Not open for further replies.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51456056

"In places where Asians are a visible minority such as Europe, the US and Australia, the Sinophobia appears to be fuelled by superficial stereotypes of the Chinese as dirty and uncivilised."
    Let’s just say, I’m not ordering my normal crab Rangoon, pork fried rice, and roast bbq pork until this thing blows over. Call me crazy or what you will, but those folks are back and forth to the Far East almost monthly, and they have new “employees” in and out weekly.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am not a Sinophobe.
    I am a Xenophobe, I am severely fearful of xenon gas, there are several isotopes that are dangerous to humans.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    CBS 4 reported a local facility was temporarily closed on tonight's 11 pm news. No mention on their website.
    I don't know why they reported it on the air. Wish I taped it

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm still wondering about quarantining on military bases. As someone who has spent many years on military bases, I think I speak for many when I ask, "WHAT!!!???"

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Call me crazy or what you will, but those folks are back and forth to the Far East almost monthly, and they have new “employees” in and out weekly.

Avoid them if you like, but even up here in rural northern Indiana, I know several lilly white dudes who are back forth to the far east almost monthly.

Hell, I know several in the building I work in.:dunno:

My boss and two coworkers were scheduled to leave for Shenzhen this Saturday. That trip has been indefinitely postponed.:D

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm still wondering about quarantining on military bases. As someone who has spent many years on military bases, I think I speak for many when I ask, "WHAT!!!???"

Yeah, IKR? It's property we own and have control over but the CDC or Homeland or somebody is going to have to roll in and provide the medical expertise to contain the area or it's going to break quarantine in a New York minute. Somebody needs to feed those people and I don't think Cookie is the best guy to do that. And then what are we supposed to do with the people who were living in those rooms?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Avoid them if you like, but even up here in rural northern Indiana, I know several lilly white dudes who are back forth to the far east almost monthly.

Hell, I know several in the building I work in.:dunno:

My boss and two coworkers were scheduled to leave for Shenzhen this Saturday. That trip has been indefinitely postponed.:D
    I know they exist, I just don’t know any frequent Far East flyers besides those at my local crab Rangoon joint, and again they rotate new employees through about weekly. The Rangoon is freaking amazballs, but I’ll wait. We have several Chinese based companies in warehouses out here, and I’m sure their execs and managers fly back and forth with frequency, but I’m not involved with any of them.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our daughter is not being allowed back to her Shenzhen school for the foreseeable future. She is marooned on Vietnam, but still expected to do distance learning with her students. Except she left her laptop in Shenzhen, since she was going on vacation for a week. That changed.

She can live quite cheaply in Vietnam (2 bed hotel room for about $50 a week, dinner for 70 cents), and is now about to get another laptop (her school is paying for it). She is under a lot of stress, planning lessons, trying to communicate online with students that only have a rudimentary understanding of English, living out of a suitcase where she doesn't understand the language. Good thing she is fairly fluent in Mandarin.

She was sick a few weeks ago but recovered quickly.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Our daughter is not being allowed back to her Shenzhen school for the foreseeable future. She is marooned on Vietnam, but still expected to do distance learning with her students. Except she left her laptop in Shenzhen, since she was going on vacation for a week. That changed.

She can live quite cheaply in Vietnam (2 bed hotel room for about $50 a week, dinner for 70 cents), and is now about to get another laptop (her school is paying for it). She is under a lot of stress, planning lessons, trying to communicate online with students that only have a rudimentary understanding of English, living out of a suitcase where she doesn't understand the language. Good thing she is fairly fluent in Mandarin.

She was sick a few weeks ago but recovered quickly.

I kind of envy her.
    I too had a series of unplanned events happen to me when I was younger and it changed my life. Made me stronger for sure. Some people dip their toes in to check the water but your daughter jumped in head first and didn't even know it.
    I will pray she gets out of there safely.

Hey, can she send back some AK parts while she's there? :rolleyes:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    They dont say why its closed.
    Granted some nwi schools are having e-learning day today and/or tomorrow so dont go freaking out just yet

Update #2 states because of covid 19. This is taking place at a military bases in South Korea. i just dont know if this is SOP for a base.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Update #2 states because of covid 19. This is taking place at a military bases in South Korea. i just dont know if this is SOP for a base.
    It’s really not too far out of the norm, non essential personnel get a little time off, a clinic is placed off limits, and a change in the gate manning hours. Slightly elevated but not end of times.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Why bureaucrats should not be in charge.
    PHD of infections disease boarded Diamond Princess,and was kicked off of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtHYZkLuKcI&feature=youtu.be

Going to update this post as the video is no longer on youtube,but it is still available with an actual news article from Australia.
    https://www.9news.com.au/world/coro...ne-chaos/cee0cbed-4f0f-4f07-8c6b-31165db3f850

It does not have the entire video,but some.He talked about things like the clipboard passed around from cabin to cabin where most everyone signed the release to be tested.
    Pretty much that clipboard and everyone who signed it where at risk(most passenger signed it).

Found the full video now so editing this.
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CaSLH_1582215825

Also of note.The WHO claimed just today Japan handled it properly during their press conference,and the best they could to stop the spread.They did not.They put bureaucrats in charge who had no clue what infection control was,much less how to achieve it.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    No Military have it yet.

US base in south Korea on lock down. DAEGU CITY - 53 new cases Thursday,mayor asks all citizens to stay home.
    South Korean navy has one confirmed case.
    U.S. Army Garrison Daegu
    @USAGDaegu

Anyone who visited this hospital between 7-17 Feb. should self-quarantine immediately, notify their chain or command or supervisor, and call the USFK Novel Coronavirus 24-hour hotline at Brian D. Allgood Army Community Hospital (BDAACH): 050-3337-2556 (mobile), 737-2556 (DSN)

To ensure USFK remains vigilant in preventing the spread of COVID-19 within USAG-Daegu and Area IV, the force following prudent health protection measures are in effect:

All service member mission-essential only travel to/from/around Daegu, and all service member non-mission essential travel to/from Daegu requires GO/FO authorization; this is highly encouraged for all family members, civilians and contractors.

All off-installation travel for all USFK populations should be minimized to reduce potential contamination.

The following Daegu locations are off-limits: Club C (Dong-gu), Searonan Hospital, Queenvell Hotel, Shincheonji Church, Public Health Office (Suseong-gu) and Daegu Medical Center.
    [link to [url]www.usfk.mil (secure)[/URL]]

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    No room for new case in the USA in any nearby hospital.
    https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...er-testing-positive-for-coroonavirus/2237205/
    With a handful of new people at Travis AFB, including Wright now testing positive for coronavirus, the worry is warranted. Wright is angry about how it is all being handled. He was told there is no room for him at any nearby hospital
    "It's an absolute joke," he said of the process
    Meanwhile, three buses filled with people whose quarantine has been lifted were set to leave Travis on Thursday morning. Two buses are scheduled to leave the base at 7 a.m. and head to San Francisco International Airport, and the third bus is scheduled to leave the base at 10 a.m. and head to an airport in Sacramento.
    The exact number of people released wasn't clear.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Iran has a city in lock down now.
    Singapore has a city in lock down.
    South Korea has a city in voluntary lock down.

All factories in Hubei to remain close until MARCH 11th at the earliest.Most schools to remain closed in the country until at least March 1st.
    https://www.shine.cn/news/nation/2002212461/

China's latest diagnosis and treatment scheme of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has deleted the category of clinically diagnosed cases.
    "The aerosol transmission happens conditionally," said Wang, stressing that it is very important to know that aerosol transmission is not always possible.The aerosol transmission refers to the mixing of the virus with droplets in the air to form aerosols, which can float for long distances and cause infection after inhalation.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom