• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So shale oil/fracking is now priced out of the market and the companies, which are highly leveraged, will be collapsing, merging and filing for bankruptcy.

Or bailed out asap.

Which will likely be our governments response.

Seems to be the main response to crisis after crisis since at least 1987.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Re: banking (partially in response to a message delivered via rep - and thanks for that) :)

Because I'm a cynic, it has occurred to me that one way to prop up a bank's reserve/liquidity is to send money to the people depositing it, at a time when they probably feel the need to save money.

People might deposit it and sit on it, which improves the bank's holdings. Or they spend it, which has other benefits for the economy.

rFfH0vT.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Just a few days ago the USA hit 1000 cases.

Now New York city alone is reporting that many in a single day. This is what exponential spread looks like when you test for it.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said it may take 45 days to reach the peak of infection and 110,000 hospital beds could be needed; the Navy is sending a "hospital ship" with 1,000 rooms to NYC harbor to help ease the load for people who are ill with something other than COVID-19

I think that is a low estimate(110,000 for New York city),largely because of "Gov. Andrew Cuomo all but quashed the idea of implementing a shelter-in-place order in New York City"
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/cor...ace-as-death-toll-hits-double-digits/2332094/

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As I listen to the rain fall right now I think back to when I was in grade school and the teacher talking about acid rain and how it would kill us and virus the same.

Where is that acid rain they promised. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Is anyone self-quarantined or working for home due to the virus outbreak?

Well, can't really do that at the mill. Except VERY few jobs.
    Some of the IT guys can do it, unless they have to actually change some equipment.

We run 24/365.
    Individual facilities may shut down for 16-24 hours for maintenance. But I've only seen the ENTIRE place shut down ONE day in over 28 years.
    I'm more worried that they'll declare an emergency. Yup, it's in our contract.
    They do that and you can't leave.
    So, all they have to do then is, stop the outgoing shift from leaving. Bring in the oncoming shift.
    Then bring food and cots in. 8 on 8 off, but never leaving.

Twice I've been held over because of the winter, for days on end.

Of course, you CAN leave.
    You just won't have a job.
    And the union will have a hard time fighting for you, when the contract specifically calls out "emergency".

Not saying they won't shut down. But very unlikely.
    Even when we have are slow on orders, we make steel and store it.

And advantage we might have.
    I heard the virus has problems above 80 degrees.
    Well, most of where I work is above 80 degrees.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If there’s a shelter in place order, can they keep a farmer from his field? They’re not all right out the back door so can we drive to them?

I would hope not.
    Fields and animals have to be tended.
    And we still need food.

Besides, aren't they mostly worried about groups of people?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://nationalinterest.org/feature/next-coronavirus-nightmare-theres-drug-shortage-horizon-134147

The Next Coronavirus Nightmare: There's a Drug Shortage on the Horizon

Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, weighs in on how to tackle the coronavirus pandemic and what the future holds for those Americans who haven't been infected by the virus.

Lots more at the source.But in short he thinks by September of 2020 things will be much worse than they are now,not better.

We were not really anticipating that this would become an epidemic in the United States. Although there were people who felt that it would, there was not the kind of preparation, necessarily, that needed to happen two months ago to prepare for now. And you don’t want to be in a situation where it’s September and saying, “Gosh, I really wish we would have done some things differently in May and June so we have different tools and a different posture.”

I was one of those people. I messaged him personally thanking him for the information he does provide as well.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    They better let them plant cause if they cant they are going to run into food issues later this year.

think italians!!! Think!!!
    read the article the main issue is not Italians,but the use of cheap imported labor from places like Romania to do the work.

Same issue we will have in the US with Mexico,and soon.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do a search on Twitter of "shoot the virus" to see some real idiocy.

Nope, guns aren't for shooting the virus you morons. It's for shooting the muppets that lose their damn minds and come for *your *****, and the increase in crime as police say they'll be doing less responding

Yup.
    Well, these people probably never had to fight. Or they fought once in 1st grade.
    They can't imagine someone taking there stuff, and there being NO MORE REPLACEMENTS.
    They've always lived in the land of plenty.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They actually do. :dunno:
    They are helping France.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/202...8reuters-health-coronavirus-france-china.html

And the US, well that's a private thing but still ...

chinese-billionaire-says-he-will-donate-one-million-face-masks-and-500000-coronavirus-testing-kits-to-the-us

https://www.channel3000.com/chinese...nd-500000-coronavirus-testing-kits-to-the-us/

Maybe if the US president stopped calling the COVID-19 the "chinese virus" more Chinese folks would be willing to help the US. :twocents:

This kind of stuff has been called (or nicknamed) by it's country (or area) of origin for hundreds of years.
    Why is now different?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom