Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I'm still reading posts, but here are my responses so far.
    -I was not seeking a reaction of any type, I open carry 90% of the time when able to do so, and conceal carry the other 10%. Around the farm I always open carry, more comfortable that way. I was not waiting for the officer, I was inside reading a book, actually, when I saw him pull in the drive. Why would I suddenly conceal my handgun to come out to meet him? I have nothing to hide.
    -He was not insulting in any fashion, I do believe in retrospect that he was thinking more along the lines of the ambushes that occasionally do happen, and while I will not alter my carry state for future visits, I will factor that understanding in.
    -As was mentioned previously, I needed him to come inspect my boat so I could register it. I just bought it, and was having it transferred to my name.

-I definantly agree with the idea that if more people would OC, then it would become more commonplace and not be such a problem for people.

-I thought about wearing my speedo, but figured the officer would want to come inside with me when we were done with the boat, but I am not in the habit of letting strangers in my house...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm still reading posts, but here are my responses so far.
    -I was not seeking a reaction of any type, I open carry 90% of the time when able to do so, and conceal carry the other 10%. Around the farm I always open carry, more comfortable that way. I was not waiting for the officer, I was inside reading a book, actually, when I saw him pull in the drive. Why would I suddenly conceal my handgun to come out to meet him? I have nothing to hide.
    -He was not insulting in any fashion, I do believe in retrospect that he was thinking more along the lines of the ambushes that occasionally do happen, and while I will not alter my carry state for future visits, I will factor that understanding in.
    -As was mentioned previously, I needed him to come inspect my boat so I could register it. I just bought it, and was having it transferred to my name.

-I definantly agree with the idea that if more people would OC, then it would become more commonplace and not be such a problem for people.

-I thought about wearing my speedo, but figured the officer would want to come inside with me when we were done with the boat, but I am not in the habit of letting strangers in my house...

What about in the boat?

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Let me give you my take on open carry and why I choose not to. As I originally stated, I feel that the presence of a civilian carrying a gun puts most people on edge, (it's not the norm). If I were in a bank, conveinence store, etc. and some bad guy walks in, gun in hand and wants to rob the place, I don't want him to know that I have a gun until the moment is right. If he sees a gun, the thought of being killed or going to prison may be enough to send him over the edge, who do you think his first target is? Element of suprise is now gone, your only hope is a shootout, his gun is already drawn, wish I would have kept it concealed.
    Back to the original post, if the officer negativly commented on the presence of a gun while he was on the gentlemans property, the officer was wrong, but I would not have intentionally set that scenario up for it to be commented on.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Let me give you my take on open carry and why I choose not to. As I originally stated, I feel that the presence of a civilian carrying a gun puts most people on edge, (it's not the norm). If I were in a bank, conveinence store, etc. and some bad guy walks in, gun in hand and wants to rob the place, I don't want him to know that I have a gun until the moment is right. If he sees a gun, the thought of being killed or going to prison may be enough to send him over the edge, who do you think his first target is? Element of suprise is now gone, your only hope is a shootout, his gun is already drawn, wish I would have kept it concealed.
    Back to the original post, if the officer negativly commented on the presence of a gun while he was on the gentlemans property, the officer was wrong, but I would not have intentionally set that scenario up for it to be commented on.

There are two schools of thought on this. One school is what you stated, that OC'ing makes one a target. Another school of thought is that OC'ing is a deterrent. Unfortunately, there is no way to actually measure which one is correct, because it is hard to prove that a crime would have happened were the detering person not carrying. I happen to think that criminals generally target the easy, soft victims. Why go for the 9mm porcupine when you can have the soft, squishy sheep? CC'ing is just as likely to make you a target if you want to use that argument. I'm not saying you are wrong, just disagreeing.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Can you elaborate a little or tell me where I can find this ambush story? Thanks
    I doubt it was on a vin check!

I didn't have a problem with your " opinion" in the first four sentences, but your use of the word " OFTEN", as if it's a fact, is totally out of place! I am not doubting that there have been case(s) of "ambush", but I sure don't believe that such " ambushes"(sp.) are common or "often".

It is as much in place as it was when UncleMike used it.... ;)
    Here ya go kids.
    Officer Moore was one.
    Moore's Shooting Recalls Past Violence Against Officers - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Also in this article are references to a few more Officer shootings.

When you're done with that, providing you actually take the time to read it, you can start here with the Officers killed this year and then go back several decades.
    Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2011

Most LEO shootings are ambush situations because criminals are, by nature, cowards.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    There are two schools of thought on this. One school is what you stated, that OC'ing makes one a target. Another school of thought is that OC'ing is a deterrent. Unfortunately, there is no way to actually measure which one is correct, because it is hard to prove that a crime would have happened were the detering person not carrying. I happen to think that criminals generally target the easy, soft victims. Why go for the 9mm porcupine when you can have the soft, squishy sheep? CC'ing is just as likely to make you a target if you want to use that argument. I'm not saying you are wrong, just disagreeing.
    Yes there is a way to measure it. LEO's open carry and I have not heard a lot about cops being shot because they were at the gas station when the bad guy walked inside. Bad guy sees armed person which is detrimental to their plans and waits for the threat to go away.:twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yes there is a way to measure it. LEO's open carry and I have not heard a lot about cops being shot because they were at the gas station when the bad guy walked inside. Bad guy sees armed person which is detrimental to their plans and waits for the threat to go away.:twocents:

Hey thats a really good point. Most criminals don't want consequences either. That's why I Open Carry 8 .45 caliber consequences with 8 more if I need them :rockwoot:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Read my previous post and check out the links.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Well walking out with it in your holster and walking up to him is not a very good ambush that's probably why the officer didn't really feel threatened he just stated his opinion. By being curteous as the op posted he was is the best way for us to overcome these concerns. Everyone not just officers should always be on the look out for these situations and always be alert.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Well walking out with it in your holster and walking up to him is not a very good ambush that's probably why the officer didn't really feel threatened he just stated his opinion. By being duets us as the op posted isnthe best way for us to overcome these concerns. Everyone not just officers should always be on the look out for these situations and always be alert.

Yeah an ambush is when a semi-auto rifle start spitting lead, & you don't know where it's coming from:D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Read my previous post and check out the links.
    the very first thing is Officer Fishburn chasing someone. Not him standing in line at a gas station. Two others were traffic stops and yes they were ambushed. My point is more to the being in a public place OC. If I am in my car no one could see me OC. A person walking around OC is a known threat to a bad guy and probably will be avoided. How often has a LEO been taken out by a bad guy in a bank, gas station, grocery store, etc...because someone was going to rob it?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I would not call the officer Moore shooting a ambush. A ambush is laying in wait and attacking someone. I can not remember the deputy name about 10 years ago but he was killed in an ambush by a guy with a rifle when they stopped and waited for the officer to come thru the intersection and opened fire. Officer moores death was a tragedy but the guy did not wait for him unsuspecting to shoot him. He was pulled over and just opened fire. He did not lay in wait. There is difference. Also OC was safer for the officer than cc as at least he knew the gentleman had a gun.

Top Bottom