• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Just a few days ago the USA hit 1000 cases.

Now New York city alone is reporting that many in a single day. This is what exponential spread looks like when you test for it.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said it may take 45 days to reach the peak of infection and 110,000 hospital beds could be needed; the Navy is sending a "hospital ship" with 1,000 rooms to NYC harbor to help ease the load for people who are ill with something other than COVID-19

I think that is a low estimate(110,000 for New York city),largely because of "Gov. Andrew Cuomo all but quashed the idea of implementing a shelter-in-place order in New York City"
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/cor...ace-as-death-toll-hits-double-digits/2332094/

That was quick. See I messaged Gov. Andrew Cuomo,and gave him a little information,and my opinion. He responded to me. He has now just made a public statement.

Work from home — Stop the spread!I will issue an Executive Order directing non-essential businesses to implement WFH policies effective Friday.Businesses that rely on in-office personnel MUST decrease their in-office workforce by 50%. (Essential services are exempted.)

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1240346313692233732

Very pleased he is doing more and plans to do much more.See one guy getting information out,real information is worth millions of lives.

You to can make a difference. Things like the video I posted about ventilators,you can share it. Send it. Email it. Let those who can use it know it is an option,given the alternative they will thank you if it comes to choosing to do it or turning away patients for lack of tools to use to help them.

I did not just post it here I sent it to health department,hospitals,governors,and even the director of HHS Chad Wolf and ask them to help spread the information.

I am not taking credit away from Cuomo,but he was missing a piece of information I felt would change his mind and it did.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "I guess what I am asking it at what point, %, wise can we not recover. If a man comes into hospital with 80% 3rd degree burns do you treat to save or treat to make comfortable."

World got down to 8 people in a boat at one point.
    Treat to save or treat to make comfortable? Poor guy is going to lose his mind either way.

Ummm, It Depends.
    There is no hard fast number or percentage.
    Which groups of people get hit worse?
    And, which are left.
    A long time ago, society was mostly agrarian. Not all, but mostly.
    So, people were very self sufficient.
    But nowadays... society is very "complicated".
    Less people can "live off the land".
    And those that can't, might kill those that can.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/20...fy130jy9ocJLgUWxl0f8ZOoFsGO8O8n-6T01E3UGoprRs

Detroit automakers Ford, General Motors, FCA agree to close all US plants

Well, now I have to change my earlier statement about worrying about being locked in the mill.
    All our steel isn't for cars.
    But.. a BIG percentage is.

There would still have to be a small group of people, we call it a "fire watch".
    When the facilities are worth millions of dollars, you need to make sure a water leak, or small fire, don't take the whole thing down.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This kind of stuff has been called (or nicknamed) by it's country (or area) of origin for hundreds of years.
    Why is now different?

It's also been called a plague for hundreds of years, but we've moved past it.

It's not a PC thing, it's just life.

There's plenty of germy outbreaks that weren't tied to a regional moniker.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's also been called a plague for hundreds of years, but we've moved past it.

It's not a PC thing, it's just life.

There's plenty of germy outbreaks that weren't tied to a regional moniker.

Yeah. The plague traveled from China along the Silk Road to the West.

China is a petri dish.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Lilly, Indiana State Department of Health Partner to Accelerate COVID-19 Testing Using Lilly Research Laboratories

https://investor.lilly.com/news-rel...te-department-health-partner-accelerate-covid

INDIANAPOLIS, March 18, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE:LLY) announced today its scientists are partnering with the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), with support from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), to accelerate testing in Indiana for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

"Lilly is bringing the full force of our scientific and medical expertise to attack the coronavirus pandemic around the world," said
    David A. Ricks, Lilly's chairman and chief executive officer. "For more than 140 years Lilly has played a leading role in solving problems in our Indiana home. Today we are marshalling our people and our assets to confront and defeat the novel coronavirus in our state."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yahoo! just announced at least 18 months on the ground and MASSIVE shortages.

Primarily they were talking about medical equipment shortages and a flattened infection curve but it's the headlines man! The headlines!

Costco should be good for some lunchtime entertainment tomorrow!

another panic inducing yahoo headline

WTF reads Yahoo! news?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    WTF reads Yahoo! news?
    He actually picked up on it before me. It is not just yahoo news,shortly it will be all news.

(Bloomberg) -- The U.S. government forecast the coronavirus pandemic “will last 18 months or longer,” causing widespread shortages that put a strain on consumers and the health care system, New York Times reported, citing a 100-page federal plan.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I voted for Trump, and will again. And he's right. But that said, there's no need to antagonize the country that makes most of our medication.

Yeah, we can just nuke them and then have a chat with the Indians about their policy of reserving certain drugs for domestic use. If we have the Indians on board, we don't need the Chinese

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

The professor's point about a lack of data is well made, but also useless.

In the human experience, it isn't obvious that a situation will be an emergency... until it is obvious it is an emergency.

This hit Wuhan like a ton of bricks. Were their failures, both under-reactions and over-reactions? Sure. But it was deadly on a fairly big scale.

His point about not knowing the fatality rates is the real problem. To do that, you need testing that doesn't (or didn't) exist. Until that get online, so that you can make fact-based decisions, you're struggling in the fog of war (or the epidemiological equivalent).

No way to know the "best" reaction until it is over.

Well.

We may get another opportunity to react to this in the Fall, when it comes around again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom