correct answers, they clearly do not. Their models have failed miserably so. How many times are you going to invest with those demonstrably wrong? He wants answers and is willing to brainstorm in public. What transparency!

I guess we could have someone that just parroted the so called experts...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One more time...

Trump is not perfect.Heck, maybe he isn't even good...but where would we be if Hiliary had been elected?
    We'd have had three years of open borders, there would have been no restriction on immigration, current US deaths would be between 1.2 to 2 million.

It isn't that Trump is so good; it's that the other choices are so bad.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    your preconceived notions are what causes you to disagree with other people's preconceived notions.
    That's pretty vague

I'm sure we all have our biases. I did not come in this with a bias to Trump. I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 but was relieved that Trump beat Hillary (kayaking in liberal tears and all that). It's his handling of this pandemic that has been my big disappointment in him. It's proven just how dangerous he is as a leader, and how much difference it makes that he is president vs someone of better character.

Heck just someone with basic leadership skills right now would be 1000x better. Pence (with his far right religious views) is further from my politics than Trump, but I would much rather have him in charge right now. And I base that on what Trump is doing.

His minimization of this pandemic in the beginning is part of the reason we are in a deep hole right now. The other part (economic part) is much more complex and I'll personally blame that on decades of bad decisions, and the realities of politics.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If anyone wants to talk solutions, here's an example. We need more testing. Arguing over when to get out doesn't help IMO because I suspect (and in this regard an opinion admittedly) that rapid case growth and deaths will have more dire economic results than the shutdowns

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1253880780830326786

More testing is the province of those looking for reasons to lockdown. It has been proven here many times we do not know the numerator nor denominator so how can we know the answer? Let the people decide. If you want to lockdown do it, but do not impose that on those that want to get moving. Free country free choice...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Oh yes, the can't we all just get along...

The bigger picture is vastly different depending on the view of the individual...

That's cynical and I would argue short-sighted.

Disagreement and debate can be healthy

In wartime, countries typically pull together and have less partisanship.

This is a war on a virus. We don't even need to be at battle with other countries, and yet this war on a virus is divided by Republican and Democrat views. It's not normal for a crisis and it's a glaring indicator of unhealthy division.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    More testing is the province of those looking for reasons to lockdown. It has been proven here many times we do not know the numerator nor denominator so how can we know the answer? Let the people decide. If you want to lockdown do it, but do not impose that on those that want to get moving. Free country free choice...

Did you read the thread? This isn't about wanting lockdown. it's about testing and tracing being a rational solution.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If anyone wants to talk solutions, here's an example. We need more testing. Arguing over when to get out doesn't help IMO because I suspect (and in this regard an opinion admittedly) that rapid case growth and deaths will have more dire economic results than the shutdowns

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1253880780830326786
    I think and have thought for a long time that testing is stupid. You can get tested and get infected 10 minutes later.
    Useless.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I think and have thought for a long time that testing is stupid. You can get tested and get infected 10 minutes later.
    Useless.

It's about testing and tracing contacts. That's how epidemics are handled. The other options are lockdown or letting the virus run loose. This is particularly true with a disease with a high rate of asymptomatic carriers.

If you test negative but have been exposed to someone infected, you self isolate for a while. Rather than everyone self isolating

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I thought this article was really good reading about the Spanish Flu of 1917-18.
    Someone's probably already posted it.
    Easy to ready with how it's laid out.

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence?

fbclid=IwAR1H2c0gL8aoNtRCUuK1KP4GaVkjJ2fBGW97sSkKidSRZak7HZGdW_8nLyghttps://www.history.com/news/spanis...RCUuK1KP4GaVkjJ2fBGW97sSkKidSRZak7HZGdW_8nLyg

It stated the first strain of the Spanish flu wasn’t particularly deadly.
    Then it came back in the fall with a vengeance.
    The "2nd wave" that everyone is talking about really played out with the Spanish Flu pandemic.
    It was refreshing reading the facts about this World-Wide sweeping virus w/o all the political agendas.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's pretty vague

I'm sure we all have our biases. I did not come in this with a bias to Trump. I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 but was relieved that Trump beat Hillary (kayaking in liberal tears and all that). It's his handling of this pandemic that has been my big disappointment in him. It's proven just how dangerous he is as a leader, and how much difference it makes that he is president vs someone of better character.

Heck just someone with basic leadership skills right now would be 1000x better. Pence (with his far right religious views) is further from my politics than Trump, but I would much rather have him in charge right now. And I base that on what Trump is doing.

His minimization of this pandemic in the beginning is part of the reason we are in a deep hole right now. The other part (economic part) is much more complex and I'll personally blame that on decades of bad decisions, and the realities of politics.

So we see your predilections, apparently you have never been against it where all the choices are bad. Your vote for Johnson indicated your dislike for Trump, so you are not the independent arbitrator you claim. So just own it...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's about testing and tracing contacts. That's how epidemics are handled. The other options are lockdown or letting the virus run loose. This is particularly true with a disease with a high rate of asymptomatic carriers.

If you test negative but have been exposed to someone infected, you self isolate for a while. Rather than everyone self isolating
    We are way past that phase. Way past.
    We need to be testing to see how many people have antibodies. Then we will see the real numbers and how low the death rate is for this.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We need to be testing to see how many people have antibodies. Then we will see the real numbers and how low the death rate is for this.

Antibody testing can (theoretically) be part of the solution if there is an antibody test with high specificity. With all of them rolling out, I haven't seen yet if any of them have that.

Either way, that doesn't change the underlying point that without adequate testing available, we are right back where we started if we have a low% infected.

I was pleased to hear Indiana's announcement of surveillance testing (both antigen and antibody) starting this weekend.

From what I can tell, Holcomb is being transparent and doing a decent job with a difficult situation.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Yeah listening to Rogan's podcast today, talking about testing. UCLA study says there's a very small rate of mortality... early antibody testing, more people being tested... far more have had it and survived. They thought it was like 20k, and it ends up being 400k... much lower fatality rate. Still very dangerous, obviously, but not as dangerous as the worst case scenario.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom