• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Lots of ads in our classified have shown asking prices for firearms or ammo at prices ABOVE you could find the exact same items for at significantly lower prices. I've searched and confirmed same many times just casually looking to buy stuff. I guess the sellers have not done their homework either in this regard. We all learn a lot when we are selling and buying stuff; it is the way of the world.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    But a used current production firearm at $100 more than the MSRP? Three items listed and the sum total almost $3000 high?

When I bring something to the market I try to give "me own children's rates", I hate to think we are becoming what I have left behind elsewhere...

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Personally, if something I'm selling is available cheaper somewhere, I would rather hear about it. I don't want my stuff to sit unsold for ages and maybe I didn't happen to find that particular item that one place it was lower.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    O
    INGO Classifieds: where else can you buy a used gun for over msrp...

If I weighed in on overpriced guns here, Id have a heckova lot more posts lol.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    As my father told me many, many years ago: "It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay."

Overpriced or not...still rings true. Check out the mint condition "Boa" going for over $30K on Gunbroker. I would NEVER pay that, but since it has over 60 bids, there are obviously many who are willing to go there.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hesitant to jump in here, but I'll put on my asbestos underwear and give this a go.
    I currently have 2-rifles listed, a RRA .308 and CMMG MK9.
    I struggled with asking price for RRA due to: Out of stock where I looked, and how much to value the scope, scope mount, and bipod.
    I also struggled with CMMG, as it has some Magpul furniture, and also hard to find in stock.
    Next issue is trying to price it to account for almost any offers I've ever received are below what I've priced, even the $25 M&P Mags, that were NIB (which was a steal IMHO). The person wanting a lower price missed out, another jumped all over it, and was happy buyer.

So, looking for feedback/opinion on that I price them at.
    Mostly looking to clear up safe space (Wow, I used term safe space), don't really need to sell, but if they do, they do.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Another thing to consider, and I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Some "persons" may be willing to pay higher than retail to avoid...errrrrr...the paperwork.

Again, not accusing anyone of anything, all are innocent until proven guilty, but I can't imagine that in over 10+ years of classified transactions, someone who isn't "proper" hasn't gotten something they would not qualify for at retail.

Hopefully I am wrong, but mathematically it is certainly possible.

Hugs, lolly pops and unicorns to all... :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hesitant to jump in here, but I'll put on my asbestos underwear and give this a go.
    I struggled with asking price for RRA due to: Out of stock where I looked, and how much to value the scope, scope mount, and bipod.
    I also struggled with CMMG, as it has some Magpul furniture, and also hard to find in stock.
    Next issue is trying to price it to account for almost any offers I've ever received are below what I've priced, even the $25 M&P Mags, that were NIB (which was a steal IMHO). The person wanting a lower price missed out, another jumped all over it, and was happy buyer.

Mostly looking to clear up safe space (Wow, I used term safe space), don't really need to sell, but if they do, they do.

If they are not selling, keep dropping the price. That will dictate what the INGO classifieds market is.

*Pro Tips -

- Bump your add at different times of the day, so different eyes may be attracted to it. Same with the weekend, switch things up. Afternoon/evening/morning/weekend times are often different crowds that might be attracted, if they only new your add was there.

- When you drop the price, drop it noticeably. You are not dropping the price at all when you drop it 5%. Might as well not drop it at all and hope your creative add bumping works to get eyes that are buyers at your asking price. 15-25% drops in price shows that you are motivated.

- If your add isn't moving, sell your accessories separate and reevaluate your original pricing. FYI - It's very hard to get "upgrades" value on the gun you are selling.

- If you have seen no activity in a week or two, please take it easy on the rest of us and wait a week or more to bump again. Especially if you are not dropping the price, it's easy to make viewers numb to your add or even develop a distain for your user name in relation to the daily bump to the top for weeks and weeks.

Best of luck selling your rifles, my friend! :ingo:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Didn't look at your listing(s) but there are a lot of things to consider when setting a price. Availability does impact it. Basic supply and demand. That was why I said in my OP item being readily available. If its out of stock everywhere or is hard to get, your price should go up.

Scopes, mounts, bipods, forward grips, flux capacitors are a crap shoot. By bundling these, you have to find the buyer that wants exactly what you are selling. In this case the sum is not greater than all of the parts. If you want to maximize your return on investment, it's usually better to sell the factory item and add-ons separately. Ask a Jeep owner who puts $15K worth of "stuff" on their vehicle. They usually aren't getting the price of the Jeep + the $15k when they sell it.

Even if you don't need to sell it, do you want to go through the work of listing an item, answering questions, getting offers, etc. if it's priced out of the market?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My point is, out of the armchair quarterbacks, how many started a conversation?

Who has ever heard of a $1900 used and modified Model 37?

So, if this isn't THE opportunity to pm the seller then please explain to me what is?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom