Not open for further replies.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for posting this and everything that preceded it. The Australian Prime Minister‘s speech was concise and well organized. I don’t have context so I don’t know if there is a screaming press corps in front of him like there was for DJ T earlier tonight but I doubt it. I don’t agree with everything Australia’s doing government-wise but they seem serious enough here.

i’m really sick and tired of all the politicization I see here in the USA. Damn straight the Democrats are politicizing it but I can see how they feel the current administration is doing the same. I don’t want to hear anybody stand up there and pat themselves on the back for what’s happened so far. I want to know how they are looking to the future. And between Rush Limbaugh And President Trump, two people I’ve put a lot of trust in, I’m not impressed as of now.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well if Italy is closer to reality than China we are looking at a near 50% hospitalization rate.He tries to make this sound like a good thing.
    The problem. The WHO has been claiming for 6 weeks now that rate is only at 20%.
    You can look up articles,as the numbers very rapidly change but so far in Italy right at 50% of positive found cases need a hospital bed.
    [h=3]Borrelli, at 50% positive, no hospital care is needed[/h]"Over half the positives don't need hospital treatment." This was said by Commissioner Angelo Borrelli in the press conference at the Civil Protection

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2...n_italia_aggiornamento_ora_per_ora-249241616/

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I'm certain most following this thread already know this. The masks are gone.

A worker at Home Depot told me folks from the local college came in and bought up all the disposable masks and were sending them to China.

Lots of angles for WTF here. Maybe they thought if they can fight it over there it would be better than fighting it here? Uh-oh, too late!

A little while later a lone person came in and took every single half-mask respirator and filter cartridge. He filled up his cart, paid and left the store. The employees were a little stunned because he pretty much just wiped the shelf into his cart and left.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County

A worker at Home Depot told me folks from the local college came in and bought up all the disposable masks and were sending them to China.

Lots of angles for WTF here. Maybe they thought if they can fight it over there it would be better than fighting it here? Uh-oh, too late!

A little while later a lone person came in and took every single half-mask respirator and filter cartridge. He filled up his cart, paid and left the store. The employees were a little stunned because he pretty much just wiped the shelf into his cart and left.

Aren't the biggest manufacturers of disposable masks in Asia. Should have bought stock in masks.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just had a really disturbing thought… Maybe the people getting sick early are the lucky ones, while there’s still space in the hospitals for them...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I just had a really disturbing thought… Maybe the people getting sick early are the lucky ones, while there’s still space in the hospitals for them...

I've thought about that. Yes and no.

When there are fewer cases, those people will have easier access to limited resources- ventilators, etc.
    When the infected population expands (which means it is later in the cycle), people will have learned more about how to better handle and treat the disease. This means that more people will survive without extreme measures.

Wuhan is an example of this. The death rate there is much higher than the rest of China because they were dealing with it first. Far more medical personnel have died there than other areas because they dove in to fight it without understanding as much as we do now.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011

This has been one of my thoughts for the past week or so. Hospitals are already stretched thin as is due to the flu virus. They will not be able to handle the influx of coronavirus patients when it hits. The people who get infected first will receive the best care as there will be capacity to handle it initially.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wonder how this will impact the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400?
    There's plenty of time to figure that out.

The next 30-45 days are key. Spring breaks are going to happen and people will be moving around. If the outbreak stays at this low-simmer type level, then no big deal (IMHO).

If we start seeing multiple clusters with no obvious contagious person, and start seeing some deaths domestically, then yeah - ****'s gonna get real.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If we have a case in northern Cali that was just caught in the wild, that means it is out and on the loose. It is coming.
    I thought i heard on the Today Show this morning that they are now recommending stocking up on diapers, bottled water, etc for 30 days supply.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If we have a case in northern Cali that was just caught in the wild, that means it is out and on the loose. It is coming.
    I thought i heard on the Today Show this morning that they are now recommending stocking up on diapers, bottled water, etc for 30 days supply.
    I'm a little skeptical of this. They're focusing on the fact that this person had no direct contact with someone that had traveled to China, but since people can be asymptomatic and still be contagious, how do they know that? Or maybe they didn't have direct contact, but maybe they came into contact with someone else (asymptomatic) that had contact with someone else (also asymptomatic) that did travel abroad. I just don't see this being as significant as they're making it out to be.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm a little skeptical of this. They're focusing on the fact that this person had no direct contact with someone that had traveled to China, but since people can be asymptomatic and still be contagious, how do they know that? Or maybe they didn't have direct contact, but maybe they came into contact with someone else (asymptomatic) that had contact with someone else (also asymptomatic) that did travel abroad. I just don't see this being as significant as they're making it out to be.

Concur.

This virus remains dangerous for a long time out in the open (days, not just hours). If the NoCal patient turned the same doorknob as an infected person and didn't wash their hands, then they could've gotten sick.

Now, if multiple clusters start popping up all over... then it has broken containment on a bigger scale.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Concur.

This virus remains dangerous for a long time out in the open (days, not just hours). If the NoCal patient turned the same doorknob as an infected person and didn't wash their hands, then they could've gotten sick.

Now, if multiple clusters start popping up all over... then it has broken containment on a bigger scale.

Yes. If some little isolated holler in Appalachia had an outbreak, then I'd be more concerned. Northern Cali, or any other heavily populated area? It's a lot more likely to happen.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Fear is an excellent profit maker.
    He is gonna make a killing on the secondary market.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom