Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Back on topic are there any LEO's on here that carry at home 24/7 and if so same scenario would you leave in the house? Just curious.

Yeah, I usually don't OC, unless I'm working but, if I knew the police were coming to my home I would put my gun away. I know it's my "right" to keep my gun on but, I would put it away as a show of respect.

Kinda like taking off your shoes when you enter someone's home.

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

Since 1985, police have murdered nearly 400 innocent people. Soldiers get shot at every day. Do they offer their opinion that Iraqis shouldn't keep AKs in their homes? Until Police Officers start walking around unarmed, they need to keep their stupid mouths shut about We The People keeping and bearing arms out in public, let alone on our own **** property. After all, how do we know they aren't going to murder us, like they did those other nearly 400 innocent victims?

:dunno:

Burglaries statistics - countries compared - Nation Master
    Assaults statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster
    Auto theft statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Crime
    Rapes statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster
    Robberies statistics - Countries compared - NationMaster

I don't think anyone who open carries does it to make other people uncomfortable. I also have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who is "uncomfortable" with people open carrying, whilst they, themselves, are open carrying a firearm. :n00b:

Wow.

Here is a list of cops that have been killed since 1985.

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Officer List

-REP for the underlined, emboldened, italicized portion.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Yeah, I usually don't OC, unless I'm working but, if I knew the police were coming to my home I would put my gun away. I know it's my "right" to keep my gun on but, I would put it away as a show of respect.

Kinda like taking off your shoes when you enter someone's home.

Wow.

Kick I respect you as much as an internet forum can gain you from your posts but I am going to go ahead and point out that some of these were not killings but accidents just to make it clear.

Case in point as I haven't gone through all of them. Ralph Edward Zylka

I find that the argument you are fighting for though is lost upon whom your having it with, thats why I am calling it an argument instead of a discussion:twocents:

I do not disarm when the law comes a calling because usually if I have need of them based on my location it will be awhile before they get there and I have no actual timeline expectation.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I can agree 100%. But I have to give credit to our soldiers. They are stuck in a foreign country for a year at a time. God bless them.

No credit should be taken from them. They're awesome.

But, credit should also be given to LEO. Some have died in the line of duty. After all they are civilians. And they could back down and go home but they stay and take crap from bad people.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Kick I respect you as much as an internet forum can gain you from your posts but I am going to go ahead and point out that some of these were not killings but accidents just to make it clear.

Case in point as I haven't gone through all of them. Ralph Edward Zylka

I find that the argument you are fighting for though is lost upon whom your having it with, thats why I am calling it an argument instead of a discussion:twocents:

I do not disarm when the law comes a calling because usually if I have need of them based on my location it will be awhile before they get there and I have no actual timeline expectation.

Yeah, there are ways to search for "gunfire" or "auto accident" but no way to search "killed" so, those are all "line of duty deaths". Thanks for pointing that out.

For the not disarming, I usually do out of respect, it's just what I do. If I arrive at someone's home and they are carrying in their home, I don't really say anything to them.

With this one exception, I arrived on a burglar alarm, found the front door open. Made all of the announcements, tried to have dispatch call the home, and all of that to no avail. Made entry and started clearing the house. Found the homeowner downstairs in the basement, clearing his own house. Lucky for both of us, I have been there before and remembered him. He told me that he knew we would be coming so, he left the door open for us. After telling him various reasons that wasn't the best idea, we actually had a decent conversation about his 80 Series Combat Commander. He actually wanted to know if I would trade him for a Glock 19. If it wouldn't have been such a pain with the out of state paperwork, I would have bought a NEW Glock 19 and made the trade :laugh:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been shot at 4 times, all in my first year. Twice I was in my car and had no idea where they came from. It's not fun. I've been stabbed at and have been hit by one car and chased down the highway by another. Tactics are essential while working. Things have gotton a lot worse over the years. I have seen at least 4 officers who have been shot in the line of duty (each survived). I also bought a patrol rifle thinking it would be a good investment. It is now in my front seat every day. I have also gone through 3 balistic vests. Please, don't tell me about police tactics. I haven't read over the complete thread (yet). If you don't set a pattern, you won't survive. Also, I haven't seen any officers killed in accidents.

I am also a firm believer of gun ownership of the public. I know that the PDs need to be more understanding, involved and educated but their main concern is going home at night.

The pay isn't THAT good. I wouldn't do it if I didn't like it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why do officers consider themselves like the military? They do realize they can quit there jobs whenever they want don't they? They are private citizens doing a dangerous job (which I appreciate). They always talk like they are some military like organization. When I read that a officers tour of duty has ended well sorry but he was not drafted and this is not Vietnam. You took a job and that is all. You are not above the law you do not make the laws. You go to work then go home. I have several friends that are officers and you would think they believe it is some secret brotherhood. Nope sorry it is a job. That most really like that is why they continue to do it. It is dangerous yes but other professions are actually more hazardous when you look at the number of deaths per year. Look at the mining industry or how about the construction worker, or the fisherman. Do you here any of these groups saying oh his tour of duty has ended. No just that a tragedy occurred that was probably preventable. I respect officers and the job they do but don't think you are high and mighty and gods gift to mankind.

Firstly, it's called an "End of Watch" not "Tour of Duty."
    As for dangerous jobs, I freely admit that there are plenty of more risky professions. However, there is one major difference. Miners, construction workers, and fishermen do their jobs because it's their employment, and it puts food on their respective tables. With the exception of Construction workers, the others rarely take pride in the number of fish they caught, or how many barrels of oil they pumped. If they do, it's because they have a financial benefit from it. If they unfortunately meet their end in the course of their occupation, then somebody has probably made a mistake... certainly no one is targeting "Bob," for death, because he's a construction worker.
    Conversely, officers and firefighters place themselves purposefully at risk, not for themselves, or a financial benefit, but it is a serve to the public in general. There doesn't have to be a "mistake" for an officer to meet his untimely end, it can happen as he drives down the road, sits in a cafe drinking coffee, or while interacting with a less than law-abiding member of society.
    Another thing you are failing to consider is the number of officers injured vs killed. To give reference, our boys overseas have comparatively very few deaths, when compared to say Vietnam. However, when comparing injuries, our current conflicts far and away surpasses those who have been injured, and survived, versus that particular Southeast Asian conflict.
    Given that example, we can be thankful that medicine has come to the point where many more lives are being saved, but I think citing "deaths" as a sole factor, fails to illustrate the full story. For instance, in January of this year alone, 16 officers were shot by hostile gunfire, but of that number, only 10 died. That obviously can be applied to to a wide variety of other police encounters.

:twocents:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Firstly, it's called an "End of Watch" not "Tour of Duty."
    As for dangerous jobs, I freely admit that there are plenty of more risky professions. However, there is one major difference. Miners, construction workers, and fishermen do their jobs because it's their employment, and it puts food on their respective tables. With the exception of Construction workers, the others rarely take pride in the number of fish they caught, or how many barrels of oil they pumped. If they do, it's because they have a financial benefit from it. If they unfortunately meet their end in the course of their occupation, then somebody has probably made a mistake... certainly no one is targeting "Bob," for death, because he's a construction worker.
    Conversely, officers and firefighters place themselves purposefully at risk, not for themselves, or a financial benefit, but it is a serve to the public in general. There doesn't have to be a "mistake" for an officer to meet his untimely end, it can happen as he drives down the road, sits in a cafe drinking coffee, or while interacting with a less than law-abiding member of society.
    Another thing you are failing to consider is the number of officers injured vs killed. To give reference, our boys overseas have comparatively very few deaths, when compared to say Vietnam. However, when comparing injuries, our current conflicts far and away surpasses those who have been injured, and survived, versus that particular Southeast Asian conflict.
    Given that example, we can be thankful that medicine has come to the point where many more lives are being saved, but I think citing "deaths" as a sole factor, fails to illustrate the full story. For instance, in January of this year alone, 16 officers were shot by hostile gunfire, but of that number, only 10 died. That obviously can be applied to to a wide variety of other police encounters.

:twocents:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Wow.

Wow. Neg rep for that post? I even bothered to cite the nearly four hundred murders, and I still get bashed? That says something about you, kick.

Is your link supposed to make those four hundred innocent deaths justified? I don't understand what you're getting at. It's sad when police officers are killed on the job. It's unacceptable when they kill innocent people on the job. As for my other line, lots of people have stupid mouths that they should keep shut, people in power, such as police officers, especially should keep their foolish opinions to themselves. It should be a no-brainer when they're on someone else's property. Thanks for the rep. Keep ignoring those facts I cited, Kick. Slumberland must be perfect, just like every cop and absolutely everything they have to say. I've seen the light now. Police officers never make mistakes and their opinions are not opinions at all, they are gospels. OC is bad. Armed Americans are dangerous, unless you have a badge, of course. I've learned everything you have to offer. Thanks for the lesson.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Let me give you my take on open carry and why I choose not to. As I originally stated, I feel that the presence of a civilian carrying a gun puts most people on edge, (it's not the norm). If I were in a bank, conveinence store, etc. and some bad guy walks in, gun in hand and wants to rob the place, I don't want him to know that I have a gun until the moment is right. If he sees a gun, the thought of being killed or going to prison may be enough to send him over the edge, who do you think his first target is? Element of suprise is now gone, your only hope is a shootout, his gun is already drawn, wish I would have kept it concealed.
    Back to the original post, if the officer negativly commented on the presence of a gun while he was on the gentlemans property, the officer was wrong, but I would not have intentionally set that scenario up for it to be commented on.

Are you suggesting that the o.p. "set up" this "scenario" just to get a cop to see his gun so he could comment about it on a forum???????

I take him at his word.... He needed to have the v.i.n. ran on his new boat ( I want a ride),the cop that was at The o.p.'s residence,and sarcastically gave his opinion! Simple enough, don't make too much of it!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Apparently I'm dumb...but...I missed the connection between my post and yours... What about in the boat? Sure, I might OC while boating... would I let the officer join me in the boat? Not likely, I don't want his gear scraping the paint...:):

Your not dumb (I don't think)! I was just making a stupid joke!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Wow. Neg rep for that post? I even bothered to cite the nearly four hundred murders, and I still get bashed? That says something about you, kick.

Is your link supposed to make those four hundred innocent deaths justified? I don't understand what you're getting at. It's sad when police officers are killed on the job. It's unacceptable when they kill innocent people on the job. As for my other line, lots of people have stupid mouths that they should keep shut, people in power, such as police officers, especially should keep their foolish opinions to themselves. It should be a no-brainer when they're on someone else's property. Thanks for the rep. Keep ignoring those facts I cited, Kick. Slumberland must be perfect, just like every cop and absolutely everything they have to say. I've seen the light now. Police officers never make mistakes and their opinions are not opinions at all, they are gospels. OC is bad. Armed Americans are dangerous, unless you have a badge, of course. I've learned everything you have to offer. Thanks for the lesson.
    Speaking of people who should keep their mouth shut.
    Perhaps you could take your own advice for once. :n00b:
    NO LEO said ANYTHING even REMOTELY close to condemning OC in this thread.
    Your little mind just manufactured that thought. :rolleyes:

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I read the first link completely. No officers standing in line anywhere and being shot for just being a cop and OC

Clicked on about 15 officers in other link. Everyone was responding to a call or trying to ask suspects a question when they were shot.

Where are the officers that were shot for OC in someplace the same as any of us would be open carrying. We will not be pulling people over or responding to calls or questioning suspects so that is completely different than us OC.

I may be drunk but I am no fool :D

Here's one and I didn't even have to look that hard. 4 OFFICERS killed in a coffee shop.

Description: On the Sunday morning of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, Officers Griswold, Ronald Owens and Gregory Richards and Sergeant Mark Renninger were shot and killed during an ambush attack in a coffee shop as they prepared for their upcoming shift. The officers were in uniform, wearing bullet-resistant vests, and their patrol cars were parked outside the cafe when an assailant walked in and, without warning, opened fire on the officers. All four officers died at the scene, although one of them was able to return fire and wound the suspect. No one else in the coffee shop at the time was shot at or injured in the incident. The killer was shot and killed by police several days later.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Are you suggesting that the o.p. "set up" this "scenario" just to get a cop to see his gun so he could comment about it on a forum???????

I take him at his word.... He needed to have the v.i.n. ran on his new boat ( I want a ride),the cop that was at The o.p.'s residence,and sarcastically gave his opinion! Simple enough, don't make too much of it!

No that is not what I was suggesting, I was suggesting that the o.p. made a consicence decision to either put a gun on his hip or leave a gun on his hip knowing that a police officer was coming to his home. If he would have left the gun in the house while the officer was there, there would not have been anything to comment about on this forum. I am not suggesting that it was done to have a topic of conversation, but sometimes you don't always get the reaction that you hope for. Some things can be avoided by using a little common sense.
    Do I believe that he had a boat that needed a vin check? Yes, why wouldn't I beleive it?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

That fact struck me as odd when you first posted it, do you have a link?
    This link: Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

doesn't imply that in the slightest. Actually, it states that 47 innocents had been killed (85-2011). Obviously a far cry from 400.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

I haven't seen anything supporting 400 innocent deaths.

My link was supposed to that there are far more police officers killed than other "innocent" civilians.

Saying police officers should shut their stupid mouths, is saying that I and several other members of this board should. That is uncalled for and most definitely neg rep worthy at the least.

For the part of your post that I changed to red. I have no clue what you are even talking about. Do you :dunno:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    ...the officer does his thing with the boat and then turns to me and says "How about next time an officer comes out to your house, you leave the pistol in the house."

Until Police Officers start walking around unarmed, they need to keep their stupid mouths shut about We The People keeping and bearing arms out in public, let alone on our own **** property.

Saying police officers should shut their stupid mouths, is saying that I and several other members of this board should. That is uncalled for and most definitely neg rep worthy at the least.

I don't know where you read that I said, "all police officers should shut their stupid mouths", but the red above is what I actually said. I certainly never mentioned you or any other officer on INGO, who should know better than to say something so stupid as the cop said in the original story.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Until Police Officers start walking around unarmed, they need to keep their stupid mouths shut

OK. That snipped section of your quote right there, says "Police Officers". It does not say, "this cop" it does not say "cops like that", it says "Police Officers.

It also says "their stupid mouths". Meaning "Police Officers" are stupid.

Top Bottom