• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's a team. If they suck, they suck. Irsay is at the top of that. He's the ultimate decision maker. When he had Payton and Andrew, and the decent coaches he's had, he deserves credit for his role in bringing them to the team, even though those guys most directly impacted the success. He also deserves credit for basically signaling to Ballard that he's safe no matter what blunders he makes. Why do you get so upset when someone finds the flies in the ointment? I mean. You could always just simply disagree. Instead you get upset about it. It's okay not to be upset that someone doesn't have the same opinion you do.
    I’m not upset with anyone. Everyone can have their opinions. I am not that big of a Colts fan, I am a football fan first and foremost, the outcome of Colts games has no impact on my life. On a typical Sunday I have two different games on and red zone running. I just think some comments are too far.

Though there have been many attacks on Irsay, not just criticism, not one poster wants to answer the question about what the benchmarks are for blasting an owner.

Are the Ford family losers because the Lions struggle so much? How about the Hunt family? Until Reid and Mahomes they were pretty bad. Is Kraft now a loser after two decades of excellence but are struggling similar to the Colts? Just what is the measuring stick?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m not upset with anyone. Everyone can have their opinions. I am not that big of a Colts fan, I am a football fan first and foremost, the outcome of Colts games has no impact on my life. On a typical Sunday I have two different games on and red zone running. I just think some comments are too far.

Though there have been many attacks on Irsay, not just criticism, not one poster wants to answer the question about what the benchmarks are for blasting an owner.

Are the Ford family losers because the Lions struggle so much? How about the Hunt family? Until Reid and Mahomes they were pretty bad. Is Kraft now a loser after two decades of excellence but are struggling similar to the Colts? Just what is the measuring stick?
    Measuring sticks? :scratch: Okay. The benchmarks criticizing an owner is when the owner makes decisions that turn out badly. I don't think the decision to hire Saturday made the Colts win or lose any games that they would have anyway. But, I also said I don't think Saturday is the guy. At least not yet. So now the owner, who hired his friend out of frustration, now has to fire his friend. I think that was a foolish decision. Is that "blasting" Irsay?

Is saying that Irsay should have fired Ballard "blasting" him? I said I'm not a fan of Irsay, anyway. Maybe that's what why you think any criticism is blasting him. But not liking him personally has nothing to do with some criticisms I think he deserves. Is what happened to the colts just bad luck? (no pun intended) I don't think so. I think he should fire Ballard and let the next GM find the next coach and figure out the QB situation. Instead, he signaled to Ballard that he can do no wrong.

And since you keep asking the questions I don't care about--we're not talking about the Lions. I'm not their fan. We're not talking about the Chiefs or the Patriots, I'm not a Chiefs fan--and I thought I was a Patriots fan and found out I'm really a Tom Brady fan after he moved to Tampa Bay. I could barely give a **** if the pats ever won again. Point is, I don't really care about any of those teams and I don't really have an opinion about the owners.

Well, wait. I do have an opinion about the Lions. I grew up in Michigan but was only a Lions fan when they had Sanders. It's pissed me off for all these years how little care about winning that Lions owners have had. Sanders retired early and I blame the Lions ownership. Sanders once hinted that it had to do with the Lions owner's lack of the will to win. So yeah. They're ****ing losers. Now you can call that "blasting" because it is. Is Kraft a loser? Yeah, I guess so. He let Belichick chase off Brady, who had at least one more superbowl left in him. That superbowl win was the best **** you Bill he could have pulled off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Personally, I take it as it is. I greatly enjoyed the Manning era (and the abbreviated Luck era) and tried to remember, even during them, that we were witnessing generational greatness. I remember the early 90s/Jeff George era. I remember the Cardiac Colts. Irsay is overall a fantastic owner and we fans are lucky to have him. None of that changes, though, that the franchise is in a stretch of mediocrity not experienced in 30 years - largely because of decisions and actions of the front office.
    I think Irsay is a decent owner. He is one of the few owners who's wealth is the team. A lot of team owners were gazillionaires before they bought a club. Knowing that, it seems Irsay would naturally be more invested in positive outcomes involving the Colts. Opinions vary, but I view the Grigson/Pagano era as the most culpable regarding bad front office decisions. Pagano wasn't a very good HC, and Grigson, well, opinions vary and I'll withhold my opinion of him, both as a GM and person. I think Irsay is invested in Indiana and his passion is real. That's commendable.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

Are the Ford and Kraft families taking the Hoosier tax payers' money?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Measuring sticks? :scratch: Okay. The benchmarks criticizing an owner is when the owner makes decisions that turn out badly. I don't think the decision to hire Saturday made the Colts win or lose any games that they would have anyway. But, I also said I don't think Saturday is the guy. At least not yet. So now the owner, who hired his friend out of frustration, now has to fire his friend. I think that was a foolish decision. Is that "blasting" Irsay?

Is saying that Irsay should have fired Ballard "blasting" him? I said I'm not a fan of Irsay, anyway. Maybe that's what why you think any criticism is blasting him. But not liking him personally has nothing to do with some criticisms I think he deserves. Is what happened to the colts just bad luck? (no pun intended) I don't think so. I think he should fire Ballard and let the next GM find the next coach and figure out the QB situation. Instead, he signaled to Ballard that he can do no wrong.

And since you keep asking the questions I don't care about--we're not talking about the Lions. I'm not their fan. We're not talking about the Chiefs or the Patriots, I'm not a Chiefs fan--and I thought I was a Patriots fan and found out I'm really a Tom Brady fan after he moved to Tampa Bay. I could barely give a **** if the pats ever won again. Point is, I don't really care about any of those teams and I don't really have an opinion about the owners.

Well, wait. I do have an opinion about the Lions. I grew up in Michigan but was only a Lions fan when they had Sanders. It's pissed me off for all these years how little care about winning that Lions owners have had. Sanders retired early and I blame the Lions ownership. Sanders once hinted that it had to do with the Lions owner's lack of the will to win. So yeah. They're ****ing losers. Now you can call that "blasting" because it is. Is Kraft a loser? Yeah, I guess so. He let Belichick chase off Brady, who had at least one more superbowl left in him. That superbowl win was the best **** you Bill he could have pulled off.
    I think Irsay a decent man, who does the best he can with a small market team, though he may be somewhat eccentric. He is far from perfect and criticism is not blasting. Bringing up prior dependency issues, some of the other things said in this thread are just ridiculous. (Don’t believe you to have said such as I recall.)

Being a fan of the game I see other owners and their antics. Never seen Irsay do any of the crazy stuff some have done. I have never personally met the guy and have no desire to do so, but his actions managing the team he owns have always seemed reasonable, even if I disagree with the move.

I just spoke personally with a former player about the FR firing and he said that FR and staff had lost the locker room. Jerry Jones would leak that to the press, but not Irsay, he just did what needed to be done and that is why he went outside the staff for an interim HC.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    When they’re running great there’s nothing of substance to criticize. When they’re not, there is. It’s as simple as that.
    Look: it's not as if the Colts had a perfect roster during the Manning years. Back then, the salary cap was actually meaningful, and required making risk-reward decisions on personnel. The Colts invested heavily in skill positions (QB, WRs, RB), leading to the most potent offense possibly in NFL history, but also to a roster that was largely... adequate at best on defense. (See also: the current Kansas City roster.)

Today, the salary "cap" is barely a cap, and Ballard should have a much easier time putting together a competitive, balanced roster. He's proven that he fails to do that when he doesn't have the luxury of building around a franchise QB.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You need higher standard for a decent man

Unnecessary roughness, late hit, personal foul.

Irsay has been very open and forthright about his struggles. He's a mere human. He's made mistakes. He's also made amends and has advocated more than just about anyone (including you, I assume) for normalizing mental health issues, seeking help, and ending the stigma associated with such issues.

Criticize his actions as owner of the Colts all you want. But this sort of low blow merely reflects on you, not him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Unnecessary roughness, late hit, personal foul.

Irsay has been very open and forthright about his struggles. He's a mere human. He's made mistakes. He's also made amends and has advocated more than just about anyone (including you, I assume) for normalizing mental health issues, seeking help, and ending the stigma associated with such issues.

Criticize his actions as owner of the Colts all you want. But this sort of low blow merely reflects on you, not him.
    I think the commment to which he replied was stating that Irsay is a decent man on a person level. It’s fair, especially if you’ve ever been impacted by a drunk driver to think a DUI is a reasonable counterpoint to that. It has nothing to do with Irsay as a competent owner. But that wasn’t the bar.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom