• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    At the end of the day the classifieds are a give reason the site exists. The quality of the classifieds keep people renewing supporter status. The existence of classifieds drive search results. Anyone on here trying to get gouge prices should be at least messaged. If it's someone I know and their price is low I'll let them know I think they could get more, or just help them out and buy it lol.

The classifieds are a huge asset and a community effort to keep honest.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    At the end of the day the classifieds are a give reason the site exists. The quality of the classifieds keep people renewing supporter status. The existence of classifieds drive search results. Anyone on here trying to get gouge prices should be at least messaged. If it's someone I know and their price is low I'll let them know I think they could get more, or just help them out and buy it lol.

The classifieds are a huge asset and a community effort to keep honest.
    Sure. Throw facts into the conversation......

Jeez.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The only time I'd message someone about a price is if they seem to not realize something that they have is worth significantly more than they're selling it for. Not like $100 or 200 difference but thousands.

Chances are it'd be gone by then anyway. I'd never contact someone over over-pricing something, if they want to spend the better half of their year trying to sell something, that's their problem.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am curious.

What would you do if you thought his price was too low?
    If I was going to say something to someone who is asking a price that is much higher than what is readily available that the item is out there for less, I'm also willing to let a seller know they can get more for an item.

If the going rate of a Mosin was $900 and you listed it for $300, sure I'd contact you.

In this thread, me contacting people concerning the price listed is for items I have no interest in buying. If I am interested in purchasing something, I'll either buy it at listing price or negotiate for a price I am willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell. I don't play games, I just strike a deal that is acceptable to both parties.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I am curious.

What would you do if you thought his price was too low?
    I actually did this. I posted a custom Colt 1911 for sale, $1750, needed to move it to pay some medical bills. I lowered the the price when I bumped it. I meant to drop it to $1500. I didn't notice but some how I dropped it to $1150. I didn't notice it until the buyer handed me $1150. I balked and said that the price was $1500. We both looked up the post to prove each other wrong. I felt like an idiot but I sold it to him for the posted price. Live and learn. Made a new friend and remained a man of my word.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I actually did this. I posted a custom Colt 1911 for sale, $1750, needed to move it to pay some medical bills. I lowered the the price when I bumped it. I meant to drop it to $1500. I didn't notice but some how I dropped it to $1150. I didn't notice it until the buyer handed me $1150. I balked and said that the price was $1500. We both looked up the post to prove each other wrong. I felt like an idiot but I sold it to him for the posted price. Live and learn. Made a new friend and remained a man of my word.
    Tough lessons but we all make mistakes. Being man enough to accept the consequences is noble.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I always quote the price and link to the for sale post when I offer to buy. I hope that both parties in the deal can be satisfied when done.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ouch. Good on you for honoring the price. A good reminder to always recap details of the deal again either over the phone, text or PM when planning the meet up.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I watched a video the other day on a similar topic I thought was interesting.

Glad I skimmed through this thread because I was going to share this same video ........
    Lots of good info on his channel and this one is very relevant to this thread .
    The one that stands out is the guy who has all the bells and whistles on his weapon for sale and thinks he can sell it for "Almost" what he has into it . IMHO , You really limit the buyers market with "Custom" work . Not everyone has the same taste .
    I doubt I would contact someone about their asking price being off the wall . If I see something I am interested in , the first thing I do is check prices elsewhere online and buy accordingly .

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    A fool and his money is soon departed.
    Know a consultant who would price some jobs high because he really didn’t want to do the job. Stated he ended getting a lot of those jobs. I do not comment if the prices are high or low. What something is worth to me is most likely different than what that same item is worth to you. Do your research. Bought a gun on here. Lot of extras included, some of which I could do without. The price was more than I wanted to spend, but looking at what you got, was not out of line. I made a lowball but fair option, he countered, which happened to be my high limit, and we were both happy. Still no buyers remorse.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The last time I got involved it was sheer ignorance. They were selling a commodity item that was overpriced due to supply and demand. I explained that there was no way they were going to get list price when somebody could at their leisure go a couple miles to their LGS and pay the same amount, instead of wranging a meetup, possibly across town, trying to get schedules coordinated, etc. So pay full retail easy, or full retail with a hassle? The choice is obvious. I pointed out if they wanted to actually sell it, they'd have to take a hit and make it worth somebody's while to buy theirs. They were gracious.

Now anything requiring a 4473 is a totally different animal. Some people are willing to pay above retail for an off the books gun. Unless, as others have stated, that the price is insanely high, I just assume they are catering to the :tinfoil: crowd. More power to them.
    In my case, when I put something up for sale I take time and do research to set a fair price ALL things considered.
    So I wouldn't find it "helpful" for somebody to tell me what I should price it at.

SURE, make me a fair offer below my price, and I'll consider it.
    But again, if you can get it cheaper someplace else, just go buy it there.
    That's what I've always done.

For example, not long ago I put up some ammo for sale that Ammoseek showed only 2 places that ACTUALLY had this exact ammo in stock in the whole country at the time.
    One wanted $250 plus Shipping, taxes, etc, the other $230 plus Shipping, taxes, etc.

I listed it for $200 cash and carry.
    I kept getting offers for $150 or less with the implication that I was charging way too high, when actually it was a fair price for the market at the time.
    So I just kept it.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am interested in whether it would be construed by the INGO masses as being rude, inappropriate or otherwise not a good thing to do to notify a seller about the prices they are asking.

I'm not talking about beating on a guy because you don't like their price. I'm talking about letting a seller know that item X is readily available for much less than their asking price and that may be why they aren't getting much action. Just to help, not to berate.

Would most folks react negatively to that?

I ask because I have received messages from people letting me know. I didn't take it negatively, but constructively. But then again I am like that.

What made me think of this is I see a guy trying to sell an item for $150 more than what anyone can pay right now. And the new version is improved with more accessories.
    I've been on both ends of it. I've looked at something before and then saw the asking price hundreds more for something used than I could buy a new one for so I'll ask if it's had custom work or upgraded parts that weren't mentioned because I can buy the same thing over at XYZ.com for much less. At the same time I've had people ask me about my pricing when I didn't know the price had dropped on something before or that there was some big sale I didn't know about. As long as everyone keeps their manners, it shouldn't be an issue.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not nearly to the same extent but I did that with something I posted, except I had someone PM as I was updating the price to what it should have been. Told him I'd honor it. That said it wasn't $350 difference like yours was. That had to hurt a bit.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I will speak up digitally [PM] if a fellow has a price that is way out of whack.

I will also, in that same PM, follow it with the detailed copy paste of the actual lesser cost deal.

That way they have nothing to say other than "thanks" and swallow their high priced widgit.

It doesn't take a mental giant to view the interwebs and find deals.

in fact, I am stunned that some buyers don't do research at all, it seems.

YMMV

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom