• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    exactly, they will just add a line or two to the dept. SOP and call it a day. Even then, just because somebody gets $$$ does not mean the dept. thinks they did anything wrong, they might change nothing, and somebody walks away with $40 millin in taxpayer money, not the ABC's money. Im glad some of the INGOlibbers are not in charge of our national fiscal policy. While I agree we waste alot of money on stupid stuff, writing million dollar checks to people because a cop looked at them "crosswayz" is a joke.

Is that what's happening here in this case?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    how can it "really hurt"? It's not like it's a business or anything? It's taxpayer money, not their own money that is getting paid out. They will just raise/create more taxes and everybody loses.

While I'd much rather see the money come from pension funds I'll take what we can get. At the $40 million level, someone will lose their jobs and that's about the best we can hope for. If enough taxpayer money gets diverted that's money they can't spend on harassing innocent people.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's a government agency. The payout has to be made to really hurt, otherwise they learn absolutely nothing. A few grand is chump change to people like that.

Yeah, I don't think that a 40M fine is going to teach any govt agency anything. Like others have said, govt agencies aren't like private business and won't react the same way. It's entirely possible that a big fine could have the opposite effect and make things worse than they were before. By causing a house-cleaning in which they will almost surely throw out the good with the bad and by concentrating on making the appearance, as much as possible, of change while being completely blind to what is good or what is bad in that department.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    While I'd much rather see the money come from pension funds I'll take what we can get. At the $40 million level, someone will lose their jobs and that's about the best we can hope for. If enough taxpayer money gets diverted that's money they can't spend on harassing innocent people.

It doesn't work that way either. Think of it this way.

Let's say that you are a really bad driver and you accidentally drove through your neighbor's hedge on your way home from work. The neighborhood gets together and they fine you 50 dollars with the intent that you'll have less money for gas to destroy hedges. Well, you're most likely to take that money out of you're laundry budget than your gas budget, and the end result is that you will drive just as much as before, except that your underwear will be dirty and you'll have an axe to grind with your neighbors.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

time and time again on INGO we hear from people who think lawsuits for cash are the only answer to protect "dur reits"...OC a shotgun at the mall at the low ready and get questioned by LE? sue! Showing off your new SBR at the zoo and get asked to leave? sue! sue sue sue! you can't sue away the .gov

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

So if I sued your employer for a wrong, you would be comfortable giving up your 401k? These "settlements" are simply taxpayer money diverted into someones pocket. Maybe you and some like minded folks would rather bear the cost of these suits since your so supportive

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Maybe cops should have to purchase and maintain law enforcement malpractice insurance?

Maybe they should have to buy permits to be cops. Screw up like this and have the Permit revoked, lose job, pay damages out of pocket, and do community service in a bright pink jump suit.
    I can see NO excuse for this behavior and lack of professionalism.
    Damage control statement? You've be a moron to go along with that thinking or even believe anything they're shoveling out to justify the gross incompetence.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So if I sued your employer for a wrong, you would be comfortable giving up your 401k? These "settlements" are simply taxpayer money diverted into someones pocket. Maybe you and some like minded folks would rather bear the cost of these suits since your so supportive

What's your answer? You come on EVERY time someone mentions a lawsuit and crab about how it's just taxpayer money and won't affect anything. Should we remove qualified immunity from cops so they can go to jail for violating civil rights? Fire them on the spot? It seems that you also don't like the cops to be personally financially liable for their actions (no pension fund jeopardy) so what's the answer? Let's hear it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It would certainly force a change in attitude and a correction of the offending asshats. LE, of all stripes have no real skin in the game when they do something wrong. All too often we see them walk away smiling and high fiving each other after they've been shown to be king sized douche bags, as was the case with this young woman. It's highly doubtful that, even with a huge payout, anything will be done to the tools who harassed her and falsely arrested her. I'd also be comfortable with the payment coming from garnishment of wages of the entire agency to cover the payout. If any private business had screwed up as badly as these LE tools did, (or others often do) the screw up would be fired. We don't see that very often where government actors are concerned.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What's your answer? You come on EVERY time someone mentions a lawsuit and crab about how it's just taxpayer money and won't affect anything. Should we remove qualified immunity from cops so they can go to jail for violating civil rights? Fire them on the spot? It seems that you also don't like the cops to be personally financially liable for their actions (no pension fund jeopardy) so what's the answer? Let's hear it.
    I'd love to see qualified immunity go away. Give them the same skin in the game that private businesses have. No-one should be immune for their bad actions. Especially LE. They can, and have ruined more than a few innocent lives.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    exactly, they will just add a line or two to the dept. SOP and call it a day. Even then, just because somebody gets $$$ does not mean the dept. thinks they did anything wrong, they might change nothing, and somebody walks away with $40 millin in taxpayer money, not the ABC's money. Im glad some of the INGOlibbers are not in charge of our national fiscal policy. While I agree we waste alot of money on stupid stuff, writing million dollar checks to people because a cop looked at them "crosswayz" is a joke.

time and time again on INGO we hear from people who think lawsuits for cash are the only answer to protect "dur reits"...OC a shotgun at the mall at the low ready and get questioned by LE? sue! Showing off your new SBR at the zoo and get asked to leave? sue! sue sue sue! you can't sue away the .gov

That didn't answer the question I asked. Are we, in this case, writing someone a million dollar check because "a cop looked at them crosswayz"?

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

Are we to take this to mean you advocate letting government run rampant in the streets doing as they please without any penalty?

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    And you gents think these clowns aren't gonna kick down your doors and take your guns, when it isn't safe to walk across the parking lot with a six pack of water. As some old geezer used to say on the radio WAKE UP AMERICA!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It would certainly force a change in attitude and a correction of the offending asshats. LE, of all stripes have no real skin in the game when they do something wrong. All too often we see them walk away smiling and high fiving each other after they've been shown to be king sized douche bags, as was the case with this young woman. It's highly doubtful that, even with a huge payout, anything will be done to the tools who harassed her and falsely arrested her. I'd also be comfortable with the payment coming from garnishment of wages of the entire agency to cover the payout. If any private business had screwed up as badly as these LE tools did, (or others often do) the screw up would be fired. We don't see that very often where government actors are concerned.

But did they yell booya!

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County

I like the idea of having all of their fellow officers (agents) join in the punishment, like sometimes happens in the military. Corporal A$$hat F*^&$ up and the whole platoon has to do PT or whatever. Then the rest of the platoon will see that Corporal A$$hat pays the price so he doesn't FU again.

So, here the whole department gets to help pay the settlement (or part of ) that was caused by the goon squad. Even Administration. THAT might help send the message to the right places. And be more effective too. But I don't ever see anything like that happening. So we are back the square one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First, a multi-million dollar settlement for a person that spent a few hours in jail is stupid. Secondly, if such IS paid, whose pocket does it come out of? The PD? Yeah, that's even more dumb. The city? Epically dumb. If you're going to go after somebody, it should rest firmly on the officer that messed up, and whatever means he has to pay for his FU. However, it should be noted that if this did happen to an officer acting in "good faith," without qualified immunity, look to less officers "acting" at all.

Top Bottom