• Status
    Not open for further replies.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I've been asked help train agencies for planning and evaluating existing programs to deal with a pandemic.

They are reaching out to safety professionals to assist as needed. Waiting for the company I work for to confirm if they want me to do this. I might be on loan for a while and will remain in Indiana. Anyone else get the call? I'll find out next week what the expectations will be. After that I'll make the decision.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0011721

We are talking about a country where almost 184-1,223 deaths per 100,000 population die of pneumonia every year.They have not asked for this kind of help,ever.
    To put it another way. 2.5 million-16.9 million die of pneumonia every year in China.
    I will even put it in a simpler way.
    On an average day in China 6,849-46,575 die per day of pneumonia on an average DAY in China.Every day

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If every "confirmed" case died over a period of 2 days...it would be higher than the average pneumonia deaths,but not by much.

[/FONT]Why mention this? Because if you think 1100 deaths over two months is even remotely what is actually happening you need a wake up call.
    China would not crush its own economy,shut down cities,ask for world wide help even if 20,000,30,000,even 46,000 thousand where dying per day.
    Even if 7000 died per day of pneumonia it would be the lowest possible average for China since 1985.

Point being.At this point trust nothing you are being told.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    It's Heee-eeere !

The 15th COVID-19 case confirmed yesterday in the US,
    https://www.businessinsider.com/wuh...u&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Science_select

and apparently in Singapore it is spreading (they are in summer now, which could imply that cold-weather temps may help to inactivate the virus). Singapore employers are being encouraged to allow their employees to not report to work. They note that transmission is more like the H1N1 (influenza virus) than the SARS virus. This Singapore news video is only 9 minutes long. I think Singapore is trying to warn the rest of the world with these government official press releases. They have had a large cluster of cases related to a CHURCH, and other smaller clusters from business/medical/social venues. Total of 67 patients.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgv65WW9XI

So... Do you have enough facial tissues and T.P. and soap to supply your family through at least two, 14-day self-quarantines? Water for all that hand-washing?
    (I'm considering that when the first member gets it, then household goes into "supportive care" quarantine, then if 2nd member becomes symptomatic at say 13 days later, now your 14-day "care" quarantine just started over).

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    HealthCare workers, this is why you need eye protection.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30066-7/fulltext

..."tropism to non-respiratory mucosal surfaces, thus limiting the effectiveness of face masks" (initial infection is believed to be via eye mucosa route)

..."These findings warrant aggressive measures (such as N95 masks, goggles, and protective gowns) to ensure the safety of health-care workers during this COVID-19 outbreak"

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So is an N95 Mask reusable? For how many times? Use once when you go out and throw it away when you get home?

I posted earlier in this thread about International Doctors without border advise about masks.It included how to take them off and on,and that they are not reusable.
    As to your current question.I think the answer is yes.IF you sanitize them between use.Say with 10% bleach and let them air dry.But the disposable ones will not work for long periods of time,and bleach may degrade them.
    Keeping things clean is about the most important thing you can do right now though.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I posted earlier in this thread about International Doctors without border advise about masks.It included how to take them off and on,and that they are not reusable.
    As to your current question.I think the answer is yes.IF you sanitize them between use.Say with 10% bleach and let them air dry.But the disposable ones will not work for long periods of time,and bleach may degrade them.
    Keeping things clean is about the most important thing you can do right now though.

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

I started reading in the thread, but I have not read all 67 pages. I was having a hard time winnowing the usable info from the comedic submissions.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    America to the rescue!!!

Is it too late to buy stock?

Check this out: California lab says it discovered coronavirus vaccine in 3 hours
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-lab-says-discovered-coronavirus-123356925.html

How can a private company do this and not the CDC.

Simple. The CDC does not develop drugs. This is good news, but it really doesn't mean much at this point. They have a chemical model that might work. They don't know how to make it yet. It hasn't been tested in vitro (in a lab) against coronovirus. It hasn't been tested in vivo (in an animal). It hasn't been tested for effectiveness and safety. They need to identify dosages, treatment protocols and side effects. They need to figure out how to scale it up to manufacturing volume and then implement it. There are international regulatory hurdles to deal with. Etc, etc.

Bottom line, it is good news, but it definitely is not guaranteed to be successful and is long, long way from actual implementation.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Simple. The CDC does not develop drugs. This is good news, but it really doesn't mean much at this point. They have a chemical model that might work. They don't know how to make it yet. It hasn't been tested in vitro (in a lab) against coronovirus. It hasn't been tested in vitro (in an animal). It hasn't been tested for effectiveness and safety. They need to identify dosages, treatment protocols and side effects. They need to figure out how to scale it up to manufacturing volume and then implement it. There are international regulatory hurdles to deal with. Etc, etc.

Bottom line, it is good news, but it definitely is not guaranteed to be successful and is long, long way from actual implementation.

What are you talking about. I watched the walking dead for 3 seasons and I know the CDC in Atlanta is where they were making the cure for the zombie virus.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...e-for-coronavirus-when-they-have-flu-symptoms

[h=1]Five cities testing people for coronavirus when they have flu symptoms[/h]
    Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced the initiative during a Senate panel on Thursday, where he was discussing the president's budget proposal. Elaborating on NPR Friday, Azar said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was working with health departments in Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles to test people for coronavirus who show up to doctor's offices and hospitals with flu symptoms.
    "Many questions about the virus remain," Azar, who is leading the president's task force against coronavirus, said during Thursday's hearing. "And this effort help see whether there is broader spread than we have been able to detect so far."

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom