• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I am going to make a long post,and try to explain what I think is happening.

The reason there is not panic.

1.The information is not reaching people.This is actually true.I know people that have no clue this is even happening.It is hardly mentioned on social media,and if it is they say things like only in China,and that leave readers with the opinion that this is not going to impact the readers life.

2.If they do actually understand the news and that is is a pandemic.They have seen the horrors going on, they can not change how they view the world as they know it.It is called normalcy bias.70% of the entire population experience this during a disaster.Be it a hurricane,earth quake or a pandemic.

Normalcy Bias: is a belief people hold when there is a possibility of a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the likelihood of a disaster and its possible effects, because people believe that things will always function the way things normally have functioned. This may result in situations where people fail to adequately prepare themselves for disasters, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations. About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias in disasters.

You have heard it on the news over and over.Wild fire tears apart a neighbor hood....the people " I can not believe this happened here" While standing in the ashes.It had never even occurred to them that it could happen.Even while standing in the ashes.They had a hard time wrapping their head around it ,the fact everything they thought was normal was gone.That it could and did already happen.

Then you have people who already have something or one to blame.
    Who despite understanding it is happening,want a mental reason of why it will not effect them.They find a piece of information that makes them feel safe.They research it more,based on the idea now in their head they are some how "safer" than some other group.

You can see the exact same thing happening in those who think it is only going to infect/kill some ethnic group,blood type...ect.

It makes them feel safer.The more that believe what they do the better they feel.They can accept the horror is happening,just not that it will happen to them.

Sadly another form of bias.

Then the reason people.

They already have something in mind to blame.Something like say a vaccines,but it could have been anything.Someone diet.Someone created a bio weapon.Some corporation.A government.Even climate change.As long as there is a reason they can wrap their head around,they will believe it.

Point being they think there is a reason it is happening,that they understand.It gives them someone to blame,making them feel superior,or safer because of the information they believe.It makes the disaster understandable to them.Most of this group are still in the 70% who can not comprehend the idea that it can happen in their life,where they live,or in there country ect.Still hanging on like 70% will do until they are the one standing in the ashes in shock(if they survive).

Last large group.
    Those who think someone or something will save them if anything bad happens they can not handle.
    Be it the government,a doctor they know,or a religion they believe in.
    Most will blame what they currently think is going to save them,when they see that it is not going to.Also most this group are in the 70% who have normalcy bias,but not all.

The rare group.The probably 2-5% understand they and they alone are responsible for taking action to assure their own survival.
    They do not need a reason this is happening.They understand it is though,and are mentally preparing for it.They are doing things in their life to prepare as best they can.They do not need to place blame anywhere,it is not going to help at all.There does not have to be a reason.It is a pandemic,and they would like to survive it.

We need more in that very small group.They can actually help each other.

I wrote this on another site.In three parts,slightly edited to put it here.
    I think we are in trouble.The world as a whole.I do not think this is something that will be "fixed" anytime soon.I think there are many huge changes that are going to come.
    Most will have almost no mental preparation to accept things are not going back to "normal"for either quite awhile,and possibly never.

Just my random thoughts I put into words trying to organize in my mind what I am dealing with currently,and what the future may look like.
    I really hope we some how dodge all of this.I hope to be wrong.

I think I am at the acceptance stage.Life,commerce,and most of what is normal is about to not be.There will be horror and death,not seen in any of our life times(unless you are in Wuhan).
    It feels odd,but peaceful.None of it will come as a shock to be.The news will not captivate me or my attention.My life will go on in a different way.I am taking this window and spending more
    time with friends and family.I am worried,but not scared or panicked.I am worried about everyone that can not or will not accept we are in a global pandemic,that will change everything.

You are all loved.Be well,be safe,and help each other when ever and where ever you can.

* Last edit.
    I do not think we are all going to die.I think the pandemic will kill maybe upward of 10%-30%.What happens during and after could bring the total to 10-50%.
    We will pick up the pieces.The world,I hope becomes a better place.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I do not think we are all going to die.I think the pandemic will kill maybe upward of 10%-30%.What happens during and after could bring the total to 10-50%.

Well, aren’t we just a ray of sunshine. At least we won’t have to worry about global warming then, right?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...At least we won’t have to worry about global warming then, right?

I'm really surprised the climate change cultists aren't out cheering for this virus. What could be better for Mother Earth than 50% less humans?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225429678816669698

Chinese doctor Li Wenliang, who was accused of spreading rumors after trying to warn colleagues about coronavirus, has died of the illness

After trying to warn people about the new virus, Li was told to sign a letter that said: "We solemnly warn you: If you keep being stubborn, with such impertinence, and continue this illegal activity, you will be brought to justice - is that understood?"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm really surprised the climate change cultists aren't out cheering for this virus. What could be better for Mother Earth than 50% less humans?

I'm sure there's a group of population control people who are rooting for it.

They're just hidden in their cesspools of militant communism.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, aren’t we just a ray of sunshine. At least we won’t have to worry about global warming then, right?
    Actually got a huge smile and a bit of a laugh at your comment.
    I have not been accused of being an optimist :)

I look at that glass,and when they ask is it half full or half empty.....and just look at them and turn my head both way and reply...
    "Are you serious? It is a glass and it has water in it."
    I am and have been most of my life a realist.

As far as global warming.I think they changed the script again.I think right now they are torn between climate change,and a new mini ice age.
    Me I am a realist.It is the sun stupid.Always was.It is a solar minimum.It will trend cooler.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I am going to make a long post,and try to explain what I think is happening.

The reason there is not panic.

1.The information is not reaching people.This is actually true.I know people that have no clue this is even happening.It is hardly mentioned on social media,and if it is they say things like only in China,and that leave readers with the opinion that this is not going to impact the readers life.

2.If they do actually understand the news and that is is a pandemic.They have seen the horrors going on, they can not change how they view the world as they know it.It is called normalcy bias.70% of the entire population experience this during a disaster.Be it a hurricane,earth quake or a pandemic.

Normalcy Bias: is a belief people hold when there is a possibility of a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the likelihood of a disaster and its possible effects, because people believe that things will always function the way things normally have functioned. This may result in situations where people fail to adequately prepare themselves for disasters, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations. About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias in disasters.

You have heard it on the news over and over.Wild fire tears apart a neighbor hood....the people " I can not believe this happened here" While standing in the ashes.It had never even occurred to them that it could happen.Even while standing in the ashes.They had a hard time wrapping their head around it ,the fact everything they thought was normal was gone.That it could and did already happen.

Then you have people who already have something or one to blame.
    Who despite understanding it is happening,want a mental reason of why it will not effect them.They find a piece of information that makes them feel safe.They research it more,based on the idea now in their head they are some how "safer" than some other group.

You can see the exact same thing happening in those who think it is only going to infect/kill some ethnic group,blood type...ect.

It makes them feel safer.The more that believe what they do the better they feel.They can accept the horror is happening,just not that it will happen to them.

Sadly another form of bias.

Then the reason people.

They already have something in mind to blame.Something like say a vaccines,but it could have been anything.Someone diet.Someone created a bio weapon.Some corporation.A government.Even climate change.As long as there is a reason they can wrap their head around,they will believe it.

Point being they think there is a reason it is happening,that they understand.It gives them someone to blame,making them feel superior,or safer because of the information they believe.It makes the disaster understandable to them.Most of this group are still in the 70% who can not comprehend the idea that it can happen in their life,where they live,or in there country ect.Still hanging on like 70% will do until they are the one standing in the ashes in shock(if they survive).

Last large group.
    Those who think someone or something will save them if anything bad happens they can not handle.
    Be it the government,a doctor they know,or a religion they believe in.
    Most will blame what they currently think is going to save them,when they see that it is not going to.Also most this group are in the 70% who have normalcy bias,but not all.

The rare group.The probably 2-5% understand they and they alone are responsible for taking action to assure their own survival.
    They do not need a reason this is happening.They understand it is though,and are mentally preparing for it.They are doing things in their life to prepare as best they can.They do not need to place blame anywhere,it is not going to help at all.There does not have to be a reason.It is a pandemic,and they would like to survive it.

We need more in that very small group.They can actually help each other.

I wrote this on another site.In three parts,slightly edited to put it here.
    I think we are in trouble.The world as a whole.I do not think this is something that will be "fixed" anytime soon.I think there are many huge changes that are going to come.
    Most will have almost no mental preparation to accept things are not going back to "normal"for either quite awhile,and possibly never.

Just my random thoughts I put into words trying to organize in my mind what I am dealing with currently,and what the future may look like.
    I really hope we some how dodge all of this.I hope to be wrong.

I think I am at the acceptance stage.Life,commerce,and most of what is normal is about to not be.There will be horror and death,not seen in any of our life times(unless you are in Wuhan).
    It feels odd,but peaceful.None of it will come as a shock to be.The news will not captivate me or my attention.My life will go on in a different way.I am taking this window and spending more
    time with friends and family.I am worried,but not scared or panicked.I am worried about everyone that can not or will not accept we are in a global pandemic,that will change everything.

You are all loved.Be well,be safe,and help each other when ever and where ever you can.

* Last edit.

The one and only time I will quote my book.
    I would like those who come to this thread to read it,and the following article.

It is about a man who survived a coronavirus infection.It is not the same exact virus as the one spreading,but some it sounds awful close to what I have been reading about in case studies currently going on in China.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-man-struck-down-coronavirus-21442135

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Smokingman, I don't know if this one is "The One" or not but I agree with what you are laying down. The prepared will need to work together once we emerge from the darkness back into the light and discover a very different world than what we have ever known.
    Not saying everyone will have the luxury of being sheltered through the madness, but speaking in general. It will be forever changed

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wuhan Ordered to Round Up Infected People

Getting ugly in Wuhan. Going house to house now and forcing any suspected infected into central quarantine.

EQHaZEVXsAkivde

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Interesting. Tencent who is reporting the coronavirus numbers put up dramatically higher numbers for a short period on Feb 1st, pulled them down, and replaced them with similar numbers as we have been seeing.

Some are asking...is this a clerical error? Was it intentional as someone was hoping the world would notice and a bit of real information leaked out of the communist government?

If you look at the leaked numbers, the mortality rate is 16% (which could be plausible). Also, if there is really 25,000 dead in Wuhan, then this would seem to more closely match the numerous "leaks" that the outside world has not been able to substantiate about the government not being able to handle the number of dead bodies.

Here is a link to a Taiwan new article with a screen grab. https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

If you look at other countries, they are not reporting the same statistics. Is that consequences of not enough time to complete the entire infection process or the limited number of infected they have at this moment? Will this all be confirmed as the infection spreads?

I don't know. But it gives us reason to make sure we each have our own preps ready and available.

I would think that in such an event (as this could be), moving out of a population center and in the country side could be beneficial. Distance from others might be the best protection from a pandemic.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I just laid in over a month worth of canned food and bottled water. Luck favors the prepared.
    Where do you live? Asking for a friend?;) Fortune favors the Bold. I’ve got at least that, wondering about duct tape and film rolls? Couldn’t hurt, doesn’t take much space, doesn’t cost much, but being able to seal windows, doors, or bodies may be a good thing?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    "
    :facepalm:
    No way you can fully seal your house.
    You are just better off wearing the p100 full face mask all day long while you go raid tbhausen place for the food.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    "
    :facepalm:
    No way you can fully seal your house.
    You are just better off wearing the p100 full face mask all day long while you go raid tbhausen place for the food.
    The windows and doors were more of a cover for the “other” thing. I’ve got an M40 so the P100’s are just meh. I’m looking for an Avon M50 full face, just because they are much easier to shoot with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom