• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    When LEO's perform their duties in such a fashion as to trigger complete legal defense's to fleeing from them, it is on them. There was nothing illegal about her trying to drive away as long as she reasonably believed them not to be cops. From the circumstance here, which were purely generated by the way the cops were acting, I don't see how she wouldn't reasonably believe she was being jacked.

You saying that a citizen getting treated this way when she has done nothing but buy water is not getting "screwed over" explains why alot of people have hostility toward LEO's and that is a crying shame.

It reminds me of when Carmel PD was on the news saying that that mom could have been charged with resist vehicle when the cop trying to pull her over didn't have a functioning lightbar... Apparently they didn't bother to read the statute which defines an emergency vehicle as having to have fuctioning emergency lights. At the end of the day, the average citizen doesn't even really care about that, they care about how they are being treated.

Self serving jackassery by LEO's is really the reason alot of citizens don't like them and that pisses me right off. There is no need or call for it and it helps no one. All it does is paint all LEO's as jackasses and that is a crying shame.

I recently was hanging around during the voir dire portion of felony jury trial where the biggest obstacle the state had to overcome was that at least 40% of the jury pool had been treated like crap on the side of the road during infraction stops.... True criminals potentially walk free because some cops can't be bothered to treat citizens who had had the temerity to speed with even basic respect.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a lot of respect for our LEO's. But the actions of a few can sure make it harder for the good ones to do their job and get the respect that they deserve. And make it harder to get convictions sometimes it seems. And any cop that acts like a back alley Rambp to arrest a young girl for buying water and ice cream after employing substandard observational skills, deserves to have his foot run over AND his paycheck docked. Sorry, that's how I see it.

And let's not forget that she called 911 as she was leaving (fleeing) trying to verify if they were in fact officers and was headed to a police station. She thought she was being jacked. (no doubt bolstered by the uber professional actions of the JBT that thought it was cool to jump on the hood of her car like in the movies). And even police departments and Sheriff's have advised women to not stop, call 911 and find a cop of they think they are being jacked by imposters with badges or fake police cars. In all likelihood given the facts and the local Prosecutor course of action that is what was happening. The excise jerks were just pissed that she didn't just roll over and submit so they tried to land the heavy hand of the JBT to prove a point. These types of individual have my eternal disdain.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    attachment.php

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    First, a multi-million dollar settlement for a person that spent a few hours in jail is stupid. Secondly, if such IS paid, whose pocket does it come out of? The PD? Yeah, that's even more dumb. The city? Epically dumb. If you're going to go after somebody, it should rest firmly on the officer that messed up, and whatever means he has to pay for his FU.
    The agency didn't see the incident as a problem. They backed their valiant beverage enforcers and stood by the 3X felony charges against the girl. This was model police work as far as they were concerned. This disgrace was absolutely a reflection of the whole agency and the state.

Maybe in the rare cases when the department rejects the behavior of its agents, we can brush it off as just an individual... a bad apple. When they circle the wagons and stand by the abuses, then the whole corrupt machine deserves to be clobbered.

However, it should be noted that if this did happen to an officer acting in "good faith," without qualified immunity, look to less officers "acting" at all.
    Beginning with letting people shop for groceries without harassment... :woot:

Probably, but $40 million dollars in taxpayer money tosomebody for something like that is far more disturbing and disgusting.
    Almost as disgusting as parasitic beverage enforcement agencies leeching hundreds of millions off the taxpayers annually...

0$, she was not "screwed over", she tried to drive away from law enforcment who were conducting an investigation in performance of their offical duties.
    Ha.. Destro says job well done. These annoying "reits" are worth zero dollars.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    ETA: Of all the officers here, do you ever ask "What'd Officer Snuffy do this time?" when responding to an officer down call or do you go straight into the "I'm going to get this mother****er!" mode?

Neither. We get it into the, "Get there and help my down brother/sister." mode. Helping them is the only thing on our minds. Officer down is the worst call that can come over the radio. Nothing worse than hearing your friend is down. We call it "Code 1" over the radio. Now when I hear "resistor" over the radio, some officers calling that out will get the, "What did they get them selves into now?"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When LEO's perform their duties in such a fashion as to trigger complete legal defense's to fleeing from them, it is on them. There was nothing illegal about her trying to drive away as long as she reasonably believed them not to be cops. From the circumstance here, which were purely generated by the way the cops were acting, I don't see how she wouldn't reasonably believe she was being jacked.

You saying that a citizen getting treated this way when she has done nothing but buy water is not getting "screwed over" explains why alot of people have hostility toward LEO's and that is a crying shame.

It reminds me of when Carmel PD was on the news saying that that mom could have been charged with resist vehicle when the cop trying to pull her over didn't have a functioning lightbar... Apparently they didn't bother to read the statute which defines an emergency vehicle as having to have fuctioning emergency lights.
    At the end of the day, the average citizen doesn't even really care about that, they care about how they are being treated.

Self serving jackassery by LEO's is really the reason alot of citizens don't like them and that pisses me right off. There is no need or call for it and it helps no one. All it does is paint all LEO's as jackasses and that is a crying shame.

I recently was hanging around during the voir dire portion of felony jury trial where the biggest obstacle the state had to overcome was that at least 40% of the jury pool had been treated like crap on the side of the road during infraction stops.... True criminals potentially walk free because some cops can't be bothered to treat citizens who had had the temerity to speed with even basic respect.

Yeah, you got a link to that claim? 'Because that is absolutely false. It was decided, on scene, that since the lightbar didn't work that RLE didn't apply, even though the wighwags and siren were functional.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    0$, she was not "screwed over", she tried to drive away from law enforcment who were conducting an investigation in performance of their offical duties.

Lol. Their official duties involve investigating water purchases in plain clothes?

That's some fine policework boys. - Chief Wiggum.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What of the legal fees of those arrested and later found innocent? Who pays for those? Certainly not the arresting officers.
    My job is to arrest with PC. If they are later found innocent that is beyond my control or care. However, if I arrest w/o PC, then yes...the arresting officer will pay. Qualified immunity will not protect them. Now having said that, most lawsuits don't want officers' money. Many officers have more debt than assests or those assets are not in the officers' names to shield them from this. Lawyers want the city's money, they have access to deep pockets, instantly.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Yeah, you got a link to that claim? 'Because that is absolutely false. It was decided, on scene, that since the lightbar didn't work that RLE didn't apply, even though the wighwags and siren were functional.

I have no doubt that is what you guys decided on the scene; I'm talking about what your spokesman said in the news conference.

Carmel PD's spokesman said it on the news when they were in damage control mode. I'm pretty sure I can find at least reference to it because I remember discussing it on here.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The whole thing is irritating. How hard is it to just have an undercover walk by the counter to see what's actually being purchased? Presumably they had a reason to believe this girl was there to buy alcohol since they didn't jump everyone exiting the store. On one hand I think an enormous settlement is ridiculous but on the other hand sometimes it takes something like that to get someone's attention.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/110795-carmel-police-2.html#post1326366

Here is a link to where the news broadcast was referenced 3.5 years ago. I personally watched it and remember how ticked off it made me when CPD's spokesman was playing it off like they were being all benevolent by not charging her with felony resist. If you don't believe me, pull your press conference and see what was said. I watched your guy say it on the news and posted about it the next day.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have no doubt that is what you guys decided on the scene; I'm talking about what your spokesman said in the news conference.

Carmel PD's spokesman said it on the news when they were in damage control mode. I'm pretty sure I can find at least reference to it because I remember discussing it on here.

I have no idea what the spokesman said, but given who he is, and the situation, there's no need for damage control. The light bar didn't work, it was daytime, so the officer had no idea the lights weren't working. There's nothing sinister about the situation. Sure, it sucks, but I think most people could understand the confusion involved with a mechanical issue.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I have no idea what the spokesman said, but given who he is, and the situation, there's no need for damage control. The light bar didn't work, it was daytime, so the officer had no idea the lights weren't working. There's nothing sinister about the situation. Sure, it sucks, but I think most people could understand the confusion involved with a mechanical issue.

If you have no idea what your spokesman said, why did you accuse me of saying something "absolutely false"? My post explicitly referenced what was said on the news.

Top Bottom