Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bear paw is delicious......

Oh yeah...

iu

Oh wait. That's bear claw. Nevermind. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In France they mentioned that 10 patients who had the virus were no longer infected after a 10 days treatment.
    They are cured and left the hospital.

At first I heard they had no cures. :dunno:

From what I can tell, there's ~2.5% mortality rate, and it is only that high because of so many elderly/weakened immune system/poor health care type patients who have been infected. Generally healthy people with access to good health care can survive this with relative ease. Mostly.

Based on what I've seen reported.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On NPR this morning they had a WHO doctor telling people to stop buying suits/respirators/masks so the medical professionals don't have such a hard time getting them. A few sentences later she talked about how we need to prepare. Well, which is it?

The problem with the penny pinchers that claim that "parts on the shelf is wasted money".
    On time deliver will save money..
    Till it doesn't.

We've had stuff like this at work.
    Don't have the part because of "on time delivery".
    Something breaks Friday after noon.
    Call the salesman for the part.
    He's off for the weekend.
    Call Monday.
    Oops, they don't have the part in stock. But they're scheduled to make some, in a couple weeks.
    Of course, we're losing $100k per hour of lost production.
    For a $100 part we used to keep on the shelves ourselves.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This may,just may get someone who was not paying attention to.Yea,diet soda...it may be a thing of the past very soon.

Coca-Cola says coronavirus could cause Diet Coke shortages due to 'tighter supplies' of artificial sweeteners sourced from China

While we currently expect this business disruption to be temporary, there is uncertainty around its duration and its broader impact, and therefore the effects it will have on our business," the company wrote in its annual report published on Monday.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-could-cause-diet-coke-shortages-coca-cola-says-2020-2

Maybe we shouldn't be putting all our manufacturing eggs in one basket.
    Course, if this keeps going, it might affect production here anyway.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    From what I can tell, there's ~2.5% mortality rate, and it is only that high because of so many elderly/weakened immune system/poor health care type patients who have been infected. Generally healthy people with access to good health care can survive this with relative ease. Mostly.

Based on what I've seen reported.
    Not so much.The lowest is actually right at 4%The WHO did NOT publicly release the report today as they said they would.The following is in part what was in the report to the WHO from the team who went to China.

China response. Everything they did hinged on testing cases,and finding cases.
    Once found.

1.Differentiated approach.Depending on the number of cases in an area.

2.Mobilized all medical workers.Moved them to cases.All workers not just medical
    made to feel it was a duty to stop the spread.Non essential work shut down.All non essential business shut down.
    Example. 40k additional medical workers sent to Wuhan a city of 15 million.

3. Re-purposed all of government. All jobs changed. Everything became about virus control and getting things where they needed to go.
    Example. Department of transportation no longer was in charge of regulating transportation,but providing it in effected quarantine areas.

4.AI and big data used. Cell phones and wechat used to do much of the contract tracing in real time.Where was the now infected person,who had they been in contact with and near.

5.Hospitals. More than 90% converted to nothing but covid-19 treatment.Most non covid-19 medical issues are diagnosed via telecare.

Social distancing. Disinfecting. Hygiene. Sanitation. all the highest priorities. Isolation.

Food distribution. Online ordering and community drops. Has not worked that well,and they are trying to improve it.

Shipping issues from areas.

Almost no cases of non pneumonia cases(those that are asymptomatic transmitters it is a small percent 1:12 minutes into briefing)
    Common cases,not in critical care where walking pneumonia.This is around 80% of cases.Many case stay in the category for 2-4 weeks.
    Severe cases around 20% need oxygen support,and have a more likely hood of needed mechanical support.Of the 20% in this category most need full time support either oxygen,and in a few days possibly mechanical support.It is a huge number.This is the group that needs the most help.Whole hospitals. Average time in hospital is 4-6 weeks currently.%15 of this group go into critical care.Death rate is around 60% with care. Without enough proper care this rate is much higher.

51 minutes into his briefing,there is a cut in audio.Reuters first and second source of audio conflicting.

At 49-51 minutes he is talking about the new antibody test they have developed in China.

Individual hospitals with 1000 or so patients are using 60+ ventilators and ecmo systems 4+

The doctor says no western hospitals have the scale they do for support. They are moving in even more ventilators and ecmo systems.
    They are doing very well at keeping more people alive.This is very different from current practices in the west.We are not prepared.
    Doctor says if he gets it he wants treated in China.The mortality rate would be much higher without support.
    60 minutes in.

Questions have started from reports.

Rapid Isolation key.We have counted on vaccines,and need to change our mindset to one of isolation and prevention not counting on things like a vaccine to slow the spread.

Being clear of the virus via test is good for 3 days.All workers retested every 3 days to be eligible to work(multiple provinces,but in his example 5 million are already part of that system.)

2 meter distance for all communication when not wearing ppe. They used a room with microphones to talk to each other without PPE,with the translators and everyone sitting one person per table.

If you have a runny nose,it is not covid-19. Less than 4% had any upper respiratory issues. 88% had fever and lower lung issues.
    The complications of keeping people alive for weeks is not something we are prepared for.It has kept the death rate lower in China.The Chinese current death rate is around 4%,but that number has been going up over time.

1. Thing to do to prepare(governments and medical systems).Stop thinking it will not appear.Think it will be here tomorrow.

2.You will need beds.You will need to Isolate patients and contacts.

3.You have to have enough ventilators. You have to have to oxygenation ability.

4.You have to have testing ability. You have to have CT scanning capacity.You have to be ready to rapidly respond.

5.Can people ID suspected cases and contact trace rapidly?

6.Talk to the population.Prepare the population.Mask,and PPE will be needing in outbreak areas.As well as supplies and transportation of cases to care.

7.Find out and understand who in government can do what and when,before they have to do it.

8.You will have anxiety and fatigue of many medical workers,and officials. Plan a rotation system to try and give breaks.With hospitalizations lasting weeks not days people will need breaks.Patients of course need psychological support during care.This disease is something no one has ever had to deal with.Helplessness will be a common feeling. It is a battle we should prepare for.

9.Find cases as fast as you can. Having sever cases trip the system by already be critically ill is not going to work.

10.Everyone needs to be ready.No one is.Not psychologically or physically currently(oh but a few are...we are not many,but we exist.My comment not his in brackets).

One scientist on the trip thinks children where spreading this asymptotically. He does not. New antibody test for all children returning to school? They do not know enough yet.

Lower capacity countries will have much higher spread and fatalities. 1:40 in.They simply do not have the ability to have thousands on ventilators.

Smokers did not have a higher instance of disease.But age seems to be a very large factor,older patients recover more poorly.

It does hit all ages. Newborns and infants have died from the disease,other children have survived.It largely depends on care for the younger cases.
    He gives an example of a 2 month old where the mother died and the nurses kept the infant in care(tested positive),and they are still surviving.

Test test test. You have to find cases. 300,000 flu samples from one province (taken in January)where retested for covid-19. Only .49% had it,but if they had not found those cases it would have contributed to the spread.

Currently,during this briefing the team has not briefed the WHO. They will be responsible for the release of the report.The WHO is in control of information from the team after this press conference.

I took an open approach to this.

It is a source of raw information.Not something we have seen very often related to covid-19.

I looked for facts and advise he was giving.

I understand the political aspect,and that China failed in some huge ways.But that is not what is import here.I put politics aside,and looked at facts he presented.

To me this was information I,and no one else had seen or heard from someone who had limited exposure to the actual area the largest epidemic had happened in.

It is information that can be used. I did my best to track and glean any information out of the 2+hour briefing and share it here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3TowZyuIxI

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]That 4% is with Chinese official government stats.All data presented to the team was given by the Chinese government.
    [/FONT]The reality is probably higher than 4%,and when a medical system gets hit hard it will be much higher.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I won't quibble about 1.5% :) but I was basing it on reported numbers and doing the simple math. :)

There's plenty of room for error, both in the number of infected (which could be much higher because of asymptomatic or misdoagnosed patients) and the number who died from it. To me, those things net out in a way that the numbers are just the numbers.

We insure our stuff for lower-risk (quantitatively) scenarios than that.

Point being, though, that I do believe there's no reason to panic or self-quarantine or anything like that. Usual flu precautions (which should be habituated around here by now anyway) and that kind of thing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just stocked up on some extra food items from Sam's Club. No panic buying yet.

I cleaned out my pantry (had a bunch of stuff that was way past its "best by" date). Planning on picking up some extra stuff just in case. I don't eat much in the way of canned foods, so I'll need to look for stuff that I'll actually eat, pandemic or not. Probably pick up some soup, dried beans and rice, peanut butter, crackers, "mixes" that don't require dairy to make, etc.. Not going to go crazy with it, but it's something I've been meaning to do anyway. I've got a big bucket of the Wise "meals" as a backup too. Probably pick up some stuff for the freezer too.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The problem with the penny pinchers that claim that "parts on the shelf is wasted money".
    On time deliver will save money..
    Till it doesn't.

We've had stuff like this at work.
    Don't have the part because of "on time delivery".
    Something breaks Friday after noon.
    Call the salesman for the part.
    He's off for the weekend.
    Call Monday.
    Oops, they don't have the part in stock. But they're scheduled to make some, in a couple weeks.
    Of course, we're losing $100k per hour of lost production.
    For a $100 part we used to keep on the shelves ourselves.

When I worked at a Goodyear plant we had a 2000 sq ft storeroom full of spares for the equipment in our department. A new bigshot showed up one day and asked "Is it really necessary to keep all this crap in here?" My response was met with "If you're not going to use it in the next 24 hours then GET RID OF IT!"

O.k.

You know the rest of the story.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Powdered milk and you don't have to skip mixes requiring dairy. Don't forget spices. Pick up instant coffee and some tea bags. Comfort food and books for the long days. May be a good time to collect seed packets for the garden.

I cleaned out my pantry (had a bunch of stuff that was way past its "best by" date). Planning on picking up some extra stuff just in case. I don't eat much in the way of canned foods, so I'll need to look for stuff that I'll actually eat, pandemic or not. Probably pick up some soup, dried beans and rice, peanut butter, crackers, "mixes" that don't require dairy to make, etc.. Not going to go crazy with it, but it's something I've been meaning to do anyway. I've got a big bucket of the Wise "meals" as a backup too. Probably pick up some stuff for the freezer too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Powdered milk and you don't have to skip mixes requiring dairy. Don't forget spices. Pick up instant coffee and some tea bags. Comfort food and books for the long days. May be a good time to collect seed packets for the garden.

I'm thinking more in terms of not wanting to go to the store if we were put on "lock down", so I'm not concerned about power outages and the like (in this instance). I'll have plenty of coffee and iced tea bags (that's pretty much all I drink throughout the day). I'll check my spices, but I don't need much other than what I keep on hand normally. Good point about the powdered milk for cooking. No way I could drink that stuff. Blecch! That is one thing I would miss for sure. Love me some milk.

I picked up a couple of packets of flavored instant mashed potatoes that only require water to make and the one I tried was actually really good (for instant). Probably get some more of those too.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The last 48 hours have been eventful.

If I did this correctly,and read enough news we have 14 new countries with infections that previously did not.

Lebanon
    Kuwait
    Finland
    Pakistan
    Switzerland
    Macedonia
    Afghanistan
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Oman
    Bahrain
    Austria
    Iraq
    Georgia *edited to add this country http://www.ghn.ge/news/240287-sakartveloshi-koronavirusis-pirveli-shemtkhveva-dafiksirda
    All with first confirmed cases in the last 48 hours.
    BNO has been the absolute most amazing source tracking cases world wide.They only use official government #s.
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
    OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
    Diamond Princess705436 serious, 10 recoveredSource
    South Korea1,2611213 serious, 5 critical, 24 recoveredSource
    Italy3741219 serious, 1 recoveredSource
    Japan172*213 serious, 23 recoveredSource
    Iran13919Source
    Singapore9307 critical, 58 recoveredSource
    Hong Kong8924 critical, 2 serious, 18 recoveredSource
    United States5706 recovered
    Thailand4002 serious, 15 recoveredSource
    Taiwan3215 recoveredSource
    Malaysia22017 recoveredSource
    Australia23015 recoveredSource
    Germany1901 critical, 15 recoveredSource
    Vietnam16016 recoveredSource
    UAE1302 serious, 3 recoveredSource
    United Kingdom1308 recoveredSource
    France1721 serious, 11 recoveredSource
    Canada1203 recoveredSource
    Macau1006 recoveredSource
    Bahrain260Source
    Kuwait260Source
    Iraq50Source
    Philippines312 recoveredSource
    India303 recoveredSource
    Russia202 recoveredSource
    Spain1202 recoveredSource
    Oman40Source
    Nepal101 recoveredSource
    Cambodia101 recoveredSource
    Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
    Finland201 recoveredSource
    Sweden10Source
    Belgium101 recoveredSource
    Egypt101 recoveredSource
    Israel20Source
    Lebanon20Source
    Afghanistan10Source
    Austria20Source
    Croatia20Source
    Switzerland10Source
    Algeria10Source
    Brazil10Source
    Greece10Source
    Pakistan20Source
    North Macedonia10Source
    TOTAL3,21255105 serious/critical
    Now Romania as well. 15 new countries confirm cases in 48 hours.

Now 16.
    Norway as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom