Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Why do officers consider themselves like the military? They do realize they can quit there jobs whenever they want don't they? They are private citizens doing a dangerous job (which I appreciate). They always talk like they are some military like organization. When I read that a officers tour of duty has ended well sorry but he was not drafted and this is not Vietnam. You took a job and that is all. You are not above the law you do not make the laws. You go to work then go home. I have several friends that are officers and you would think they believe it is some secret brotherhood. Nope sorry it is a job. That most really like that is why they continue to do it. It is dangerous yes but other professions are actually more hazardous when you look at the number of deaths per year. Look at the mining industry or how about the construction worker, or the fisherman. Do you here any of these groups saying oh his tour of duty has ended. No just that a tragedy occurred that was probably preventable. I respect officers and the job they do but don't think you are high and mighty and gods gift to mankind.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Sorry but I don't care about just 2011 how about you look at the ISP website and look at there number of on duty deaths throughout the years from there inception. One years records don't mean much. I was mainly considering Indiana and a longer period.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Yup...

My Opinion...
    Never been a Cop...
    Never wanted to be a Cop...

Been a Soldier, though. I KNOW what an Ambush is from both sides of it. Doubt many Career LEOs have ever seen one... ;)
    The murdered LEO's have.
    Of course since YOU don't consider their deaths to be ambush situations I guess they just were unlucky.
    Right? :rolleyes:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Why do officers consider themselves like the military? They do realize they can quit there jobs whenever they want don't they? They are private citizens doing a dangerous job (which I appreciate). They always talk like they are some military like organization. When I read that a officers tour of duty has ended well sorry but he was not drafted and this is not Vietnam. You took a job and that is all. You are not above the law you do not make the laws. You go to work then go home. I have several friends that are officers and you would think they believe it is some secret brotherhood. Nope sorry it is a job. That most really like that is why they continue to do it. It is dangerous yes but other professions are actually more hazardous when you look at the number of deaths per year. Look at the mining industry or how about the construction worker, or the fisherman. Do you here any of these groups saying oh his tour of duty has ended. No just that a tragedy occurred that was probably preventable. I respect officers and the job they do but don't think you are high and mighty and gods gift to mankind.

I wish I had writen this!!!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Sorry but I don't care about just 2011 how about you look at the ISP website and look at there number of on duty deaths throughout the years from there inception. One years records don't mean much. I was mainly considering Indiana and a longer period.
    OK
    I won't bother you with the facts any more.
    You're mind's made up, like many others, and nothing I can say, or do, will change your lowly opinion of Law Enforcement Officers.
    Carry on children.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I've been shot at 4 times, all in my first year. Twice I was in my car and had no idea where they came from. It's not fun. I've been stabbed at and have been hit by one car and chased down the highway by another. Tactics are essential while working. Things have gotton a lot worse over the years. I have seen at least 4 officers who have been shot in the line of duty (each survived). I also bought a patrol rifle thinking it would be a good investment. It is now in my front seat every day. I have also gone through 3 balistic vests. Please, don't tell me about police tactics. I haven't read over the complete thread (yet). If you don't set a pattern, you won't survive. Also, I haven't seen any officers killed in accidents.

I am also a firm believer of gun ownership of the public. I know that the PDs need to be more understanding, involved and educated but their main concern is going home at night.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Officers are nervous because 38 of them have been murdered so far this year by gunfire.
    He didn't know you personally and had no way of knowing if you were a decent guy, or someone who called an LEO to his house with the intention of ambushing him.
    (Yup, that's happened this year.)
    Sounds like he was professional, and courteous, and you acted politely and without provocation. :yesway:

I still dont get the concept of LE being wary of OCing. At least they can SEE the gun. Logically, I would think someone who is wearing enough baggy clothes that you cant TELL they are armed, would be more un-nerving.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I've been shot at 4 times, all in my first year. Twice I was in my car and had no idea where they came from. It's not fun. I've been stabbed at and have been hit by one car and chased down the highway by another. Tactics are essential while working. Things have gotton a lot worse over the years. I have seen at least 4 officers who have been shot in the line of duty (each survived). I also bought a patrol rifle thinking it would be a good investment. It is now in my front seat every day. I have also gone through 3 balistic vests. Please, don't tell me about police tactics. I haven't read over the complete thread (yet). If you don't set a pattern, you won't survive. Also, I haven't seen any officers killed in accidents.

I am also a firm believer of gun ownership of the public. I know that the PDs need to be more understanding, involved and educated but their main concern is going home at night.
    everybody elses main concern is going home at night too. who would of thunk. and nervous or scared leos greatly diminish that chance. if you really think everybody is out to kill you and the the thin blue line gang are your only friends maybe a career change or psych eval is in order.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    You won't bother with the facts because you can find facts to prove either side that's why just posting a a interwebz link as you called it of what you consider to be the facts don't work. Everything is open to interpretation. Also I dont believe I am a child just because we all can prove our own facts. To the officer that has been attacked and seen others hurt but no accident deaths look at your agency you work for. Are you on the interstate where your chances of being killed in an accident is greater? Are you in a big city where you encounter more violent felons or are you in mayberry? All of these items play into ones risks and perceptions of risk. Again it is a dangerous job and thank you for filling it. I would wonder based off the OP was the officer you encountered from a big city or the country bet you will get varying opinions from different type of departments. Look at conservation officers which I know some city cops think they are a joke just like some city cops hate the school police or park rangers. But conservation officers approach individuals open carrying all the time but you don't hear about them being ambushed by these people who are open carrying. It is the environment you are in a and again no matter if a officer or not we should all be aware of our surroundings and who is armed and who is not.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I still dont get the concept of LE being wary of OCing. At least they can SEE the gun. Logically, I would think someone who is wearing enough baggy clothes that you cant TELL they are armed, would be more un-nerving.

Give it time. This is something very new. We are not use to seeing people with guns in a peaceful environment. 98% of the people we run into that have guns don't need them, hell I wouldn't trust them with a toothpick. "UncleMike" has a lot of valid reasoning.

Had a two time convicted felon last night dig up a gun from the front yard to kill himself. He knew he wasn't suppose to have one but he did (several). Fourth round eventually went off. He isn't dead but he isn't very good shape.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    everybody elses main concern is going home at night too. who would of thunk. and nervous or scared leos greatly diminish that chance. if you really think everybody is out to kill you and the the thin blue line gang are your only friends maybe a career change or psych eval is in order.

I don't think that everyone is out to kill me. If I am parinoid to that extreem, I need to quit. I've conversed many a time with people that I have locked up with no ill feelings towards them. I have no ill feelings with people who post negative responses, it is a free country. I do or can recognize (mostly) a person who probably has a license versus one who doesn't. Does that lower my anxiety level...a lot, but I still am an officer. I might check for the license but that might be it.

But now in my recent post, do I have the right to be tactically safe...you better believe it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Actually most officers lose there lives via car accidents and such. Shootings are down there a ways. Also I believe the whole unprovoked attack part is a little loose of a definition for ambush. As far as what most consider to be an ambush. Not saying it is right but I bet most people who attack an officer do not feel it is unprovoked. Us on the outside may see it that way but I bet the person doing the attacking feels he was provoked in some way by the officers actions.
    Well, lets see here. Just in Indy, I have had 2 of my friends shot/killed, and 3 of my friends shot, one in the vest (no harm), 2 in the head, one lost an eye, and the 3rd lost his ability to live independently. When Jason was killed, he was chasing a car load armed criminals. They were able to stop around a corner and wait for him to turn the corner in his car. They were armed with semi-auto AK's. Jason came around the corner and they shot him in the face. That sounds like an ambush. Dave on the other hand, the nice old man got out of his car to talk to him and shot Dave while he was trying talk to him. Not sure if that meets the hard definition of ambush or maybe the spirit. :dunno:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Well, lets see here. Just in Indy, I have had 2 of my friends shot/killed, and 3 of my friends shot, one in the vest (no harm), 2 in the head, one lost an eye, and the 3rd lost his ability to live independently. When Jason was killed, he was chasing a car load armed criminals. They were able to stop around a corner and wait for him to turn the corner in his car. They were armed with semi-auto AK's. Jason came around the corner and they shot him in the face. That sounds like an ambush. Dave on the other hand, the nice old man got out of his car to talk to him and shot Dave while he was trying talk to him. Not sure if that meets the hard definition of ambush or maybe the spirit. :dunno:
    You have my sympathy. You call a spade, a spade. An ambush, an ambush. One of my first training officers was driving down the road and received a shot to the car on the right side. The plan was when he stopped several guys on the left side would finish him. The good part for him (I guess) was he was hit, drove six blocks and hit a telephone pole.

You stay safe

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

No pshch eval needed. Most people drive into a convenience store for the "half gallon of milk" and what do they see? LEOs go on or past the perspective to see who's there, who's hanging around, cars in the lot, is the cashier in distress.

It's not for being paranoid, it's a fact of life. I've known more than one officer who has walked into a robbery. Maybe it's the general citizen who feels paranoid. They walk into a store with their gun neetly tucked away and I walk in with a big bulls eye on.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I can't believe there are adults here that are whining about "ambushes".

Can we all just agree that BOTH soldiers and LEOs get into dangerous situations?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    First off, from what the OP stated, the LEO was not being a prick. It's not like he disarmed him and made him go prone in hand cuffs. The OP did nothing wrong, and neither did the Officer. I did not know it was illegal for an Officer to show concern for his own safety. Yes, not everyone that owns a gun is a responsible law abiding citizen, amazing right? No ones rights where infringed on. Let me ask you all a question though. Have you ever worn the shoes of a LEO. If not, why are you so quick to always pass judgment? I have been in their shoes. I learned to treat everyone with respect, as long as they showed me the same, and to never let your guard down. We should call site the official cop bashing association of Indiana.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I can't believe there are adults here that are whining about "ambushes".

Can we all just agree that BOTH soldiers and LEOs get into dangerous situations?

I can agree 100%. But I have to give credit to our soldiers. They are stuck in a foreign country for a year at a time. God bless them.

Top Bottom