• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just a reality check that it is not that easy to just get a QB in the draft.

“Nowhere is that more evident than a review of all 10 draft classes this decade when a total of 117 quarterbacks were plucked from the college ranks. Thirty of those men were selected in the first round, a position that would seem to convey a sense of confidence and certainty.”

“In reality, those picks have failed more often than not, especially in pursuit of the main goal. Indeed, only two quarterbacks drafted since 2010 have won the Super Bowl and both — Russell Wilson and Nick Foles — were drafted in the third round. (And in Foles’ case, the victory didn’t come until his second tour with the Philadelphia Eagles and after their first-round pick, Carson Wentz, was hurt for the season.)”

“Three more quarterbacks drafted in the 2010s reached the Super Bowl and lost — second-rounder Colin Kaepernick and top overall choices Cam Newton and Jared Goff.”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is an impressive listing and ranking of all QB draft classes since 2000. It gets depressing to see all those names forgotten that once were high draft picks.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

“Nowhere is that more evident than a review of all 10 draft classes this decade when a total of 117 quarterbacks were plucked from the college ranks. Thirty of those men were selected in the first round, a position that would seem to convey a sense of confidence and certainty.”

“In reality, those picks have failed more often than not, especially in pursuit of the main goal. Indeed, only two quarterbacks drafted since 2010 have won the Super Bowl and both — Russell Wilson and Nick Foles — were drafted in the third round. (And in Foles’ case, the victory didn’t come until his second tour with the Philadelphia Eagles and after their first-round pick, Carson Wentz, was hurt for the season.)”

“Three more quarterbacks drafted in the 2010s reached the Super Bowl and lost — second-rounder Colin Kaepernick and top overall choices Cam Newton and Jared Goff.”

Hey. Gof might have made the Lion's a little better than they were with Stafford.

Oh, what am I saying? Lions are dog**** either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Yes it’s true that getting a franchise quarterback is just plain old good luck.

BUT

The chances increase by a lot if you get one in the 1st round, and Ballard has shown zero interest in giving up a high pick for a quarterback.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County

I agree and have stated similar sentiments on here in the past, but you just have to take a chance on someone at some point.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They the gun makers don't take my tax money to build their stadiums.

The extra Hotel tax, food tax around Indy, I didn't vote for that.

Maybe the football player can do something more productive? Like driving a truck or picking up trash?
    Hey start a thread on that subject and we can all hold a conversation about it there.
    Please either join the conversation and stay on subject or move along. This isn't about politics. It's about the Colts and the season they've had

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And Stafford won a SB. LOL
    I know. I'm a Stafford fan. I want him to have success because that guy has a lot of heart. I thought he had too much heart to deserve being stuck with a **** team like the Lions. It's the only reason I rooted for the Rams in the SB.

But. Stafford has some issues. For all his heart, he'll eat a sack like a big mac. Makes some really boneheaded mistakes in the heat of it. I'm not saying Goff is better than Stafford. But, I think Goff is better for the Lions than Stafford, and Stafford is better for the Rams than Goff.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    If the Super Bowl is the measuring stick, it is worth noting that the period of Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck produced a grand total of one SB victory and one SB loss. I honestly believe that the Manning years would have produced at least one more, and maybe more, if not for a certain scandal involving stealing offensive signs that the NFL washed under the rug. However, in any case, the Ravens won the SB twice during that same period with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco at QB. The point being that although the QB position is obviously crucial to winning games, the front office and coaching staffs are at least as important to winning Super Bowls.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If the Super Bowl is the measuring stick, it is worth noting that the period of Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck produced a grand total of one SB victory and one SB loss. I honestly believe that the Manning years would have produced at least one more, and maybe more, if not for a certain scandal involving stealing offensive signs that the NFL washed under the rug. However, in any case, the Ravens won the SB twice during that same period with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco at QB. The point being that although the QB position is obviously crucial to winning games, the front office and coaching staffs are at least as important to winning Super Bowls.
    Todays game is not the game Dilfer and Flacco played. The advent of the mobile QB that can roll out, move the pocket, and still throw accurately all before the decision to run is even processed has revolutionized the game. Heck a prime Manning likely would not perform like folks expect as the defenders have so much more athleticism and speed, thus necessitating the QB described above.

Yes, Ryan is old and likely losing it, but he is an old school relic still trying to stand in the pocket with the line desperately trying to hold off the defensive freaks coming and coming fast. Even Brady is struggling with these defenses. This season of Allen, Hebert, Hurts, Tua, and several others has solidified in my mind that the pocket passer era is over.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Todays game is not the game Dilfer and Flacco played. The advent of the mobile QB that can roll out, move the pocket, and still throw accurately all before the decision to run is even processed has revolutionized the game. Heck a prime Manning likely would not perform like folks expect as the defenders have so much more athleticism and speed, thus necessitating the QB described above.

Yes, Ryan is old and likely losing it, but he is an old school relic still trying to stand in the pocket with the line desperately trying to hold off the defensive freaks coming and coming fast. Even Brady is struggling with these defenses. This season of Allen, Hebert, Hurts, Tua, and several others has solidified in my mind that the pocket passer era is over.

100% agree.

He doesn’t have to be Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen levels of elite athleticism but he HAS to be able to make plays with his feet, escape pressure, and make off-platform throws.

I know when I’m watching, it’s so demoralizing seeing a QB pickup a crucial 1st down with the run. Absolute back breaker. You can be play perfect defense and sometimes it’s just not enough.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Jags may have that shot…

As much as it would suck for us to have another competent team in the division, I would love to see Trevor Lawrence and Doug Pederson have success in Jacksonville.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    100% agree.

He doesn’t have to be Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen levels of elite athleticism but he HAS to be able to make plays with his feet, escape pressure, and make off-platform throws.

I know when I’m watching, it’s so demoralizing seeing a QB pickup a crucial 1st down with the run. Absolute back breaker. You can be play perfect defense and sometimes it’s just not enough.
    So demoralizing when that happens both for fans and players alike. Hold them to third and eight, then the D gets a finger tip on the QB near a ten yard loss but the QB breaks contain and throws or runs for fifteen. Oh that hurts…

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Teams to root for going forward. Rams. Cardinals. Broncos. Bears.

Rams and Broncos play tomorrow so one of them is definitely going to get to 5 wins.

Cardinals play the Bucs this weekend.

Bears are playing the Bills so not great odds there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom