• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My point is, out of the armchair quarterbacks, how many started a conversation?

Who has ever heard of a $1900 used and modified Model 37?

So, if this isn't THE opportunity to pm the seller then please explain to me what is?
    Based on the responses to this thread, I have decided to not contact sellers if their price is unrealistic.

Seemed to me that there were enough reasons to leave things alone.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I did just what you are asking about. I said something to a poster about his chosen pricing and was not surprised by his response.

"Well it might be that price if you can find one but they are going for this amount on Gunbroker and that is what I am going to get."

I was interested if it would have been priced right and hadn't received that statement. Best I can tell it never did sell on here.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I did just what you are asking about. I said something to a poster about his chosen pricing and was not surprised by his response.

"Well it might be that price if you can find one but they are going for this amount on Gunbroker and that is what I am going to get."

I was interested if it would have been priced right and hadn't received that statement. Best I can tell it never did sell on here.
    I think a lot of people do this, GB can be a useful resource but people forget with GB you have a national audience, you'll not necessarily get GB prices from INGO members here in Indiana. If you want GB prices put it on GB, selling on INGO you are also avoiding a lot of the hassle like waiting for payment, shipping etc. If I have a common gun I want to sell quickly then I put a good price on it and put it on INGO and it'll usually sell quickly, if it's a more unusual or higher priced item then i've found Armslist or GB work better. Things up to around 5-600.00 sell okay on INGO but higher than that and they tend to sit around.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think a lot of people do this, GB can be a useful resource but people forget with GB you have a national audience, you'll not necessarily get GB prices from INGO members here in Indiana. If you want GB prices put it on GB, selling on INGO you are also avoiding a lot of the hassle like waiting for payment, shipping etc. If I have a common gun I want to sell quickly then I put a good price on it and put it on INGO and it'll usually sell quickly, if it's a more unusual or higher priced item then i've found Armslist or GB work better. Things up to around 5-600.00 sell okay on INGO but higher than that and they tend to sit around.
    I too have found that more expensive stuff tends to be a little harder to sell here also.

I am a little surprised as my view of INGO is that there are a lot of affluent folks on here. Much more than me that's for sure.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There are but it depends on the gun, higher priced nice black guns may sell but not 3K trap guns etc.
    Yup. That is what I was thinking. It seems like our site is more skewed to pistols and defensive type firearms.

Which is probably indicative of the market at large.

I would love to shoot shotgun sports but they are not very accessible to me.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Selling on GB has it's advantages too.
    Like not driving half way across the State to sell something.
    Also the price is set, I usually run auctions on GB. Although I have done "buy it now" on once fired brass, common accessories etc.
    Those "buy it now" items I use PayPal (I know, I know), so payment comes quickly.
    I have noticed on GB that buyers typically do not mind paying for shipping. Where on Ebay if you have a shipping fee, your item will not sell for a loooooong time.
    I would much rather wait on payment and ship as opposed to endless offers and messages about an item.
    Hopefully I will not be in a position to "have" to sell something.
    I've been contemplating selling off a few firearms, two will most likely go straight to GB as they are higher end and one is 1 of 2500.
    Like others have stated, INGO seems to have a certain price point, although I have been surprised when I have seen some higher end black rifles bring over 2K. I didn't think INGO had it in them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder why folks wouldn't go to the INGO classifieds by default, then place an add on the other sites if the item doesn't sell?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I wonder why folks wouldn't go to the INGO classifieds by default, then place an add on the other sites if the item doesn't sell?
    Some items need National attention to bring what they are worth.
    Up thread, someone mentioned that we have resident flippers. I don't want to set them up for a "win" by selling something under value. Just to have them run it on GB and make out on it. I bought it, took care of it, I should benefit from it.
    As mentioned as well, the market will set the price. GB is the market, if I start something out to high and it doesn't attract watchers or bidders, then I will adjust until it does.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think a lot of people do do this, i've done it many times. I will put an item on INGO and if there isn't interest in a few days i'll usually move it. I don't keep something on here and bump it for weeks at a time. Realistically most people will see it in a day or two and if you have a good price it'll sell, to just keep bumping it really isn't going to do any good. You'll have to face the fact that the price isn't attractive or the item just doesn't have any interest.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I think a lot of people do do this, i've done it many times. I will put an item on INGO and if there isn't interest in a few days i'll usually move it. I don't keep something on here and bump it for weeks at a time. Realistically most people will see it in a day or two and if you have a good price it'll sell, to just keep bumping it really isn't going to do any good. You'll have to face the fact that the price isn't attractive or the item just doesn't have any interest.

I wish I hadn't just bought the one item from you. That last 357 you sold was sweeeet!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have only sold on INGO.

And yes, I am guilty of bumping an ad FOREVER, lol. Sorry if that irritates some but I figure I have to hit the right audience at the right time. Timing is a lot. If I list something around Thanksgiving, I may get some resistance but the same item might be wanted after Christmas when they are done shopping and they know what they got for Christmas. Or they may be tapped out after the holidays and it will gain interest after they do their taxes.

I don't bump every day, but fairly often. And there has been a few times that I just closed the ad without getting a sale. But this was just 1 or 2 of the listings I have done here.

Which reminds me, I need to bump my powder ad. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm noticing at least a couple of new INGOers in the classifieds requiring receipts and FFL transfers.

Don't know if this is a trend or what? Good to see their requirements stated up front rather than hear about this sort of thing springing up later though.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    IMO, a lot of people try to sell items for way more than they're worth. It's terribly common here, as well as on any other forum. Telling them isn't going to help anything. If I see something I want at a good price, I buy. If not a good price, I just look elsewhere.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yup. That is what I was thinking. It seems like our site is more skewed to pistols and defensive type firearms.

Which is probably indicative of the market at large.

I would love to shoot shotgun sports but they are not very accessible to me.
    There just doesn't seem to be as much of a market here, when up in MI shotgun sports were pretty popular, where I lived there were at least 3-4 trap, skeet, sporting clays ranges nearby.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You guys will have a ball with this insanity.....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom