Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Please then someone tell me that the loss of the five officers in Seattle wasn't a tragedy. Remember the ones starting their computers in a coffee shop gunned down by some half-wit.

Nobody EVER said it wasn't a tragedy. I'm just not going to say it was MORE of a tragedy simply because they were cops. Would it have been less tragic if they had been nuns? Or 5 kindergartners? Or 5 doctors? It would be just as tragic. No more, no less.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    POC, Not trying to put you down for what you do or how much you post. I hope you like your job. I used to like mine, but time changes everything. I like guns a lot, so much so that I was going to buy a gun store, but I didn't want my hobby to turn into a job. I for one don't dislike the police, don't really care about all of the bashing, my only point is, if you don't tell people what you do for a living, than they can't critize you for it. I understand pride, I'm proud of myself and my family what we do for a living.
    Well thanks. I don't currently have a job. But I'll always be a Nurse and a Firefighter.
    And an American. :patriot:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Officer.com is a dedicated LEO site. Some guys there bash certain people for whatever reason. This is a gun owners website and IMO is geared towards gun ownership not always kicking on anything and everything the police do. I happen to visit here because I love guns. If I wanted to be a part of a site that has tons of anti LEO views I would join felons.com or something.. Hopefully the mods will keep this site from going in that direction. I would say they have been doing a real good job of it the last week or so. Many other members feel the same as I do,LEO's or not.

If the mods wanted to be remotely fair then they would treat everyone equally and not give some people warnings or bans for speaking out when a cop screws up. However, there is a line to where people go from making truthful comments to just plain out insulting. Also, in that line you have little ground to stand on in most non LEO posters opinions anymore since you openly admit that you treat non LEO citizens to a different standard.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Typically those type of people are persons with criminal records or some other reason as to why they hate anything and everything LE. Perhaps you can explain it to me because I would really like to know.

I have to protest you a little on that one J. Though I agree that there are those in the world who are 'on a mission' to discredit Law Enforcement, I don't really think the folks here on INGO fit that bill. At least the ones that are still here. I think most are normal citizens who care very much about our Country and what it is becoming.
    I follow the LE threads all the time. I have a connection, having been in the ranks and I am very vocal about the abuses of power. I've even been known to post negative article or two. It's not because I hate cops, but the opposite. I respect the profession, however its been my experience that there are two basic personality types that gravitate to it. (this is by no means an all inclusive statement) One good, and one bad.
    The good? I see it in most of the Officers who frequent this site. They are the men and women who CARE. Who truly want to be a positive influence on society.
    The bad? We've all seen them, they are the ones that make the news. We've worked with them. They are the power addicts. The Identity Crisis "look at me" types who need the badge to prove to themselves and everyone else that they are important. We see that personality in every walk of life, but it's a dangerous combination when they end up in a position of authority such as LE.
    Even though I no longer work within the ranks, I took that oath and I will stand by it until the day that my last breath escapes into the atmosphere.
    Until then, I'll scream to the top of my lungs about bad practices, incorrect actions, unlawful 'laws', and those who abuse their authority.

I posted this once before in another thread (can't find it or I'd quote it) I was taught this a long time ago and, proudly, it is the filter that I look through.
    The Protect in Protect And Serve, first and foremost should always mean Protect the Constitution. To do this, an officer must know it. I was taught that the patrolman, that guy or gal that has the most contact with public, HAD to know the Constitution and believe in it. For if they did, their actions would be governed by it. If every officer out there did this, we'd all live in a better place. If every leader did their best to instill this, we'd have fewer bad policies and fewer laws that restrict freedoms.

Im not directing this at you, J706. Just that your statement kind of provided a step up to my soap box. :D

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    So, in your opinion, the people most worthy of hero worship must be coal miners, fly-riggers, and steel workers?

I'm not sure when we transitioned to hero worship, I must have missed that page. S'ok, though, I also missed the page where cops took the position that you described in your summary of the issue here. I'm a little old and slow, and miss many subtleties.

In any case, my grandfather was a coal miner, and one of my heroes. I would not, however, equate his choice of profession and his willingness to die for those he served as being the same as his other son (my uncle) who died as a soldier in Korea. By your standard, I think we'd all have to agree that the highest honor should go to the guy at the carnival who spins on the wheel while the bearded yak-woman is blindfolded and throws knives at him. Very dangerous, all for the public. But again, in my stilted view, not the same. Sure, it will be sad the day the yak-woman comes to work with one too many bloody marys and skewers him, but, IMO, different.

If the UPS driver dies when he knowingly, willingly drives his truck in front of an oncoming semi to protect a group of kids in the crosswalk, now you're talking about someone who has done something worthy of 'hero worship', IMO.

And on the original issue, I get really tired of all of this talk of 'respect'. Respect is something you earn, not something you demand. It can't be demanded, only given freely. All I expect, or ask for, is common courtesy of the type your mothers tried to teach you. I'll work on earning your respect later, if I care about you. Let's try to get to common courtesy first.

Last edited:

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    That's the funny thing. On a personal level, in off-duty situations, I've found MOST cops to be really fun people to hang out with. Some of the people I consider to be "friends" are really good cops, from what I can tell. Some others, also "friends" I just KNOW are not the sort of cop I appreciate. The sad part is that cops tend to hang out only with other cops, so we never get to see them when they are off-duty. The only time we encounter them, is when they are in uniform, and if there is any contact, they are suspicious and want to be "in charge."

Maybe we need a "take an off-duty cop to lunch" event.

OC or CC? :):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That's the funny thing. On a personal level, in off-duty situations, I've found MOST cops to be really fun people to hang out with. Some of the people I consider to be "friends" are really good cops, from what I can tell. Some others, also "friends" I just KNOW are not the sort of cop I appreciate. The sad part is that cops tend to hang out only with other cops, so we never get to see them when they are off-duty. The only time we encounter them, is when they are in uniform, and if there is any contact, they are suspicious and want to be "in charge."

Maybe we need a "take an off-duty cop to lunch" event.

Really not a bad idea. I spend a lot of time with LEOs because they are some of my oldest friends. I have noticed their other cop buddies are usually around as well. I think this profession becomes so much a part of their lives that they just can't let it go. All they can talk about is work. (nobody wants to listen to my work stories because they are not very exciting).

So if there is an off duty cop around Seymour, PM me and I will buy them lunch. We can talk guns but I don't want to hear about how you placed a jack boot across a little old lady's neck for jaywalking and not having her dog on a leash. (that last part was tongue in cheek but I can't do purple from the crackberry.)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Maybe "No C" so no one gets nervous. :D

Disclaimer:
    For those who don't understand the concept of humor.
    THIS IS A JOKE!!!! :)
    (Not aimed at you Flyguy)

If nobody is packing then we can get wings at B-dubs. Opps that is another thread.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Flip it around on him.

"Next time you are on someone's private property, in a place where no threat to your safety exists to inspect a sailboat, you could leave your weapon in your cruiser so you don't make the owner nervous."

If you're interested in serving you aren't out to make sure everyone else caters to your safety above their own, viewing people first as criminals and not law-abiding citizens.

Wow... Nicely put!

Top Bottom