Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    At the end of the day Colts fans enjoyed a period if success few team ever see. I expect there to be valley’s and peaks. It is telling that Irsay gets the blame from many fans but no credit for the success when that is brought up.
    Personally, I take it as it is. I greatly enjoyed the Manning era (and the abbreviated Luck era) and tried to remember, even during them, that we were witnessing generational greatness. I remember the early 90s/Jeff George era. I remember the Cardiac Colts. Irsay is overall a fantastic owner and we fans are lucky to have him. None of that changes, though, that the franchise is in a stretch of mediocrity not experienced in 30 years - largely because of decisions and actions of the front office.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All agreed, what is the time frame to call that owner into question? The owner being blasted in this thread ran the winningest franchise for over 10 years. If not for the misfortune of the second winningest franchise being in the same conference they likely would have had 2-4 more SB appearances.

Are the Ford family losers because the Lions struggle so much? How about the Hunt family? Until Reid and Mahomes they were pretty bad. Is Kraft now a loser after two decades of excellence but are struggling similar to the Colts? Just what is the measuring stick?

Irsay hired Poulian, Dungy, and others and let them do their jobs. He brought in the Tobin brothers to run things and they were a part of changing the franchise’s direction. In the 30 years since Irsay stepped down from being GM he has only had 5 GM’s, certainly not a turnover machine by any stretch.

It is rarely pretty when the divorce occurs Ballard came in with high praise from fans and media alike. If Luck had not flamed out I suspect things would have gone differently for him and in hindsight he would have done more to protect Luck.

I just do not see the meddling you guys claim, sounds like fair weather fans to me…
    I like the colts. Not a big fan of Irsay. Fanship doesn’t mean I have to heap praise on everything they do and everyone involved regardless. I get to opine on the things I don’t like. And being a fan doesn’t mean I have to be so loyal that I can’t dislike anything. But this is not the thread to argue about what it means to be a fan. I gave my opinion about things. You disagree, and that’s your opinion.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Personally, I take it as it is. I greatly enjoyed the Manning era (and the abbreviated Luck era) and tried to remember, even during them, that we were witnessing generational greatness. I remember the early 90s/Jeff George era. I remember the Cardiac Colts. Irsay is overall a fantastic owner and we fans are lucky to have him. None of that changes, though, that the franchise is in a stretch of mediocrity not experienced in 30 years - largely because of decisions and actions of the front office.
    When they’re running great there’s nothing of substance to criticize. When they’re not, there is. It’s as simple as that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So the truth is “spin”? The NFL is a tough business and I believe the Colts have done as well as anyone, even through the adversity years. I am befuddled at some of the posts here, like the team has hurt folks personally.
    Well, yes. It is spin when it’s selective. It’s true that the colts have been very successful. It’s also true that they haven’t been successful in many years. Irsay is trying to excuse the later by focusing only on the former. That is spin.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When the truth is contextualized in a way to make the present circumstances seem far better than they really are, yes that’s spin.

That’d be like the Bears saying, “You shouldn’t question what we do, because we have the 2nd most Super Bowls of any franchise in the history of the NFL. We have a track record of championship”

Technically the truth.

Also, they’ve won 1 playoff game in 15 years and haven’t won a Super Bowl in nearly 4 decades. Their record over the past 10 years is 79-98.

The truth matters, but so does context.
    I don’t think any resolution is possible. The argument is deeper than just the colts status as winners. At the root it is a difference of opinion about what it means to be a fan. If you’re of the thinking that to be a real fan, you don’t criticize, then you’ll be on that side of it.

I think a fan wants his team to always be successful and making the right decisions is a part of that. For example, I think Irsay should have ****-canned Ballard at least a couple of years ago. And I think people should criticize their team’s mistakes. That makes fans part of the process.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Frankly, I said it when they traded for Wentz that I would have rather seen them get Foles. Foles impressed me when he took over for the injured Wentz in Philly and lead the team to a championship
    I think that’s right. Foles didn’t show much after that for any team he played for. But he probably would have done better than Wentz for a lot less money. Maybe a better stop gap until the colts can find a franchise QB. I hope they choose well in the draft. But I’m gonna start throwing **** if they don’t have a solid qb after the dust settles post draft.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    At the end of the day Colts fans enjoyed a period if success few team ever see. I expect there to be valley’s and peaks. It is telling that Irsay gets the blame from many fans but no credit for the success when that is brought up.
    Hold on there. Irsay does deserve credit for the great colts teams. Why would he not deserve blame for the bad ones? Does winning a Superbowl when you has one if the greatest QB’s to play the game forgive all sins?

Last edited:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Interesting game tonight. Jaguars vs Jets. Jaguars have a legit shot at winning the AFC South if they can keep their hot streak going. Trevor Lawrence has been balling out over the past month.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I like the colts. Not a big fan of Irsay. Fanship doesn’t mean I have to heap praise on everything they do and everyone involved regardless. I get to opine on the things I don’t like. And being a fan doesn’t mean I have to be so loyal that I can’t dislike anything. But this is not the thread to argue about what it means to be a fan. I gave my opinion about things. You disagree, and that’s your opinion.
    Typical jamil, big answer to a question not asked. There have been a lot of personal attacks on Irsay recently and I asked why? I never said you cannot dislike what a team does. I never said one cannot criticize Irsay or the team. I asked if other respected owners were losers and named some, but no one answered the actual questions posed.

Are the Ford family losers because the Lions struggle so much? How about the Hunt family? Until Reid and Mahomes they were pretty bad. Is Kraft now a loser after two decades of excellence but are struggling similar to the Colts? Just what is the measuring stick?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Hold on there. Irsay does deserve credit for the great colts teams. Why would he not deserve blame for the bad ones? Does winning a Superbowl when you has one if the greatest QB’s to play the game forgive all sins?
    Backward. That was my question twisted. Posts here are blasting Irsay for the current situation but giving all the credit for past success to others.

Again, “It is telling that Irsay gets the blame from many fans but no credit for the success when that is brought up.”.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Typical jamil, big answer to a question not asked. There have been a lot of personal attacks on Irsay recently and I asked why? I never said you cannot dislike what a team does. I never said one cannot criticize Irsay or the team. I asked if other respected owners were losers and named some, but no one answered the actual questions posed.

And I guess now we get personal? C'mon man. It's football. No need to get ****ty. People voice their opinions on forums. You posted, and I gave my opinion about about your post.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I hope they choose well in the draft. But I’m gonna start throwing **** if they don’t have a solid qb after the dust settles post draft.
    That is silly thinking. The odds are the drafted QB fails. Less than half of first-round QBs manage a single 4000-yd or 24 touchdown season. That is pretty telling as the teams value those first round picks so highly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Backward. That was my question twisted. Posts here are blasting Irsay for the current situation but giving all the credit for past success to others.

Again, “It is telling that Irsay gets the blame from many fans but no credit for the success when that is brought up.”.
    It's a team. If they suck, they suck. Irsay is at the top of that. He's the ultimate decision maker. When he had Payton and Andrew, and the decent coaches he's had, he deserves credit for his role in bringing them to the team, even though those guys most directly impacted the success. He also deserves credit for basically signaling to Ballard that he's safe no matter what blunders he makes. Why do you get so upset when someone finds the flies in the ointment? I mean. You could always just simply disagree. Instead you get upset about it. It's okay not to be upset that someone doesn't have the same opinion you do.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is silly thinking. The odds are the drafted QB fails. Less than half of first-round QBs manage a single 4000-yd or 24 touchdown season. That is pretty telling as the teams value those first round picks so highly.

Well. That it's silly is your opinion. That's fine. I think I made a similar point as yours earlier. It's a maybe a little bit more than a crap-shoot, but not a lot more. Sometimes it's a Mahomes. Sometimes it's a Tribisky. Usually it's somewhere in between, but well south of Mahomes.

Colts need a franchise QB. Nothing Ballard has done since Luck retired has worked to that end. Clearly they're not going to "hasbeen" themselves there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom