• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Damn guys calm down!! Look...common sense dictates that one does not walk around with his weapon exposed. It is perfectly legal to walk around with your loaded long gun slung across you shoulder. Surely to goodness you will not say that you would walk into Walmart like that ...would you? Just because you can!! Sure different, but yet the same really.

As a LEO I do not walk around in civilian clothes with my badge and weapon exposed. CCW 1 o 1-never let anyone see your gun.

To the nay sayer on an intimidation charge, make no mistake about it,you get in a tiff with someone and you have a weapon exposed, you are flirting with legal disaster. You have no merit to a lawsuit for a person calling in on you. You have no merit to a lawsuit for being detained and or questioned after a person makes a legitimate call about you having an exposed weapon.

People running around doing the open carry silliness will do more harm to the CCW laws in this state that just about anything.

You will find very few people as passionate as me for all things firearms-DO NOT CALL ME ANTI GUN!!

Be smart,don't be an idiot, if you carry a weapon,wear a long tailed shirt and cover the damn thing up. Really...we shouldn't even be having this conversation. Common sense guys...common sense. Jeeeezzzz.
    Gee, thanks for the well reasoned input. Anyone else you want to offend tonight? Let's hear some more of that fact based expertise.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...CCW 1 o 1-never let anyone see your gun.
    I don't have a CCW, it's an LTCH. I missed that class.
    To the nay sayer on an intimidation charge, make no mistake about it,you get in a tiff with someone and you have a weapon exposed, you are flirting with legal disaster. You have no merit to a lawsuit for a person calling in on you. You have no merit to a lawsuit for being detained and or questioned after a person makes a legitimate call about you having an exposed weapon.
    What's legitimate about calling in a legal action? It's ridiculous.
    People running around doing the open carry silliness will do more harm to the CCW laws in this state that just about anything.
    Again with the CCW? Where do you live? What harm is going to happen?
    You will find very few people as passionate as me for all things firearms-DO NOT CALL ME ANTI GUN!!
    I'll only call you ANTI OC, which you share with the ANTI GUN crowd.

Be smart,don't be an idiot, if you carry a weapon,wear a long tailed shirt and cover the damn thing up. Really...we shouldn't even be having this conversation. Common sense guys...common sense. Jeeeezzzz.
    No thank you. You may win me over with better arguments but so far, your reasoning hasn't come across as smart or common sense. Jeeeez.;)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    And in your neck of the woods, I'd think you saw OC more frequently than most...

Damn guys calm down!! Look...common sense dictates that one does not walk around with his weapon exposed. It is perfectly legal to walk around with your loaded long gun slung across you shoulder. Surely to goodness you will not say that you would walk into Walmart like that ...would you? Just because you can!! Sure different, but yet the same really.

As a LEO I do not walk around in civilian clothes with my badge and weapon exposed. CCW 1 o 1-never let anyone see your gun.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And please keep it civil folks. I like this thread and have not really received an answer yet to my OP. Continue debating without name calling and we'll all have a good time. :cheers:

Some of the readers may even learn something. (Probably not us posters.:):)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    And in your neck of the woods, I'd think you saw OC more frequently than most...

You know I can't think of the last time I saw someone carrying openly. And for what it is worth,in the course of my duty's I would not hassle them more than likely unless dispatched on a call for it. I incidentally have never been sent on a call like that either.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You know I can't think of the last time I saw someone carrying openly. And for what it is worth,in the course of my duty's I would not hassle them more than likely unless dispatched on a call for it. I incidentally have never been sent on a call like that either.

And in your patrol area I wouldn't expect you to be sent on a call like that. I don't often see people OCing either, but when I do I don't have much of a reaction. Especially in small town America, it should not be cause for concern. In fact, I'd think it would be more likely to spark a conversation...

At the CoOp: Hey Joe, is that a new Kimber I see? Yep, sure is. I traded in my old one for this here beauty. Good deal, whatcha need? I need 4000# of 12-12-12. I'll get right on that. Enjoy your new gun!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

snip.

There are a number of court rulings that show you incorrect re: whether or not one would have basis for filing a lawsuit against a criminal with a badge who made an arrest, or even an detention, based purely on open carry. Such actions are clearly illegal. The fact that some thugs are incapable of enforcing the law as it is instead of how they wish it were is why those court cases exist. You have identified yourself as a police officer, Here's hoping you don't abuse your badge in the manner you seem to advocate. What department, btw?

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    So am I clear in the reasoning behind open carry is that it keeps the bad guys from messing with you?
    I'm pretty sure comfort plays a big role for many OCers. My wife wears pointy heels that she complains hurt her feet for no constructive reason other than appearances. Is it the suggestion of some in this thread that I force myself to wear unnecessary layers and sweat more than necessary, or endure chafing where the muzzle end of a holster rubs the skin inside my pants, simply for appearances, or for a nebulous idea of "the purpose", or fear of sheeple? I will be the first to admit that I CC 99% of the time, mainly due to retention concerns, and when carrying a BUG the holdout is always hidden, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a sweat soaked overshirt for no other reason to keep some people happy.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Noone is telling you that you HAVE to CC or SHOULDN'T OC. We just want you to know that there are drawbacks to OC'ing, or at least there are in my mind.

I've never sweated my ass off while CC'ing. I've also never chafed myself or gotten a rash from a holster. I usually wear a tshirt under my normal shirt. It's not hard to stay comfortable and dry. I'm not sure what some of you are up to though...

Top Bottom