• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Then this is new... as recently as a day or two ago, the Chinese Communist government had a BAN on any masks leaving China.

Looking for the articles I read days ago, IIRC the world, mainly US and EU, sent 40 million masks to help when this was a Wuhan crisis.

So they're sending you a million and us a million? 2 million! Woohoo!

It's from today.
    One plane from China landed in France today with a bunch of masks.
    Maybe they will send more as their factories are working again.
    That's one million just for France, they sent more to Spain and other countries.

Anyway they are shipping masks out of China again, which is a good news for all the people who need them.
    Sure it's not enough right now but they can't ship a gazillion masks all at once.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Just got done reading this in our local paper....https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...2a9bba05e4.html#tracking-source=home-trending

Some of the powers that Gov. Holcomb now has since signing the disaster declaration on March 6th:

In accordance with the recommendations of the State Board of Health he can "employ any measure and give any direction".
    We've already seen this in action with the closing of restaurant/bar dining.

He is also able to suspend water, gas, electric, and other utility services.

He can direct or prohibit pedestrian and vehicular movement.

He can evacuate and relocate civilian population.

He can use any state or local government facility in any way he deems appropriate.

He can also suspend ANY state rule or regulation.

Thankfully, he legally cannot restrict the lawful possesion, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition.....a 2010 law enacted by Daniels bars the state or local governments from ever halting commerce in guns.

[video=youtube;7bF38rT7et0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bF38rT7et0[/video]

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/20...fy130jy9ocJLgUWxl0f8ZOoFsGO8O8n-6T01E3UGoprRs

Detroit automakers Ford, General Motors, FCA agree to close all US plants

They have been doing this slowly for just over 1.5 months due to lack of parts already.
    My mother is still a CPA,and still does taxes for many clients. One of which showed her a letter back in January from Ford. The person said all at the transmission plant in Michigan
    where he worked where given options. Take a layoff now with 80% pay,many with less than 5 years left to retire where offered partial retirements,and the last option was to keep working and risk a layoff and unemployment.

The client choose the 80% early layoff as they are only 3 years from retirement and time spent being laid off still counts toward those 3 years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Highlighting and arguing over the origin of the virus at this point is not helpful. Stevie Wonder can see that.

He never mentioned it up to that point. That's my point. Until bimbo girl brought it up out of the blue, the President was talking about measures being taken to control the spread, and provide assistance and relief to the public and private sectors. She was the only one interjecting SJW PC nonsense into it.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    He never mentioned it up to that point. That's my point. Until bimbo girl brought it up out of the blue, the President was talking about measures being taken to control the spread, and provide assistance and relief to the public and private sectors. She was the only one interjecting SJW PC nonsense into it.

They just cannot help themselves.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Im a YUGE trump supporter, but it does seem like he may be trying to push some buttons there. It doesn’t bother me, because technically it is true, but right now I wish we’d focus on the virus itself instead of what people choose to call it.

Oh he's absolutely doing it because of how they're reacting to it. Just makes them look bad for focusing on that instead of what's actually being done to alleviate the outbreak.

My record on INGO of being harsh on Trump is open and extensive. But, at the end of the day, I don't give 2 ****s what he calls it. He's about branding. He reckons that if he can brand it as "Chinese" it will help him at the polls in November. Ok. Whatevs.

More important to me is what the feds are doing to mitigate this. So far, I can't really quarrel with much. General unpreparedness, maybe, but that's kinda an American thing. We tend not to be very prepared if the previous disaster happens again, but not so much for new disasters. And, that general unpreparedness really extends to prior administrations, too.

Now, Trump can still much things up. And I'm not sure about the entirety of the .gov financial issues. But that's very much a moving target right now, and probably not the biggest problem facing us, collectively. So, its noise at this point.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Back when I posted that my numbers where based on 80% infected(Harvard study) and the 3.4% death rate posted for over 2 months in every report by the World Health Organization.Which stated over and over that without adequate hospital beds,ventilators,and medical personnel the death rate would be much higher. The WHO also a few
    weeks in to Italy's now sever crisis used them as an example when they had a 8.9% death rate...an example of what could happen if your hospital system was not prepared.
    My number that I posted was off based on 100% infection rate. So was your original estimated death rate based on 10% of 80% infected? (Estimated 27 million death rate worst case) and do you feel that is still a worse case currently?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I find little value in arguing about which worst-case scenario is most likely. But I've been on INGO awhile (working toward 50 quality posts) so I know that's part of the user experience. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, and quick note about "new" cases.

Until we have a better handle on the overall spread of this, the "new" cases are really "existing" cases that have been newly identified. The quickly increasing numbers are unlikely to be new infections, but more accurate mapping of who already has it.

Figured almost everyone already knows this, but it bears repeating. No need to panic if confirmed cases spike. That's actually a good thing IMHO.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I've been on INGO awhile (working toward 50 quality posts)...

giphy.gif

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My number that I posted was off based on 100% infection rate. So was your original estimated death rate based on 10% of 80% infected? (Estimated 27 million death rate worst case) and do you feel that is still a worse case currently?

My early estimate was 10% from actual infections.But the number is actually higher than that. If we reach anywhere close to that number the deaths from other medical conditions might surpass Covid-19 deaths. Things like heart attacks,accidents,and just normal things that could be easily treated will be much less likely to be treated once hospital and medical systems are a at the point they simply do not have capacity to treat them.

So just looking at covid-19 deaths is only a small percentage of the deaths it actually causes.

Trying to say and I did it poorly. That the infections will cause other deaths. 10% from infections include other treatable medical conditions,that will not be treated.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our oldest daughter recently returned from Germany, just before all the borders were closed. She was in a small town at the very southwest corner of the country, and had to go to Zurich to get to the airport. She was required by the border guards to show her airline ticket to get through. She is now self-quarantining in our house. Hasn't been sick in the last month, and wore her mask on the flights back, in spite of being shuttled around between Vietnam, Thailand, Switzerland and Germany in the last 6 weeks. We are hoping for the best and sanitizing for the worst.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Then this is new... as recently as a day or two ago, the Chinese Communist government had a BAN on any masks leaving China.

Looking for the articles I read days ago, IIRC the world, mainly US and EU, sent 40 million masks to help when this was a Wuhan crisis.

So they're sending you a million and us a million? 2 million! Woohoo!

Hush! You can't call it a Wuhan crisis! It was obviously a Mayberry crisis!

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Is this virus worse than Spanish flu? Or do we have better medical care now so there will be less deaths? I know the Spanish flu killed heathy men fighting over in Europe

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So, shouldn't you enlighten us about where his errors lie with a few pithy paragraphs embodying your superior understanding (with citations) ... if you can?

Imperiousness is not a substitute for shared, fact-checked knowledge

No soup for you.

If you don't know, you have lots of time to home school.

(why did I know that the teal monster would arise in defense of bad data?)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder how long it will be before they start changing the history books to refer to the "Spanish" flu as something less offensive to the people of Spain. :rolleyes:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just got done reading this in our local paper....https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...2a9bba05e4.html#tracking-source=home-trending

Some of the powers that Gov. Holcomb now has since signing the disaster declaration on March 6th:

In accordance with the recommendations of the State Board of Health he can "employ any measure and give any direction".
    We've already seen this in action with the closing of restaurant/bar dining.

He is also able to suspend water, gas, electric, and other utility services.

He can direct or prohibit pedestrian and vehicular movement.

He can evacuate and relocate civilian population.

He can use any state or local government facility in any way he deems appropriate.

He can also suspend ANY state rule or regulation.

Thankfully, he legally cannot restrict the lawful possesion, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition.....a 2010 law enacted by Daniels bars the state or local governments from ever halting commerce in guns.

[video=youtube;7bF38rT7et0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bF38rT7et0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;ZuP2wvTAj0E]https://youtu.be/ZuP2wvTAj0E[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    But under 18 aren’t in the work force, and most in their 20s aren’t either. They’re waiting on their hand outs and government cheese.

I mean, I get it’s a small portion of the population, but in an already struggling economy, it has to have some effect. Given not as drastic as quarantining the country, but still. We are told to give our guns to the government because “if it saves just 1 life”, then the response to a deadly virus is “meh, 1.2 million is less than 1% of the population”.

I don’t want my parents or grandparents to die over something that could be stomped out with some short term sacrifices, and I don’t want any of the older folks on ingo to pass either. Most of what I know in life today is because someone older gave me the knowledge.

I'm not sure where you're getting your labor numbers, but to say a majority of people in their 20s aren't in the work force seems blatantly wrong.

To the second part, I don't want my parents dying in a car wreck, but I don't hide their keys to keep them from driving either.

This is America. We don't stand for government forcing us to do stuff or prevent us from living our lives. At least that's how it used to be.

We do need to take common sense precautions while not completely shutting down the economy or giving up more power to the government. Because once we give it up we never get it back. Never.

This is a balancing act, but we cannot give in to fear. Fear is the language of slaves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom