Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    No offense taken. I'm the one that said it, so it would be very pusillanimous (there's that word again) of me to get butt-hurt when somebody grabs the ball I hand them and runs with it.

I said before. I can take the heat I bring on myself.
    Boy you sure throw that P word around an awful lot :):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nope I have met jbombelli. Pretty sure he is half a jerk. :D I kid, I kid.

Funny thing is I have also met J706 and these two would probably get along if a 6 pack were involved.

I get along with most people, actually. Until the conversation gets into a discussion of our rights. Most people don't agree with my literal interpretation. i get mean and unforgiving about that, and I have a long memory.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Boy you sure throw that P word around an awful lot :):

pusillanimous - lacking courage and resolution : marked by contemptible timidity

I had to look it up. Big word. I have always just called people like that a P***Y.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I get along with most people, actually. Until the conversation gets into a discussion of our rights. Most people don't agree with my literal interpretation. i get mean and unforgiving about that, and I have a long memory.

Here I'm trying my best at comic relief. I am going to go wax my cat or at least my bike.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I appreciate the kind words, but be careful not to make me guilty by association. :): I ain't no pig, and I don't need no stinkin badge! :laugh:

I can actually understand and defend the professional courtesy. I see stuff at work that I don't agree with but that does not mean I run to my boss and tell. Not a good way to maintain team spirt. Now what I don't agree with is a LEO letting another in their profession get away with blatantly criminal behavior like excessive speeding, drunk driving, domestic violence, etc. I also don't like it when my friends do things like speed and just assume they won't get a ticket because they are LEOs. Honestly LEOs should be held to a higher standard as they are often role models.

I assume that when you say you don't write tickets you are referring to stuff like driving 5 MPH over or jaywalking and not wreckless driving.

The professional courtesy thing only goes so far. Crimes and PC do not go hand in hand. Domestic Battery and other crimes is a whole different matter. One would be wise to not risk their reputation and career over the intentional actions of anyone including LEO's.

I also know fellow LEO's that think they can drive at mach 5 any time they want. I disagree with doing that 100%. I won't sit here and say I never speed. I will say that I never drive at a speed that I would write a ticket to another person for. I am in a marked car 98% of my time, even off duty. The problem with driving a marked car is that EVERYONE is watching EVERYTHING that you do. There is not any blending in.

I also think LEO's are in fact held to a higher standard. There are many places and things a citizen can go and do that I cannot. As I work for a smaller agency (25 guys) we are always in the spotlight and we have a very high standard of conduct. Things that large agency officers can do will get you fired where I work. People mare always looking and I keep that in mind with all of my daily activities.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    getalong.jpg

avalonbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ...to do an inspection on my new sailboat. It's a YFlyer, pretty nice boat. Anyways, I'm open-carrying as usual and the officer does his thing with the boat and then turns to me and says "How about next time an officer comes out to your house, you leave the pistol in the house." I tell him that "With all due respect sir, I am on private property." Then he says that he understands that, but "Someone carrying a gun makes an officer nervous." I told him thank you for the advice and have a nice day.

I'm saddened that the public and officers are so nervous at the idea of law-abiding people carrying. He was very professional, so no complaints there. He was simply offering his opinion.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this sad view that people have of gun owners?

As a former Reserve Officer I was more nervous at the idea of not knowing who had a gun when I rolled up on a scene. At least he knew you had one.
    If your in a state wear you can open carry in public or you are on your own property I say do it, carry it out. I believe we are all safer knowing where the guns are in that case.
    Next time tho if the officer ask you to not bring it out then ask him to put his back in his car trunk because his makes you nervous and see what he says's. He is on your property by your request ..
    :twocents:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The professional courtesy thing only goes so far. Crimes and PC do not go hand in hand. Domestic Battery and other crimes is a whole different matter. One would be wise to not risk their reputation and career over the intentional actions of anyone including LEO's.

I also know fellow LEO's that think they can drive at mach 5 any time they want. I disagree with doing that 100%. I won't sit here and say I never speed. I will say that I never drive at a speed that I would write a ticket to another person for. I am in a marked car 98% of my time, even off duty. The problem with driving a marked car is that EVERYONE is watching EVERYTHING that you do. There is not any blending in.

I also think LEO's are in fact held to a higher standard. There are many places and things a citizen can go and do that I cannot. As I work for a smaller agency (25 guys) we are always in the spotlight and we have a very high standard of conduct. Things that large agency officers can do will get you fired where I work. People mare always looking and I keep that in mind with all of my daily activities.

It's called "vicarious liability". In short, as a supervisor if I see one of the officers are excessively speeding and I don't say something (put it on paper) I can be held civily responsible if he has an accident and hurts someone. Like I touched on "put it on paper". The courts view it as if if was not wrote down, it didn't happen.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Not wanting to get anything started or pour fuel on any fires that are already burning, but why would you get on a gun site and start talking about what you do for a living? I don't talk about my profession, so I'm not subjecting myself to ridicule. Nothing against police, firemen, electricians, plumbers, cashiers, lawyers, stock boys, etc., you get my point, if we are on this site we probably are gun owners, that is the one common thread, what does it matter what you do for a living, so why brag about it, brag about the new gun you just bought, that's what this site is for, discuss gun related issues not what you do for a living.

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    Who BANNED Sgood ??? WHY ???

I am back......it was a complete misunderstanding about a post from last week before I knew, that i was supposed to do the purple sarasm thing....and a mod took what i said to be the truth instead of being in jest....it's all good.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I am back......it was a complete misunderstanding about a post from last week before I knew, that i was supposed to do the purple sarasm thing....and a mod took what i said to be the truth instead of being in jest....it's all good.

I glad you're still around, lots of :ingo: members have been banned:(

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    These threads have no point, although I think its funny watching grown men argue like kids over pretty much anything they can think of.

But in other news, did you guys hear Casey Anthony got off? Crazy I know.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Not wanting to get anything started or pour fuel on any fires that are already burning, but why would you get on a gun site and start talking about what you do for a living? I don't talk about my profession, so I'm not subjecting myself to ridicule. Nothing against police, firemen, electricians, plumbers, cashiers, lawyers, stock boys, etc., you get my point, if we are on this site we probably are gun owners, that is the one common thread, what does it matter what you do for a living, so why brag about it, brag about the new gun you just bought, that's what this site is for, discuss gun related issues not what you do for a living.
    It's easy to not talk about what you do when you only post 167 times.
    Wait till you get a couple thousand, and see if no one knows what you do for a living.

Top Bottom