• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna OC tomorrow in Nashville. On a side note, I'll be driving thru Gnaw Bone to get there. I looked up Gnaw Bone in Wikipedia after Kirk Freeman said the name ame from Narbonne, France...HE WAS RIGHT! And how!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Stop at the Gnaw Mart for "The Best Pork Tenderloin in Indiana"..

Feel free to OC at Big Woods pizza in Nashville, an INGO member, and site of several OC events..

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I would like to comment. Personally I CC. I do it mainly for security. I just can't stay in condition 1 ALL THE TIME. I am carrying an object worth $600 and it could be harmful in the wrong hands to boot. I want to minimize the chances of someone relieving me of a valuable object, so it stays relatively out of sight. I don't wear jewelry either...... It just seems stupid to me to flaunt valuable things in public. Secondarily I am submitting to society. The SIGHT of a weapon is disturbing and/or distracting to some. I make a reasonable effort to keep mine out of SIGHT.

It is perfectly legal for me to walk around town in a speedo or spandex bicycle drawers too. I don't do that either. There is an implied contract with society. Me in spandex would break that contract. Lance Armstrong on the other hand can sport it just fine. If you feel comfortable then I say go for it. The general public will think what they think whether it is wearing skimpy clothes or OCing, or WHATEVER. Jessica Alba Could walk around nude and I would be ok with that...... Rosie ODonnell on the other hand, not so much. SOMEBODY will have the opposite opinion, they have rights too. I've seen some butt-ugly women stopping traffic because another person thinks they are attractive.

My point is that despite the fact that some people can pull it off and some people cannot, It's not MY decision on what people do. I don't get to make the rules, and I'm not the fashion police. Neither are you. Each individual gets to live with the consequences of their actions. If an OCer gets shot first, or gets to be unpopular at parties then so be it. If I get killed being slow to draw or just get to chafe in the heat with a gun in my pants, that's ok too. There are different strokes for different folks....... Keep your opinion, even talk about it. just don't create negativity for people who don't agree. If a personal decision creates a breech of peace then it will eventually be outlawed. The decision to OC while not currently conforming to political correctness, has already been legislated. It was not found to be a breach of peace.

Curiously enough, Jessica Alba walking around nude HAS been found to be a breach of peace......... Go figure.
    Well said.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now, see, the beauty of this topic resurfacing over and over is that it helps me build my INGO record-setting IGNORE list. I finally read through the whole topic and as I applied this wonder of technology, the reading went so much faster! Thank you, creators of this software!

I'm not even an OC guy, but it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. I don't fully understand their arrangement, but I believe that Rhino now owes Kirk a case of .45 because of your post.

ARGH!

I can draw faster from an OWB holster with no cover garment than I can when I have to move a cover garment out of the way first. I don't care who you are, the more actions and steps you have to take, the more things you have to get right, the more time you'll take completing the task. That's just how it is.

Another issue is that I've never snagged my concealment garment trying to draw my gun when I wasn't wearing a concealment garment. I've never seen anyone else do it either.

I will not be happy until I find out the specifics of Rhino owing Kirk a case of .45.

Double ARGH!

Suprised you haven't seen that talked about before..

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC correctly it started a few years back with Kirk saying that everytime someone quotes another State's gun laws, as an Indiana law, Rhino owes him a case of ammo..

Hush! No! No! Belay that scurvy nonsense!

Will torches and pitchforks be involved with this mob? Because that sounds fun.

You get points for knowing that torches go with pitchforks, whereas lanterns go with shotguns. Too many people get their old school lynching tools mismatched.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    It has always been so on this site. Until the owner of this board finally realizes that the best possible thing he could do is permanently ban about 10 of the losers who live here 24x7, intelligent, responsible gun owners will not stay here long. The way to make it happen is to send suggestions to the site sponsors. When they tell the site owner that they'd like to see change, it will happen quickly.

So, if someone disagrees with your opinion they are not intelligent?
    Hmmm!:rolleyes:

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Four: Also a great way to educate people about the legalities of owning and carrying guns.

"I see you have a gun.Are you a cop?
    No? A well I didn't know "civilians" could carry as well.My wife and I should do that.
    "

Also a good way to spot and talk to fellow gun owners.

"Hey I see you are carrying a Gen4 Glock.How do you like it compared to the Gen3?
    Oh by the way are you an INGO member?
    Wow you're Bunnykid68?! I buy you a beer dude.You're my hero!"

:dunno:

You need to raise your "hero" bar a little higher.:):

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    It was well before my time, but back in the time of S&W Model 64s, yes, Brink's messengers carried their firearms in their hand while going into customer stops. In States where this was illegal, they would put their hand on the grip, but leave it holstered.

Not that LEO messes with us, legal or not.

I can remember seeing Brink's agents making deliveries to banks with their weapons in their hands.
    It sucks to be that old!:ingo:

sailorjim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    LarryJr, I am going to side with you on this one. I see no need to scare the soccer mom's and the little old ladies (and men for that matter) who don't want to know how dangerous the world has become. If the point of open cary is to simply exercise the right to cary, I get that and it has negative consequences. Are the negative consequences worth the price? If the thought is "they shouldn't be afraid of a guy with a gun" I am 66 years old and I have been around the world several times and I have never been to a place from home to Africa, to India, to Iraq, to Italy....and not seen people recoil from the guy with a gun, especially if that guy was not in uniform or carying a badge. Get mad if you must, I will continue to cary concealed.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I can see both sides of the argument and I see a way to make both sides happy. Simply open carry one gun and carry a BUG in a concealed ankle holster. This accomplishes several things:

1. You are OCing and CCing
    2. If a 5 y.o. little girl takes your OC gun you can then have the CC gun which she did not take because she did not know you had it.
    3. While you "loose the element of surprise" with the OC gun, you gain a HUGE element of surprise when the perp see's you pull out that "surprise gun".
    4. The "attention" that you get from the OC gun is completely and 100% canceled out by the lack of attention you get from the CC gun thus rendering the point moot.

And so, with these 4 simple points in mind and considering the indisputable weight and intellectual superior point number 4, I have successfully not only ended this thread but I have ended the entire OC/CC argument.

Now we can move onto things that are more important to talk about and dedicate the time of INGO members on like - where is wallet?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    So now that we know gnaw mart is closed where does one go for the best pork tenderloin in the iIndianapolis area or 30 miles or so away.

well what say you? Please real pork hand cut and pounded only. No frozen Pete's pride stuff!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Tdoom ---- In Answer to your first question,

I've been asked to provide pros, I have. I've yet to see one pro for OC. Telling.
    I've provided numerous reputable people advising CC over OC, I've yet to see the opposite. Telling.
    I bet I don't get answers to either of these. ---WRONG!

There are reasons for Open carry. First it is far more comfortable when carrying large framed firearms. Second, it is faster in 90% of the cases to draw from an outside holster than one that is inside your clothing. Third - in many cases it can be a deterrent to the need to use a firearm, most street thugs would not attack a "hard target". Proof of this is in the advice of many insurance companies and police concerning your residence - If you have proper lighting, eliminate hiding shrubbery near your home and lock your door, you are far more likely to remain robbery / free as you have made yourself a "Hard target". If there were no advantage to open carry - why would all LEO's do it - HUH!

As far as "EXPERT OPINIONS" - not to disparage any, but in most cases "experts" often mimic other experts as in this case they don't have to "prove" there statement --as in "everybody agrees" - I do not believe there is any reasonable way to prove this "opinion" either way. There cannot be any evidence of the amount of times a thug "didn't" do something do to seeing an outside carry weapon. Nor can they prove the opposite.

I normally CC, but have no reason to not Outside carry. My 40+ year old son sometimes Open carries, and I guarantee you he is not wanting to "Feel Big" or start conversations.

As a sensible person I can see both sides of the argument - I have no issue with either. The only issue I do have is with idiots that believe their way is the only way. There are certainly times I feel it is somewhat inappropriate to open carry, such as Church etc.. 99% of the time I feel there is not a iotas difference and very little advantage to either if you are comfortable with CC - go for it, if Outside carry is your thing - Go for it. Calling others names or indicating they don't know what they are doing, insulting them with stupid comments like "they want to feel big" or "they are just trying to impress people" etc. is in my opinion ASININE!

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Tdoom ----
    2892d3ae-5008-4b70-a29c-a3d69c7f2c01_zpsf88cc59b.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    insulting them with stupid comments like "they want to feel big" or "they are just trying to impress people" etc. is in my opinion ASININE!

I am REALLY not trying to be obtuse...... SERIOUSLY, no kidding. I am asking exactly why "they want to feel big" or "they are just trying to impress people" are insults? Why in (supposedly) free America are these both not legitimate reasons to open carry?

I have often answered flippantly when asked why I carry a gun, "Because I can.". While being flippant, it still isn't far from the truth. If I am outside of my house I am packing a heater. Hell, I have pants on don't I? how can I not be packing a gun? The gun was in my pants when I put them on.

I think "they want to feel big" or "they are just trying to impress people" are as legitimate reasons to OC as any........ I wear a camouflage hat too, even if I am not trying to hide. It is my routine. So is my gun. most times I am carrying my gun for NO REASON AT ALL. Still, there is my gun right in my pocket. How much better is "they want to feel big" or "they are just trying to impress people" for reasons to do something than having no reason at all? OC to be a tough guy, Its ok. YOU DON"T NEED PERMISSION. Just saying.

Top Bottom