Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It was about trying to bike more, wasn't it?
    No. Actually that part is true. Went out the last couple of days. The purple was that I was goint to ride it through the car wash unprotected. Always wear a raincoat when riding your bike through the carwash.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have no idea. This is why each new "loosening" should be phased in, with at least 2 week increments.

However, while the infection continues to spread, I think it would be a mistake to assume that everyone is complying with the rules. Is the continued spread a product of SIP not being adequate, or with inadequate compliance? If the latter, there is no real way to increase compliance and with some reopening, the new infection rate will be increased less than it would have if everyone was compliant (because people are already operating in a "reopened" fashion).

Also, if we had a better idea of the conditions under which new infections are occurring with SIP, that would be helpful. For instance (and I heave a big sigh even mentioning this) I get the news from Chicago here. While I have not kept abreast of all of the numbers, it seems like Chicago is not yet seeing a significant decrease in new cases and deaths. However, I keep hearing about how the disease disproportionately effects lower socio-economic classes (I will leave race completely out of this). Some of the reasons are obvious- population density, use of public transportation, inability to access home-delivery rather than going to stores, etc.- however, things like apathy, refusal or inability to follow rules/recommendations, have a strong positive correlation with being in a lower socio-economic class. All of these things contribute to continued spread even with a SIP order in effect....because of a lack of compliance.

Of course, there is also the problem with a 14 days period when people may be getting infected and many asymptomatic people. So we have been under a SIP order for over a month. Second and third "generations" of spread are still going on from pre-SIP exposure.

As an aside, up here is combination suburban/rural Porter County, we have 217 cases, 15 in the hospital and 6 deaths. There were about 40 of which were in the last week....and that sounds like the problem is out of control even under SIP...until you understand that almost all of those "new" cases are from the jail and that none of the jail cases is in the hospital. Again, it is still spreading, but not as fast and where it is still spreading is pretty important.
    I had a really busy day today. Had to go to the grocery store. Had to go to Home Despot. Plus some other errands around hither and yon. Traffic was heavy. Grocery store was extraordinarily busy. Parking lot overflowing. Home Despot was so busy there was a line waiting to get in because max number in store was exceeded. Parking lot was also full. I didn’t bother parking. Skipped the Home Despot. Everywhere I went was crowded. A lot of people had masks on. But most did not. People did not stay 6 feet from other people. It was pretty evident people were not practicing social distancing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't imagine drug addiction is a positive thing when it comes to covid, but I haven't heard it mentioned in media.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Given the huge amount of sodium in one can, you would be far better off to make your own soup (unless hypertension turns out to be a cure) :)

Keep buying that soup.
    D&I steel is used in those cans, and it's also most of what we're making.
    For some reason, there isn't much call for most of the automotive grades.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had a really busy day today. Had to go to the grocery store. Had to go to Home Despot. Plus some other errands around hither and yon. Traffic was heavy. Grocery store was extraordinarily busy. Parking lot overflowing. Home Despot was so busy there was a line waiting to get in because max number in store was exceeded. Parking lot was also full. I didn’t bother parking. Skipped the Home Despot. Everywhere I went was crowded. A lot of people had masks on. But most did not. People did not stay 6 feet from other people. It was pretty evident people were not practicing social distancing.
    I've completely forgot the 6 foot thing. I'm just not used to it. I dont like to get right up on people anyways but I'm certainly not staying 6'away from everyone when I've went out. I'm not doing it intentionally, it's just not normal for me. I wear a mask so I'm not putting germs on people anyways but if I've offended or scared someone when I've went out by getting within that 6' bubble it wasn't on purpose.
    I'm going to try to make a mental note to look out and observe it the next time I go out.
    Even if I think it is stupid now, I'll play the game. I just want them to ope. This up and start showing people this is all bs.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One of my uncles is a reefer trucker.
    Said his company said no more hiring if anyone quits or is fired.
    Tomorrow they will have 60 trucks with no loads.

Hard to move stuff if there's nothing to move.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    After reading on here from you and others, that his comments were clearly directed at the doctors and clearly in context something they might investigate, I am now reading in the news that Trump said he was being sarcastic, directing his comments to reporters, to see what the media would do.

I didn't watch or listen today so did he really say that? If so did he really mean it?

On all those points, I agree with you. But it's even more basic than that. His comments were a) clearly directed at the doctors on the podium, and b) clearly in the context of things that they - the doctors - might consider investigating. The assertion that his comments can reasonably be interpreted as a directive, suggestion, or implication for any person to inject himself with isopropyl alcohol is utterly absurd.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    After reading on here from you and others, that his comments were clearly directed at the doctors and clearly in context something they might investigate, I am now reading in the news that Trump said he was being sarcastic, directing his comments to reporters, to see what the media would do.

I didn't watch or listen today so did he really say that? If so did he really mean it?

Please go watch it and report back what you heard...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    nah, I trust you guys to tell me what he said. I listen or watch them live, but if I am busy when they are on, I don't go back. That's why I rely on folks like you! Did you watch it?

I am watching the NFL draft right now

and I have Friday Night Smackdown on the DVR to watch after that.
    Please go watch it and report back what you heard...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't imagine drug addiction is a positive thing when it comes to covid, but I haven't heard it mentioned in media.

Well, the drug dealers across the street don't SIP.

They're always on the move, or just sitting in cars getting high - but never alone. They move from car to car... taking any virus with them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    nah, I trust you guys to tell me what he said. I listen or watch them live, but if I am busy when they are on, I don't go back. That's why I rely on folks like you! Did you watch it?

I am watching the NFL draft right now

and I have Friday Night Smackdown on the DVR to watch after that.

I am normally a huge NFL fan, but struggling to get in to it in far from normal times.

Did watch it. Trump reminds me of a common sense kind of guy, not unlike myself, an outspoken kind that can think out loud about what they have been told and ask those with actual knowledge if they checked the horse sense kind of things, even if they have no particular expertise in the subject. Over the years I have solved many situations that those with expertise had overlooked because they were so enraptured with the technical they missed the obvious...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I listened and I still think he's a ****ing idiot.
    I'm with Snapdragon. I listened to the presser in question (and many others). He's a classic Dunning Kruger. He has no idea how off base he is.

and today he calls it "sarcasm" which is particularly awkward for the supporters who were trying to claim he was on to some innovative ideas.

I was never a Trump voter but I wasn't a Trump hater (disliked Hillary more, tbh)

What I see now is a conman who cannot con his way through a pandemic. The virus isn't buying it.

And I see the US got caught scarcely better prepared than a third world country. THAT's why we are hunkering down so long because we still don't have testing ramped up enough to present a better alternative.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm with Snapdragon. I listened to the presser in question (and many others). He's a classic Dunning Kruger. He has no idea how off base he is.

and today he calls it "sarcasm" which is particularly awkward for the supporters who were trying to claim he was on to some innovative ideas.

I was never a Trump voter but I wasn't a Trump hater

What I see now is a conman who cannot con his way through a pandemic. The virus isn't buying it.

And I see the US got caught scarcely better prepared than a third world country. THAT's why we are hunkering down so long because we still don't have testing ramped up enough to present a better alternative.

Then you definitely want a milquetoast leader, not a guy that has ideas. A great CEO can challenge those hired to explain themselves and challenge them to answer the questions of common sense types. The guy clearly wants to find solutions that the team is not ready to explain. If it was easy there would be "experts" that had all the correct answers, they clearly do not. Their models have failed miserably so. How many times are you going to invest with those demonstrably wrong? He wants answers and is willing to brainstorm in public. What transparency!

I guess we could have someone that just parroted the so called experts...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Then you definitely want a milquetoast leader, not a guy that has ideas. A great CEO can challenge those hired to explain themselves and challenge them to answer the questions of common sense types. The guy clearly wants to find solutions that the team is not ready to explain. If it was easy there would be "experts" that had all the correct answers, they clearly do not. Their models have failed miserably so. How many times are you going to invest with those demonstrably wrong? He wants answers and is willing to brainstorm in public. What transparency!

I guess we could have someone that just parroted the so called experts...

Your interpretation is clearly different than mine.

And this pandemic is so politicized that it's dividing us at a time we should be working together.

A good leader would be working with the experts, not making it more difficult to utilize their recommendations.

To be clear: he's not a great CEO. He's not even a decent human.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

And this pandemic is so politicized that it's dividing us at a time we should be working together.

A good leader would be working with the experts, not making it more difficult to utilize their recommendations.

I'm really going to love voting for him again

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

And there you have it, clearly he is doing what your preconceived notions are, just as he is mine...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom