• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This is a good example of why we should never rely on another country for medical or military supplies. If China had a backbone and wished for the world to look to them for help, they would do everything they could to provide support to countries who need it, NOT threaten withholding it, especially considering it was them who put the world in this situation. They aren’t helping people’s opinions of them

They actually do. :dunno:
    They are helping France.

PARIS — China is sending 1 million surgical masks and gloves to France to help it fight the coronavirus, the French foreign minister said on Wednesday.A first plane arrived via Belgium earlier on Wednesday and a second will arrive on Thursday, Jean-Yves Le Drian said in an interview with BFM TV.
    France, which has a shortage of masks and gloves, provided China with some 17 tonnes of equipment after the virus broke out in China's Wuhan province.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/202...8reuters-health-coronavirus-france-china.html

And the US, well that's a private thing but still ...

[FONT=&quot](CNN) — Chinese billionaire and Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma said he will donate 500,000 coronavirus testing kits and one million face masks to the United States.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The kits and masks have been sourced and are ready to be delivered, he said Friday on Twitter and Weibo, China’s micro-blogging platform.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“Drawing from my own country’s experience, speedy and accurate testing and adequate personal protective equipment for medical professionals are most effective in preventing the spread of the virus,” Jack Ma said in a statement. “We hope that our donation can help Americans fight against the pandemic!”[/FONT]

chinese-billionaire-says-he-will-donate-one-million-face-masks-and-500000-coronavirus-testing-kits-to-the-us

https://www.channel3000.com/chinese...nd-500000-coronavirus-testing-kits-to-the-us/

Maybe if the US president stopped calling the COVID-19 the "chinese virus" more Chinese folks would be willing to help the US. :twocents:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Great point. I guess the follow up question to that is, how much of a hit would the economy take if the virus continues to spread and we have the worst case scenario death numbers that have been predicted? Let’s say 1.2 million die because of this, I know a quarantine would have a bigger impact on the economy because supplies aren’t being bought/sold... but surely losing 1.2 million citizens has a long term effect also? Companies left without employees in important positions that need refilled and retrained, 1.2 million less consumers, etc etc.

1.2 million out of 331 million is only 0.6% of our population.

I understand (I hope) that you are doing a hypothetical cost/benefit analysis and are not serious (I hope).

However, you are WAY OFF if hypothesizing what happens if the virus run it's course.

The numbers I've seen is that 6% of the infected require intensive, critical care for 4-6 weeks. That's what the fatality rate estimates of 0.5-0.7% are based upon... enough ICU beds to take care of the critically ill.

Italy is experiencing what happens when that is not the case.

The US has 60,000 ICU beds... that's thousands. So over then next 4-5 months someone would have to chose which ~200,000 - 300,000 of the critically ill to attempt to save.

6% of 340 Million people is 20.4 Million.

Letting the virus "run" thru the herd is risking a triple-Hitler. (thought I'd just go ahead and short-circuit Godwin thing :) )

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Everybody, including all of INGO, calls it "Coronavirus or COVID-19", so is he being contrary just to be contrary? I'm not even that bad.

However, at my house, out of the public eye, we do call it the "Kung Flu". :):

Wrong. I continue to call it "Pooh's Breath V/D". I may shift to calling it "The Chinese Virus". Honestly I don't give a rat's patooty about how China feels about things. It would have been better if Nixon had stayed out of there and we had just nuked them. Deny what you want, we have been at war since WWII with them. And now we have an attack on our people as the result of a weapons lab in Wuhan. It has long been time to make our own junk.:ranton:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The president is on his game. His being factual without being PC on the kung flu will continue to chip away in our effort to reel China in from the free reign they have been given by past administrations.

Just ask Joe Biden, he knows all about it... ;)

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I haven't heard him antagonizing them. I have however heard the state run Chinese media threaten the U.S. hinting at cutting off our medical supplies, etc.. Using a word that accurately describes the origin of the virus is just a wee bit less antagonizing than that. Call me crazy.

Not one word was said about China at all in this press conference, except for the liberal bimbo SJW.

Highlighting and arguing over the origin of the virus at this point is not helpful. Stevie Wonder can see that.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Im a YUGE trump supporter, but it does seem like he may be trying to push some buttons there. It doesn’t bother me, because technically it is true, but right now I wish we’d focus on the virus itself instead of what people choose to call it. After the threat is gone, I don’t care if he flips China the bird and calls it kung flu on national tv, but for now let’s focus on defeating the damn thing.

Oh he's absolutely doing it because of how they're reacting to it. Just makes them look bad for focusing on that instead of what's actually being done to alleviate the outbreak.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I understand (I hope) that you are doing a hypothetical cost/benefit analysis and are not serious (I hope).

However, you are WAY OFF if hypothesizing what happens if the virus run it's course.

The numbers I've seen is that 6% of the infected require intensive, critical care for 4-6 weeks. That's what the fatality rate estimates of 0.5-0.7% are based upon... enough ICU beds to take care of the critically ill.

The US has 60,000 ICU beds... that's thousands. So over then next 4-5 months someone would have to chose which ~200,000 - 300,000 of the critically ill to attempt to save.

Letting the virus "run" thru the herd is risking a triple-Hitler. (thought I'd just go ahead and short-circuit Godwin thing :) )

This is the reason I posted more than a month and a half ago I thought the death rate from this would be 10% or more.
    They where doing so little testing compared to the rest of the world. If cases had been caught early and contract tracing
    of those cases succeeded we would not be in the position we are now.

We are in a bad situation. I hope it does not get to my worse case. Already so much has not been done that should have.

We had months to prepare our medical system. That time was largely wasted. I did reach a few in the medical field,but why was the government not doing it?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I am soooo messed up in the head today.....
    [video=youtube;9Gc4QTqslN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gc4QTqslN4[/video]

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Italy is experiencing what happens when that is not the case.

Again my question remains.
    Is 6% of the US population dieing going to hurt us?
    The mathbi posted was 1% but that was just me taking the numbers and doing the math.

We lost 1% of our population during ww2.
    The earth lost 1% of its population during the 1918 spanish flu.
    I am googling but not sure I am finding numbers on ither disatuers and how much % of people we lost.

I guess what I am asking it at what point, %, wise can we not recover. If a man comes into hospital with 80% 3rd degree burns do you treat to save or treat to make comfortable.

Yes the answer depends on is it a single case or are you dealing with a large case, or 9/11 issue. If single yes you treat to save. If 9/11 well no cause the % is high he dies so move on to those you can save.

Same here I dont know what at % we are goners. 1% seems safe, your 6% maybe ok, 10% seems high to me but I dont know. I would think 50% is no way we reocver but have not seen any number that shows that.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    They are helping France.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/202...8reuters-health-coronavirus-france-china.html

chinese-billionaire-says-he-will-donate-one-million-face-masks-and-500000-coronavirus-testing-kits-to-the-us

https://www.channel3000.com/chinese...nd-500000-coronavirus-testing-kits-to-the-us/

Maybe if the US president stopped calling the COVID-19 the "chinese virus" more Chinese folks would be willing to help the US. :twocents:

Then this is new... as recently as a day or two ago, the Chinese Communist government had a BAN on any masks leaving China.

Looking for the articles I read days ago, IIRC the world, mainly US and EU, sent 40 million masks to help when this was a Wuhan crisis.

So they're sending you a million and us a million? 2 million! Woohoo!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    They are helping France.

It would have been more helpful to give the world its actual numbers, instead of lying about them and covering the virus up.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    "I guess what I am asking it at what point, %, wise can we not recover. If a man comes into hospital with 80% 3rd degree burns do you treat to save or treat to make comfortable."

World got down to 8 people in a boat at one point.
    Treat to save or treat to make comfortable? Poor guy is going to lose his mind either way.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Where did you get that number from

INGO estimates.

This is the reason I posted more than a month and a half ago I thought the death rate from this would be 10% or more.
    They where doing so little testing compared to the rest of the world. If cases had been caught early and contract tracing
    of those cases succeeded we would not be in the position we are now.

We are in a bad situation. I hope it does not get to my worse case. Already so much has not been done that should have.

We had months to prepare our medical system. That time was largely wasted. I did reach a few in the medical field,but why was the government not doing it?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I don’t want a country with no old people. Our old people are our most valuable assets, they have the knowledge and experience, as well as work ethic. Our country would collapse if it were ran by the panty waste young people we have now days.

Thank you! I don't want my grandbabies to grow up without ever really knowing me. We grew up with grandparents nearby, my paternal grandma came over from Scotland when she was 26, I wish I had listened to more of her stories before she passed.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    INGO estimates.

Back when I posted that my numbers where based on 80% infected(Harvard study) and the 3.4% death rate posted for over 2 months in every report by the World Health Organization.Which stated over and over that without adequate hospital beds,ventilators,and medical personnel the death rate would be much higher. The WHO also a few
    weeks in to Italy's now sever crisis used them as an example when they had a 8.9% death rate...an example of what could happen if your hospital system was not prepared.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom